New Topic Respond to this Topic
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 05:57 PM Reply

like really, there aren't tthat many good games on it besides mario, elda and earthbound, everything else is crappy sidescrollers or 8 bit versions of arcade games nobody likes like joust.

so tell me, why it is it better than N64, SNES, Playstation series and PC?

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 05:59 PM Reply

At 10/16/12 05:57 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: like really, there aren't tthat many good games on it besides mario, elda and earthbound, everything else is crappy sidescrollers or 8 bit versions of arcade games nobody likes like joust.

oopsie i meant Zelda

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 06:41 PM Reply

At 10/16/12 05:57 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: like really, there aren't tthat many good games on it besides mario, elda and earthbound, everything else is crappy sidescrollers or 8 bit versions of arcade games nobody likes like joust.

The Nes I believe was mainly enjoyed for the gameplay ,I don't think the storylines for most of the games on that system are really that plot driven outside of the Rpgs and that maybe some of the most establish series have started first on that system which is probably good to how it begin. Some of the arcade conversions were actually getting better that time though not exactly faithful to the original.

Crazywill
Crazywill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 07:04 PM Reply

Who said it was better? For me, it was the first game system I owned, and as such, it holds a special nostalgic place in my heart. As maudlin as that sounds, I'm sure it's the same for most people that owned an NES. Besides, there are more than just three good games on the NES, and most of the ones on there are venerable classics. Kid Icarus, Metroid, Super Mario Brothers, Zelda, Star Tropics, each one greater than the last. Or something like that.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

SmashLuigiFan1
SmashLuigiFan1
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 07:05 PM Reply

You obviously don't know that much about the NES. So many classics came from this one console, like Castlevania, Metroid, Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Final Fantasy, and many more. Although, at least 70% of the games released for it were crap.

"It's easier to talk about the bad than to understand the good." - Jirard Khalil
"This was a mistake." - Jirard Khalil, 2013
"Use your heart and Boost fire!"

Crink
Crink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 07:48 PM Reply

because they grew up playing it

hey

BBS Signature
Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 07:52 PM Reply

Since when has anyone ever said this?

No one would say it was the best console ever, but its significance for the industry can't be denied. It had lots of innovative features like multiscreen games, the d-pad, etc... It saved the industry from repetitice Atari games and arcades, and it established lots of modern franchises.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 08:07 PM Reply

The NES shows the start of all the amazing series that Nintendo still holds today. Personally I prefer the Super Nintendo, but the original is one of the top three consoles of all time. It would be solely for Super Mario Bros alone.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 08:19 PM Reply

It's a combination of irony and nostalgia.

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Gamer
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 08:44 PM Reply

At 10/16/12 05:57 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote:

Nobody ever said it was, and it was so revolutionary and had one of the biggest libraries at the time.

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 09:57 PM Reply

The NES is the system that saved the video game industry in the 80's, and with that created a foundation of games franchises that many people recognize and some are still continuing to this day, whether on Nintendo or in other consoles. Nostalgic factor aside, the NES introduced the whole world to games and iconic franchises such as Mario, Zelda and so on, and subsequent consoles have continued to improve and even perfect said game franchises.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 10:26 PM Reply

NES had more good games than just the Mario Trilogy and Zelda. There was also Galaga, Duck Hunt, Metroid, S.C.A.T (unfortunate name, I know) Megaman, Castlevania, etc.

However, I do think SNES and N64 were better. I still play my N64.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 04:46 AM Reply

The NES became obsolete for me really fast - That is why my family sold it.

SNES was a lot better, but N64 was dee-best!

KiDX05
KiDX05
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 05:15 AM Reply

Because a vast majority of us grew up with the nes/snes & playstation and so on so we'll always hold them and their games dear just like kids growing up with ps3 & xboxs will mostly hold them dear.

BBS Signature
kiljoy96
kiljoy96
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 08:33 AM Reply

You forgot Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania, to name a few.
I love the music and gameplay from some NES games, but some are just shit. Most of the people who you hear about liking it are hipsters who think being retro is cool.

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 12:59 PM Reply

At 10/16/12 05:57 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: so tell me, why it is it better than N64, SNES, Playstation series and PC?

Well probably because N64 games have aged like ass and run at about 5fps, but I don't think anyone legitimately likes the NES more than the SNES. Some games have aged well and it laid the groundwork for some of the biggest franchises in the industry.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 04:58 PM Reply

A lot of people have nostalgia for it and you can't deny its place in video gaming history. After Atari crashed in the 1980s, Nintendo really did help to bring video games back to the American marketplace.

Also, the NES has a lot of other cool games besides the ones you listed. Ever tried Kirby's Adventure?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 05:24 PM Reply

At 10/17/12 04:46 AM, Painbringer wrote: The NES became obsolete for me really fast - That is why my family sold it.

We got an NES long after its days were over, but I played the Mario games, Duck Hunt, Duck Talez, and Galaga constantly. Those were the only good games we actually owned. Jaws was crap and TMNT was too freaking hard. But I got to rent some other good games for it. Actually, I mentioned TMNT being too hard, but S.C.A.T was even harder, but still awesome.

At 10/17/12 12:59 PM, Jackho wrote: Well probably because N64 games have aged like ass and run at about 5fps

Not all of the N64 games have aged so badly. I still think OoT, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Kirby 64, Mario 64, Mischief Makers, and Yoshi's Story are all really good.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 06:25 PM Reply

because people got tired of good graphics and 3d gameplay

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Keith
Keith
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 20th, 2012 @ 01:00 AM Reply

NES is a well loved system because of the countless classics that it produced. It gave birth to many series that people love and still play till today. Also it was a lot about gameplay, even though a lot of the games were hard. The games were so hard that a lot of people refer to it as Nintendo hard.

Not too many consoles have done as much as the NES has. Although personally, my favourite console of all time is the SNES.

PrincessLuna
PrincessLuna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 20th, 2012 @ 04:26 AM Reply

It's just the beautiful sense of nostalgia that you get, simple as. It's like thinking about playing Sonic the Hedgehog on the Megadrive for the first time. It was a beautiful moment, like listening to the Beatles for the first time.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to why do so many people like the nes? Oct. 20th, 2012 @ 04:33 AM Reply

I can't say I'm a great NES player myself but I can definitely see where this console made a huge impact on video games. The console's games library certainly has its own charm with the graphics and music. Also, I would not consider Mega Man games as "crappy sidescrollers" so there's those games to be excited for.

[ BBS / Chat / Icon / Portal Möd ]

Formerly Bahamut