00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twmimic001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How about a 2-D Slender game?

2,213 Views | 19 Replies

How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-16 22:25:52

This seems like it should be doable. Essentially, a flat, top-down view of a character, his/her point of view shown from a flash-light, with everything else blacked out that isn't within the direction of the camera. The map would be randomly generated, and the Slenderman would be set as a randomly-teleporting entity that would appear anywhere, with a more focused attack/appearance when the character is nearing an exit/finding most of the notes.

Obviously this is the same as the 3-D version of the game in thought, but would be playable on newgrounds or on a tablet/smart phone in concept.

I don't have any java/programming experience, but the idea is free for the taking. I'd only like credit for the thought, though I'd not be surprised if someone is already preparing this very program right now. If not...heck, it should have been already!

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-16 22:36:24

Someone already did that and it sucked because slender doesnt fit well at all as a 2d game.

also slenderman is way too overrated.

:O

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-16 22:36:47

ugh

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-16 23:21:49

"You're a bit of a ghoul - aren't you?"---ZeroAsALimit.

BBS Signature

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-16 23:25:53

A girl in my English class thinks Slenderman is real.

He's from a fucking Somethingawful.com photoshop thread from like 2007 GRRUGGHHH

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-16 23:29:40

Several 2-D horror games have been made, but they're generally hit and miss. The best ones have always been point-and-click adventure games where the player is constantly under pressure from an impending threat.

I don't see how a orthographic game would successfully create tension and apprehension. And I especially don't see this cultural obsession with a photoshopped picture.

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-16 23:30:29

They should make a game where Slenderman wears a pink dress, and he has to push a hotdog through a donut.

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-17 00:17:22

no thanks

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-17 03:53:19

At 10/16/12 11:25 PM, Jester wrote: A girl in my English class thinks Slenderman is real.

He's from a fucking Somethingawful.com photoshop thread from like 2007 GRRUGGHHH

my mom claims to have seen something that resembled slenderman when she was 16 or 17

everyone's least favorite shitposter

grindr page

BBS Signature

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-17 05:24:52

At 10/17/12 03:15 AM, Urban-Champion wrote: slenderman games are nothing but a cheap scare. amnesia is a truly immersive horror experience

Finally someone who feels the same. I'm sick of "0mgz slender so scary!111!!!" -.- Play Amnesia and then tell me if you still think slender is scary

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-17 07:39:16

I'm not saying slender is scary. It's an engrossing experience the first few times, and it's really about survival, but it can give a pleasant jolt of adrenaline when played. I don't care if it's hipster to say the meme has reached pop-culture status and now everyone and their dog know of the Slenderman idea...if you don't like it, don't play it. I'm not twisting your arm!

Admittedly, from what I've seen Amnesia IS the tip-top of suspense/horror. But alas, Slender is popular, SIMPLE (that's key! No story to distract from the gameplay here), and effective...and the game that was created already? Yeah, that sucked, and didn't resemble at all what I was describing.

Everyone knows those zombie killing shooters? The ones that are either "defend your base" or "explore the building"? THAT'S the style I'm describing, with the light effect used to explore the rooms. Looking down UPON your character, not from the side. I don't know if THAT'S been done, but I think the effectiveness is two parts: proper visuals (which can be simple, not intense or in 3D or any special effects) and proper SOUNDS. The right sound and atmosphere can make the game pop out. Even one as simplistic as a 2-D survival horror.

I'm saying, it CAN be done, and if done right, can be VERY good. But hey, your opinion is just as valuable...all I'm asking is that you don't meander off into hipster arguments about how lame Slender is (hey, whatever floats your boat!) or how it's been done before or it's too stupid now that everyone knows about it.

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-17 08:09:57

At 10/16/12 10:36 PM, ProtomanBlues wrote: Someone already did that and it sucked because slender doesnt fit well at all as a 2d game.

also slenderman is way too overrated.

lol that game was an intentional joke

BBS Signature

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-17 09:01:31

Why are you going to make a game of a long dead meme? Its deader than rickrolling.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-17 09:15:04

At 10/16/12 11:21 PM, VJF wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/603088
It's already a game on here.

I have to say playing that I felt no sense of fear or discomfort playing, when he showed up it was really blatantly obvious and boring.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-17 09:28:17

At 10/17/12 09:17 AM, Rummy0 wrote: How about no.
It's from a dumb thread from like 2007
kept taking the piss out of it in 2008/09

So there was a one year gap where they were shitting themselves to the fakeness?

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-17 09:34:42

At 10/17/12 09:28 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: So there was a one year gap where they were shitting themselves to the fakeness?

It was just a stupid meme, are you really that thick? No one shit themselves because its not even scary.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-17 15:54:54

At 10/17/12 03:36 PM, Addict wrote:
Old people using the internet is the worst thing to happen to the internet.

old people are as bad as young people id say they are evenly as bad, plus the internet is atleast 20 years old around now right
so really some real old shits could have been internetting be4 we were cum

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-17 17:23:14

Slender has a dark, spooky and unpredictable feeling to it because its a first-person game. Being able to see what's going on through the person's eyes and only seeing what they see brings the feelings of the game to the maximum, whereas a top-down 2D game makes you feel powerful, and if the character dies, you'll just watch his/her death and not take part. A top-down game would also make it easier for the player to escape the Slenderman, where the 3D environment makes it unpredictable until the last moment.

Though I was wondering - is it possible to create a 3D environment (or at least, a single 3D object) in Flash? Just curious.

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-18 00:25:19

A top-down game would be hard unless the map rotated so that players always faced forward. Because Slender moves so fast later on in the game. making 90 or 45 degree turns with a top-down view would result in instant death. That's why Slender works best as a first person game.

I think it would be best if Slender were ported to Flash. Since it was made in Unity, it should be playable in a browser.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to How about a 2-D Slender game? 2012-10-18 21:25:19

At 10/18/12 12:25 AM, Kwing wrote: A top-down game would be hard unless the map rotated so that players always faced forward. Because Slender moves so fast later on in the game. making 90 or 45 degree turns with a top-down view would result in instant death. That's why Slender works best as a first person game.

I think it would be best if Slender were ported to Flash. Since it was made in Unity, it should be playable in a browser.

See, that's a good idea. Obviously, the 3D game would be more effective, but just because it's first-person doesn't mean it can't be somewhat suspenseful if it was in 2D. A randomly generated map would supply a better "scarefest" than a precreated map.

And I don't care if it's a "dead meme." It's MASS popular now, so why not take advantage? If anything, it can inspire a style of game that hasn't been tried yet. Things like point-and-click games were original at one time, after all.