New Topic Respond to this Topic
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 19th, 2012 @ 04:16 PM Reply

Hehe ok then I'll mix. Send me tracks as and when or let me know when I'm needed. I can start mixing once we have a part for every instrument (and not before because they have to all work together).

I'll also need information on the direction you all want the piece to go sonically - do you want a certain instrument to be more important? Should the guitars be in the front (like in rock music) or in the background (like in cinematic music). Things like that, but only once the piece has been started of course. :)

Also, thanks for the kind words on the music, much appreciated. As for the sibilance I think I hear what you mean and I think it's because I use Ozone 5's harmonic distortion to add a crisp sound to the track. Either way, thanks for pointing it out, it will be handy in the future.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 19th, 2012 @ 06:09 PM Reply

At 10/19/12 04:16 PM, MetalRenard wrote: I think it's because I use Ozone 5's harmonic distortion to add a crisp sound to the track.

That's what I'll be using when mastering ;)

Either way, thanks for pointing it out, it will be handy in the future.

No worries. Btw, I have a pair of Yamaha MSP5's as my stereo monitors. They have a somewhat trashy sound in comparison to most other monitors. I like this because it makes me work harder to achieve a nice sound, but everything sounds a bit harsher than it is.

My point is, the speakers I listened to your mix with have a very crisp/harsh high end, and perhaps that's why I picked up on the slightest sibilance clash. If that track was played on most sound systems, it probably wouldn't be a noticeable issue.

RobSoundtrack
RobSoundtrack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 19th, 2012 @ 06:18 PM Reply

At 10/19/12 04:16 PM, MetalRenard wrote:
I'll also need information on the direction you all want the piece to go sonically - do you want a certain instrument to be more important? Should the guitars be in the front (like in rock music) or in the background (like in cinematic music). Things like that, but only once the piece has been started of course. :)

I think it will be hard to tell until we get parts sent in.

Anyone have a roster??
Who is doing what

....What am I doing???? LOL

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 19th, 2012 @ 07:18 PM Reply

At 10/19/12 06:18 PM, RobSoundtrack wrote:
I think it will be hard to tell until we get parts sent in.

Anyone have a roster??
Who is doing what

....What am I doing???? LOL

Done :)

(Note: The roster is incomplete and comprehensive until we have designated parts and know everyone who will join)

Orchestra-

DivoFST
Stunkel
TroisNyxEtienne

Piano -

ObsidianSnow (will be first choice since itâEUTMs their only choice)
Zelazon
Camoshark
Stunkel
TroisNyxEtienne

Lead-

Camoshark
Zelazon

Guitar-

Jay Summers
Robsoundtrack
DivoFST
Metallica1136

Electro synths-

Yoshiii
Syztm
JJM121
DivoFST

Percussion- (lol, most popular choice)

Computer112 (will be first choice since itâEUTMs their only choice)
Camoshark
Yoshiii
Syztm
Robsoundtrack
Stunkel
Metallica1136

Bass-

Yoshiii
Syztm
Metallica1136

Pads-

Zelazon
JJM121

Mixing-

Imortal
Robsoundtrack
MetalRenard

Mastering-

Imortal
Robsoundtrack
MetalRenard

Sound Design-

MetalRenard

Extra Stuff (including Soundfonts)-

HalcyonicFalconX
TroisNyxEtienne

Basically, the people who sign up for multiple parts will most likely being doing only one of those parts... Maybe a collaboration of harmonies or specific drum parts between the people who signed up for the parts probably is in order. We'll figure it out eventually.

RobSoundtrack
RobSoundtrack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 19th, 2012 @ 09:49 PM Reply

Awesome job Zelazon!

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 19th, 2012 @ 10:20 PM Reply

Aww, can I do Lead too?

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 19th, 2012 @ 10:25 PM Reply

At 10/19/12 10:20 PM, Computer112 wrote: Aww, can I do Lead too?

Yea, that's fine... I won't update the list till later on (I don't want to do updates too soon) but feel free to try your hand at a lead part whenever we start submitting for it.

JJM121
JJM121
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 20th, 2012 @ 05:55 PM Reply

Yep, this list looks pretty good. Everyone got their own strengths.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 21st, 2012 @ 02:26 AM Reply

So...who's starting?

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 21st, 2012 @ 02:41 PM Reply

At 10/21/12 02:26 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: So...who's starting?

Whoever wants to... We're going to start with a chord progression, so if you have any idea, feel free to post them up whenever you like. This collab won't be time strenuous (except for the end of the sign-up date so it doesn't seem like someone can join 6 months down the line lol).

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 21st, 2012 @ 04:02 PM Reply

I suggest Skype for a best communication. I'll stop to be invisible from now on.

my Skype nick is computer11255

BBS Signature
stunkel
stunkel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 01:20 AM Reply

How about people post what style they want the song to be. And are we sticking with electro orchestral? But besides that fact. Are we going for a film score feel? Or does anyone have an idea of how happy or how sad we should make the song? I think we should all be in agreement on it. Do we want a swing feel to it? Do we want a sad slow intro building into an epic head bobbing song. I guess just write down the emotion you feel the song should have? Or post an example of the style of the song? Maybe that will help

Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

JJM121
JJM121
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 02:00 AM Reply

As long as the track is suited to allow everyone to do their part, anything should be fine. But the idea of a single track with different sections with each one having a different mood to it sounds nice.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 02:24 AM Reply

At 10/22/12 02:00 AM, JJM121 wrote: As long as the track is suited to allow everyone to do their part, anything should be fine. But the idea of a single track with different sections with each one having a different mood to it sounds nice.

yea, I was thinking about doing something like this earlier, but I was worried it may end up sounding like the 2nd collab unless we all can contribute to each transition or (even better idea) have certain people switch up parts on different mood so that they can get all the parts that they want to... That's not a bad idea at all!

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 03:29 AM Reply

If you do that then just watch out for how everything transitions, you don't want it to sound like a bunch of broken up parts trying to fit in together.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:09 PM Reply

At 10/22/12 03:29 AM, MetalRenard wrote: If you do that then just watch out for how everything transitions, you don't want it to sound like a bunch of broken up parts trying to fit in together.

I think most of us here can deal with transition effectively. And also since this is pretty much going to be an open collaboration, we can work with those who aren't effective with their part so the song is beautifully constructed... I want to take this collab with the same kind of care that I would with any of my songs.

Metallica1136
Metallica1136
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:46 PM Reply

At 10/21/12 02:41 PM, zelazon wrote:
Whoever wants to... We're going to start with a chord progression, so if you have any idea, feel free to post them up whenever you like. This collab won't be time strenuous (except for the end of the sign-up date so it doesn't seem like someone can join 6 months down the line lol).

Yeah, a chord progression is good to start with. I could probably share the first .wav or .mp3 file. Do you have any specific chord progression ideas, or do you want me to come up with that on my own? I play in pretty much any key. (Keys like Eb, A, and D being some of my favorites)

Searching for the answers. There's a universe inside us all. Every passing lifetime. Important as the last.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:45 PM Reply

Yeah, a chord progression is good to start with. I could probably share the first .wav or .mp3 file. Do you have any specific chord progression ideas, or do you want me to come up with that on my own? I play in pretty much any key. (Keys like Eb, A, and D being some of my favorites)

Go ahead... if anyone wants me to start a vote on the chord progression, just let me know, and I'll pm everyone in the collab with some chord choices.

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 23rd, 2012 @ 10:03 PM Reply

I vote for A minor!!! Or C major!

BBS Signature
stunkel
stunkel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:09 PM Reply

At 10/23/12 05:46 PM, Metallica1136 wrote:
At 10/21/12 02:41 PM, zelazon wrote:

Perhaps everyone should name their 2 favorite keys and then we decide which one is chosen the most?

Here is my vote in order
F major
B flat major

Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 01:10 PM Reply

At 10/23/12 11:09 PM, stunkel wrote: Perhaps everyone should name their 2 favorite keys and then we decide which one is chosen the most?

Here is my vote in order
F major
B flat major

You guys might want to list out the chord progression more so than the key so we have an idea of what progression you want to do.

I will also be updating the list tomorrow for any changes to the list of participants as well as any part changes made.

DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 02:44 PM Reply

Personally i like minor keys.

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 04:27 AM Reply

hello everyone i've got some fairly bad news.
my headphones broke, and i'm going on a trip (back by Sunday).
so...yeah.

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 29th, 2012 @ 07:28 PM Reply

I spent a little time playing with some potential progressions. I'll upload an mp3 and some MIDIs to the file share of one I liked. Go ahead and play with that, discuss, etc.

The files should be up by the time anyone reads this.

Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature
ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 29th, 2012 @ 07:40 PM Reply

Apologies for the double post, realised that I didn't mention this: I would not, by any means, expect that we could do an entire song with two 4-5 chord lines. I was hoping to try and spread the work of building a progression between all of the folks who wanted to help with that, more or less equally. So I encourage you to try and add on other progressions, make transitions, change things, whatever. Hence why I uploaded the MIDI.

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 29th, 2012 @ 10:39 PM Reply

So, what notes are we gonna use?

And do this collab even have a due date?

BBS Signature
ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 29th, 2012 @ 11:32 PM Reply

At 10/29/12 10:39 PM, dem0lecule wrote: So, what notes are we gonna use?

We haven't decided yet. And besides:

At 10/18/12 04:17 PM, dem0lecule wrote: I have no opinion since I am all for drums, means I am all for everything you say.

... So I'm not exactly sure why you're wondering what key we'd be using.

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 02:11 AM Reply

Apologies for the double post, realised that I didn't mention this: I would not, by any means, expect that we could do an entire song with two 4-5 chord lines. I was hoping to try and spread the work of building a progression between all of the folks who wanted to help with that, more or less equally. So I encourage you to try and add on other progressions, make transitions, change things, whatever. Hence why I uploaded the MIDI.

Sounds like a good idea :D! Also, we can also have people submitting different chord progression that are entirely different just to see what other people might come up with, but the chord progression you've submitted sounds really nice.

So, what notes are we gonna use?

Notes? That really depends on the key that the chord is using, so you'll have to pay attention to what you hearing from the chord progression or make your own so you know what notes to use.

And do this collab even have a due date?

I think I've stated this before, but this is going to be a mostly open-ended collab. It might be finished at a certain point... it might not... but at least we're working on something together. However, there is an end date to signing up for the collab, so other than that, until we know everyone who's participating in the collab, I'm not going to make any conclusions yet.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 08:30 AM Reply

Pardon my late post (I did realise the SS Discussion Thread was up a while back, but I had assignments to tend to). Have we decided on the key/genre?

One thing I want us to be mindful of is that because this is a collab, we run the risk of all our parts sounding different.

I used to take part in one similar single session collab, and this was with Mario Paint users... Compare this with this and this. All three collabs were done by teams of eight people, all during the summer last year.

Ideally, we want our parts to sound like they are all done by one person. We want to borrow themes from the previous sections, we want to borrow chords, we want to borrow composing styles. Here, we're listening out for each other. Stream-of-consciousness collabs happen a lot of times, but collabs with songs that sound like they've been done by one person -- now these are a little more difficult to find and to pull off.

AMDG ✝

Blank slate, with no project files from years past to base oneself on.

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to S.s. Collab Discussion Thread Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 10:22 AM Reply

At 10/30/12 08:30 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: One thing I want us to be mindful of is that because this is a collab, we run the risk of all our parts sounding different.

Yes, absolutely. Part of that is resolved by the fact that one person is mixing everything, the goal is to make it sound as unified as possible. Of course it's still important to keep that in mind when recording a guitar part or something.

Veteran REAPER user.