Be a Supporter!
Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Downloadable Content Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 11:16 PM Reply

In recent times I have seen a lot of games that come out for low prices, or are sometimes free. With these games comes the basic setup, but the catch is that you have to pay for a lot of bonuses, or other things to make the game fun when it would have been alright to release it with the DLC as starting content.

How do you feel about games that have DLC, paying mind that some bonus content costs more than the game itself? Team Fortress 2 is a good note on this subject considering the bread and butter game is free, but it is filled with pay-to-win bonuses.

Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 11:22 PM Reply

Fuck DLC
It should all be put within the original release, and if the creators want to release something new for it, it should be totally free

fawnret
fawnret
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 01:08 AM Reply

As long as they don't rip it from the game I'm fine with dlc. I do enjoy getting some more out of a game after I've done everything already. There's a big difference between pre planned, already done dlc and dlc made post release. Good dlc would be something like Undead Nightmare. It's a self contained, separate bonus story. A bad example is something like all those characters in street fighter vs tekken that were on the disc already, but inaccessible so they could be dlc later. Really it just depends on how they go about it.

also Day one dlc is bullshit. Looking at you EA and Capcom

Gamertag: Catspirit123
home forum

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 02:14 AM Reply

At 10/17/12 01:44 AM, RightWingGamer wrote: /rant

I second this rant.

genewatts100
genewatts100
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 02:14 AM Reply

I think a number of the issues surrounding DLC of late mainly relate to fans' irritation with what has been made in to DLC and not the concept of DLC itself. I'm sure many people like the idea of purchasing a game and after completing it being given the option of additional levels, quests, characters or play through options. That would essentially be purchasing an expansion pack. However, if the DLC is say, characters in a fighting game that have come free with previous games or parts to a game that feel heavily stripped down without the DLC then I can understand the irritation. It's true that this is completely at the developers whim but that doesn't mean people have to agree with their decision and much like the developer has the right to make something DLC, the fans have every right to complain and refuse to purchase it.

As for on disk DLC (sort of an oxymoron), I can understand people's irritation. Capcom's BBB rating declined heavily because of it and the main reason is that it's a form of deception. When you purchase DLC the word "downloadable" is key. You are taking something from a server and applying it to an existing game that you own. If it's on disc, you obviously didn't download it, you just opened a small gate in the disc. So essentially you've been lied to about the service you've been given. Admittedly the end result is the same but if Capcom didn't think anyone would have a problem with it, they'd have been upfront and told people how content was being unlocked. People tend not to trust businesses that deceive them.

Nick8akon
Nick8akon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Writer
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 02:27 AM Reply

I third the rant, point is, some developers of these games (i mean ftp online ones), their source of income are the micro transactions, buying them is completely your choice, and the purchases help the producers make more cool shit. It's like what Tom is doing now, send some green, ads off for like a year, support the website for all of us. IT IS A DICK MOVE WHEN THE ITEM OR WHATEVER DISAPEARS AFTER A NUMBER OF DAYS!!!!!!!!! I'm looking at you Vindictus, the most time you can have stuff is like a month, >:0 why, would you do this to your fans T-T another is when you have to buy characters (Rusty hearts -_-#)

You can't always believe in me that believes in you, so when you can't, simon, believe in you, that believes in yourself.

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 03:44 AM Reply

At 10/16/12 11:16 PM, Sectus wrote: In recent times I have seen a lot of games that come out for low prices, or are sometimes free. With these games comes the basic setup, but the catch is that you have to pay for a lot of bonuses, or other things to make the game fun when it would have been alright to release it with the DLC as starting content.

I think DLC is alright. As long as they don't overdo it.

How do you feel about games that have DLC, paying mind that some bonus content costs more than the game itself? Team Fortress 2 is a good note on this subject considering the bread and butter game is free, but it is filled with pay-to-win bonuses.

Hold it right there... There is no DLC in Team Fortress 2, and there certainly isn't any pay-to-win bonuses. There's different weapons, but all of them have different up and downsides, but they can already be found in the game by just playing it.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG Trophy Leaderboard / NG User Icon Makers / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 04:20 AM Reply

At 10/16/12 11:16 PM, Sectus wrote: Team Fortress 2 is a good note on this subject considering the bread and butter game is free, but it is filled with pay-to-win bonuses.

The only thing that's pay-to-win about Team Fortress 2 is that if you want to get an unusual hat yourself you have to buy keys.. And you can trade stuff to get both the keys and the unusual, so you don't ever have to pay anything.

It isn't pay-to-win at all.

At 10/16/12 11:22 PM, Lionelion wrote: Fuck DLC
It should all be put within the original release, and if the creators want to release something new for it, it should be totally free

If they added every thing they possibly could then no open world game would come out ever. Rockstar's games and the new Fallout games have DLC done right. Full expansions.. and for Red Dead Redemption you don't even need the game to play undead nightmare.

I'm okay with DLC, as long as it isn't horse armour. I quite like that the original released game isn't necessarily the end result. After I play through the game and get tired of it they developers might add something that gets me back into playing the game again. What's wrong with that?

I'm against day 1 DLC and DLC that's already on the game disc when you get it. Even after they hit the deadline and stop making the game and begin making the DLC.. Why put it on the disc or release it on the day it comes out? Seriously, just wait a few weeks after the game comes out to release the DLC.

KiDX05
KiDX05
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 05:13 AM Reply

You got to keep making money from you games some how so offering dlc or content like in f2p games is understandable and welcomed I'd rather them support the game then forget about once it's released & dlc now a days is much better then 90's when you had to pretty much pay full price for a re-disked game that has the new feature I'm happy paying 10 - 15 for expansions & 1 - 5 for items rather then buying a game I already own a second time just cause it has one or two new things now.

Only DLC I don't agree with is day one it's on the disk it should be fucking free hell anything that's on the disk should be free none of this oh but it's on disk so everyone has it so everyone can see it when someone has purchased it bullshit.
The more a dlc costs the more it should offer as well lets say it's 15 bucks I'd expect two hours worth of story content or mp I'd expect at least 8maps some new weapons/or weapon/player skins, unlike other games that charge that much and give you fuck all for it.

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 09:23 AM Reply

DLC should only be for things coming in after the game has been made as little bonuses and should really be free in most cases to those who jhave the games. Most DLC doesn't class under expansion packs as we used to get to games, most of them are just petty little characters and the like and not entire new areas to explore in games. If they make an expansion pack DLC let's say Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge or Morrowind: Tribunal then those can be charged for, but tbh they should be provided with the original in bulk for no extra price these days, as I know Morrowind and its 2 expansions are in the game of the year edition. Anything less than a total expansion shouldn't have to be bought.

The worst part of DLC these days though is they are not expansions being made after the game is released anymore like they used to be. Now companies are purposefully not releasing all the game they create and purposefully not adding in characters or stages or endings etc. that already exist into the game which have been made just so they can sell them afterwards as "DLC" for more money. That is frankly a disgrace and I refuse to ever purchase any game which does that. Games should be released whole and complete, not incomplete with more things you then need to buy just so you actually have the game you were originally meant to possess.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
robotking98
robotking98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 10:28 AM Reply

I have no issue with free-to-play games having DLC that you pay for to get bonuses and such. What really irks me though is when you buy a game (Doesn't matter if it's PC or console, or how much it costs), and it requires that you pay more for DLC. In my opinion, if you're going to sell the original game to make money, then you should be releasing all the future content as updates to the game people have already paid for, not getting greedy and charging them for it. It's just bullshit marketing in my opinion, done by developers in order to rake more money in. It's like buying a car that doesn't have any wheels, and then having to buy the wheels separately from the same person/company.

Seriously, who even reads these things anymore?

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 11:27 AM Reply

At 10/17/12 10:28 AM, robotking98 wrote: It's like buying a car that doesn't have any wheels, and then having to buy the wheels separately from the same person/company.

No it's not. You buy a fully functional game, and then you buy dlc which is extra content, but the dlc isn't needed to run the game.
If you want to compare it to a car, then it's like buying a car and then buying a new radio or spoilers for the car.

Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG Trophy Leaderboard / NG User Icon Makers / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 12:29 PM Reply

I'm fine with it, up till the point where certain companies (EA) start gettin greedy. I will not support having to purchase an online pass TWICE just to play ME3 multiplayer. I know that's not exactly DLC but it's related. So aside from this, as long as DLC doesn't start becoming a "pay-to win" thing it's under control for now.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
robotking98
robotking98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 09:42 PM Reply

At 10/17/12 11:27 AM, LiquidFire wrote:
At 10/17/12 10:28 AM, robotking98 wrote: It's like buying a car that doesn't have any wheels, and then having to buy the wheels separately from the same person/company.
No it's not. You buy a fully functional game, and then you buy dlc which is extra content, but the dlc isn't needed to run the game.
If you want to compare it to a car, then it's like buying a car and then buying a new radio or spoilers for the car.

A car runs fine without wheels, but it doesn't do you much of anything if you don't have the wheels. Sadly, it's the same way with most games that have DLC, if you don't have the DLC, then you're either simply screwed, or it's not enjoyable. Half the time the DLC is about as necessary to enjoy the game as the actual copy of the game itself.

Seriously, who even reads these things anymore?

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 11:16 PM Reply

At 10/17/12 08:41 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: Gotta love all the spoiled brats here saying DLC needs to be free.

Like they're somehow entitled to the fruits of someone else's labor.

It's because we are entitled to finished games we pay the developers for.

I don't see anything wrong with dropping a few bucks for nice cosmetics or some new multiplayer maps. But it's robbery if devs are charging $15 for large chunks of content that should have been in the game initially.

Also, on-disk DLC shouldn't exist. If it's available on the disk, it should be free.

BBS Signature
Mr-Shark
Mr-Shark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 11:41 PM Reply

I almost never buy DLC, last time I paid for DLC was around the release of castle crashers on the xbox. Most games don't deserve my extra money.

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 12:21 PM Reply

At 10/17/12 09:42 PM, robotking98 wrote: A car runs fine without wheels, but it doesn't do you much of anything if you don't have the wheels. Sadly, it's the same way with most games that have DLC, if you don't have the DLC, then you're either simply screwed, or it's not enjoyable. Half the time the DLC is about as necessary to enjoy the game as the actual copy of the game itself.

Getting a car without wheels locks out of the main function of getting a car, which is traveling.
Buying a game without DLC doesn't lock you ot of the main function of a game, which is playing said game.
90% of DLC is extra stuff. Such as new missions, new campaing, new maps or skins etc. Those are not required to play the game.
The way you express yourself is that games are unplayable without all the DLC, which they're not.

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Downloadable Content Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 02:19 PM Reply

At 10/16/12 11:22 PM, Lionelion wrote: Fuck DLC

1 word: patches

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.