New Topic Respond to this Topic
WeHaveFreshCookies
WeHaveFreshCookies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Game Developer
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-16 15:37:04 Reply

My favorite part is when they said that the assailant was released without charges.

Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-16 15:58:15 Reply

I think people should have the freedom to protest and speak their minds, but I hate WBC so much, so I'm conflicted.

Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-16 16:28:19 Reply

At 10/16/12 11:59 AM, Shockoach wrote: "Yay, a person who's a part of a religion got beat up! Maybe next someone will sodomize a priest!"

That's probably just you if you seriously thinks religions are represented by psychotic extremists like these guys.

You best be trolling.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
SqueezyLemon
SqueezyLemon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-16 16:29:14 Reply

At 10/16/12 09:16 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/westboro-baptist-ch urch-video_n_1967661.html

To be fair, he had it coming.

I'm so excited to read this, oh my god.

BBS Signature
Gario
Gario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-16 17:06:36 Reply

What they do is purposely on the fringe of harassment (they nearly measure the goddamn line where it's consider harassment and abuse people right outside of it). They are not exercising free speech - they're purposely intimidating others into breaking the law. Laws are supposed to bend and change given the need. The need has arisen against these people - why hasn't anyone had the good sense to create new laws that increase boundaries and/or allow grieving individuals further protection from them?

I'm sure there's an argument as to how that could be abused somehow, but I don't see it, yet.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-16 19:32:43 Reply

At 10/16/12 02:29 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 10/16/12 01:21 PM, naronic wrote: While I hate the WBC with a passion, this isn't a win. Free speech should be good and alive for everyone and censorship through violent means is a slippery slope people
Free speech is a good thing, but when you go overboard by attempting to stomp on the American flag during a funeral, your free speech should be null and void. Sure, they hate America, but any form of destroying the country's symbol is a no-no.

Again, slippery slope, I dislike their behavior just as much as the next guy but if we allow censorship (especially by these means) when does it stop?
What if it becomes okay to beat someone up for saying "I hate babies" or "F*ck Americans", would that be overboard? Because some people would consider it so.

BBS Signature
TB1ZZL3
TB1ZZL3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-16 19:36:37 Reply

At 10/16/12 02:14 PM, Wegra wrote: Dude I can't see shit what's going on in that video

I think a cop started dragging him off because he was getting out of control and then a bunch of others decided to charge him.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-16 21:03:39 Reply

If I ever see a WBC picket line, I won't hurt any of them, I'll just give them a taste of REAL venom, I could say things to them like,

"Jesus sucks satans fat hairy cock every night before taking it up the ass by gay soldiers you cum sucking parasites. Go back to your gutter drains you shit eating vermin before the birds of prey come to snack on your disease infested asses."

In fact I'm gonna see if theres a way I can send that to them in an e-mail.

And to answer the freedom of speech question. Yes, they have that freedom, but lets face it, they are using that freedom to oppress people who are only attempting to morn a fallen loved one and hero. The constitution protects the right to free speech, but what most forget, is it also says that should the people become oppressed, they should rise up against their oppressors, which is what happened here. Rights become tools of malice once they are abused.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-17 20:55:17 Reply

At 10/16/12 07:32 PM, naronic wrote:
At 10/16/12 02:29 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 10/16/12 01:21 PM, naronic wrote:
Again, slippery slope, I dislike their behavior just as much as the next guy but if we allow censorship (especially by these means) when does it stop?

I don't think your getting it, freedom of speech means no one can stop you from saying what you want to say, but it also implies to everyone else as well as a response. There is a technical term of "fighting words" which are designed to instigate people, which WBC has done in practically ever appearance, though there is some grey area with fighting words in general. There is no censorship issue here, just good old fashioned street justice.

What if it becomes okay to beat someone up for saying "I hate babies" or "F*ck Americans", would that be overboard? Because some people would consider it so.

Once again, just because you can say those things under freedom of speech doesn't make it okay to say it in public, much akin to yelling "Fire!" in a theater when there is none. And let's be honest here, freedom of speech doesn't apply when it comes to a public beatdown, especially if they {WBC} had it coming.

Not for nothing, but please spell out the cuss words, no one cares if you curse here or not.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
EisUndStahl
EisUndStahl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-19 23:13:38 Reply

Well, When you hold up signs thanking god for dead soldiers at a dead soldiers funeral, you are just asking to get your ass kicked. It's too bad someone hasn't killed them all yet.

Emma
Emma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-19 23:43:16 Reply

Can't wait till one of them dies so I can go troll the fuck out of their funeral by having nonstop sex with my girlfriend in the lawn.

BBS Signature
POTaTOS
POTaTOS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-19 23:52:42 Reply

There is justice in this world.

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-20 04:57:31 Reply

At 10/16/12 01:21 PM, naronic wrote: While I hate the WBC with a passion, this isn't a win. Free speech should be good and alive for everyone and censorship through violent means is a slippery slope people

So breaking the law because of a slipery slope fallacy?

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-20 04:58:48 Reply

At 10/20/12 04:57 AM, BumFodder wrote: So breaking the law because of a slipery slope fallacy?

*is fine

im tired

Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-20 05:03:15 Reply

Nice! I hope this happens more often.

At 10/16/12 09:48 AM, MonthlyVolatile wrote: I could hardly even see anything in that video.

Go to it on Youtube and click 1080p. It's more than a little better

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Westboro member gets beaten up 2012-10-20 06:41:27 Reply

At 10/16/12 09:38 AM, Aliensandwich wrote: It's a shame the family is made up of lawyers, otherwise this shit would happen every time. I'm glad someone actually decided to do something about those cocks.

Those damn cockerels.

R O A $ T D U C K - Soundcloud
ϫ It's a metaphor you potato with eyes ϫ

BBS Signature