Be a Supporter!

NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners!

  • 15,366 Views
  • 106 Replies
Respond to this Topic
Razz
Razz
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 09:29 PM Reply

Last year's TOFA winning submission was much, much better.


BBS Signature
Kuoke
Kuoke
  • Member since: May. 25, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Artist
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 09:53 PM Reply

Thanks guys.

I hope people don't forget the community aspect of community events.

BBS Signature
Saminat
Saminat
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 09:57 PM Reply

Well, I'd be lying if I wasn't the tiniest bit dissapointed, but I'd also be lying if I said I didn't have fun! Sure, winning would have been swell, but I still got some attention, and I was able to make a few friends along the way! So congratulations Kuoke! I pray that I get to go up against you again!


A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 10:24 PM Reply

At 10/15/12 09:57 PM, Saminat wrote: I was able to make a few friends along the way!

Yeah, this part is the most important I feel; we couldn't finish, but now I have people for future projects (and my Skype contact list looks fuller :3). It's a tough call between random and premade teams, I'd want to work with these guys again, but I'd also want to mix it up after a few jams to make it interesting.

Don't even care about Elvidian. I HAVE AN ARTIST NOW, MY LIFE IS COMPLETE

Jazza
Jazza
  • Member since: Oct. 31, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 10:34 PM Reply

Win or no win, the main reason my team and I enter the jams is between working on large releases that take years to complete, it's refreshing to work over a small amount of time and release something quality, it's a fresh challenge and break from our heavy workloads.

I enjoy the jams massively and promote them on my Youtube channel, everyone participates in them for different reasons and gets different things out of them. Some people love random teams and meeting new people, and while I think that's great, it's not my motivation, I love making and finishing a project I'm proud of in a short time, and that works best with a team I'm used to working with.


follow me: TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 10:48 PM Reply

At 10/15/12 10:34 PM, Jazza wrote:
I enjoy the jams massively and promote them on my Youtube channel, everyone participates in them for different reasons and gets different things out of them. Some people love random teams and meeting new people, and while I think that's great, it's not my motivation, I love making and finishing a project I'm proud of in a short time, and that works best with a team I'm used to working with.

Damn you Jazza and your Elvidian goons for committing and completing cool stuff in the allowed time! I hate u all.


None

Saminat
Saminat
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 10:52 PM Reply

At 10/15/12 10:34 PM, Jazza wrote: Win or no win, the main reason my team and I enter the jams is between working on large releases that take years to complete, it's refreshing to work over a small amount of time and release something quality, it's a fresh challenge and break from our heavy workloads.

I enjoy the jams massively and promote them on my Youtube channel, everyone participates in them for different reasons and gets different things out of them. Some people love random teams and meeting new people, and while I think that's great, it's not my motivation, I love making and finishing a project I'm proud of in a short time, and that works best with a team I'm used to working with.

Jazza, while I myself have no qualms with you entering, I think people are upset about more than just you. People are a bit upset that they go through the hard work of making something, and finding that you overshadow them. Tom put several of the art jam pictures on the post, probably because there is no art jam collection page to begin with, but he didn't put anyone else's on there. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't take it personal, ok? Just keep up your stuff.


A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 11:04 PM Reply

At 10/15/12 10:52 PM, Saminat wrote: Jazza, while I myself have no qualms with you entering, I think people are upset about more than just you. People are a bit upset that they go through the hard work of making something, and finding that you overshadow them. Tom put several of the art jam pictures on the post, probably because there is no art jam collection page to begin with, but he didn't put anyone else's on there. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't take it personal, ok? Just keep up your stuff.

This exactly. I LOVE Jazza's shit and don't mind him doing jams, but to see Tom only mentioning 2 games in his post while also giving him first place for the third time and the only prize makes me feel left out, like I should stop trying...


BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 11:35 PM Reply

At 10/15/12 11:04 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: This exactly. I LOVE Jazza's shit and don't mind him doing jams, but to see Tom only mentioning 2 games in his post while also giving him first place for the third time and the only prize makes me feel left out, like I should stop trying...

I guess I underestimated how much people like being in the post, it really is hard to pick runner-ups when a lot of the games were in the same league as each other and they are all featured on a page that is being publicized.

When I see people complain about Jazza's team being too pro too participate, it just gets me really mad on some gut level. I don't want the bar to be lowered, I want it to be raised. I want other game devs to come see our Game Jam results and be impressed by all the awesome games and want to get their friends together, make a spiffy logo and try to impress everyone with their own showing. And beginners who know they can't compete with the quality of the pros should just try and be that much crazier and more experimental.

The next jam could have three winners, or we could try no winners. And I'm fine with alternating between random teams and organized teams, both have their positive and negative points.


This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Saminat
Saminat
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 11:44 PM Reply

At 10/15/12 11:35 PM, TomFulp wrote: When I see people complain about Jazza's team being too pro too participate, it just gets me really mad on some gut level. I don't want the bar to be lowered, I want it to be raised. I want other game devs to come see our Game Jam results and be impressed by all the awesome games and want to get their friends together, make a spiffy logo and try to impress everyone with their own showing. And beginners who know they can't compete with the quality of the pros should just try and be that much crazier and more experimental.

The next jam could have three winners, or we could try no winners. And I'm fine with alternating between random teams and organized teams, both have their positive and negative points.

No, that's not at all what I mean! I enjoy it when Jazza joins in, in fact, if he didn't, we wouldn't see that much of him on the site that often. I understand that you want there to be challenge, and I wouldn't want it any other way, it's just that people I guess are a bit to oriented on recognition. All I'm suggesting is maybe add a few more submissions into a sort of finalists category, like you did with the art. But please, for the love of Pete, don't ban Jazza!


A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 11:46 PM Reply

At 10/15/12 11:35 PM, TomFulp wrote: I don't want the bar to be lowered, I want it to be raised.

It's more of a "give someone else a shot to win the prize money" too. Cuz like i said Jazza won 2 times before...
Sorry about making you upset though.


BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 11:48 PM Reply

At 10/15/12 11:35 PM, TomFulp wrote: The next jam could have three winners, or we could try no winners. And I'm fine with alternating between random teams and organized teams, both have their positive and negative points.

Personally, I think that the best part of the jam experience is actually meeting completely new people and working with a new team that you have no or little prior experience with. I think that helps develop a lot more of your skills than working with people you know would be, as well as the fact that I think just the social networking of it brings the community that much closer.
That's why I really enjoyed when the teams were randomized, because you would work with people you would never have thought of in the first place and you can make new friends and grow much more than you would have if you were just with people you knew and were comfortable with. Being outside of that comfort zone is what allows you to develop your skills.

Saminat
Saminat
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 11:50 PM Reply

At 10/15/12 11:48 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
Personally, I think that the best part of the jam experience is actually meeting completely new people and working with a new team that you have no or little prior experience with. I think that helps develop a lot more of your skills than working with people you know would be, as well as the fact that I think just the social networking of it brings the community that much closer.
That's why I really enjoyed when the teams were randomized, because you would work with people you would never have thought of in the first place and you can make new friends and grow much more than you would have if you were just with people you knew and were comfortable with. Being outside of that comfort zone is what allows you to develop your skills.

Exactly! That would be totally cricket! Making the teams randomized so that people can meet each other, and that there won't be so many juggernaut-like groups.


A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 11:51 PM Reply

At 10/15/12 11:50 PM, Saminat wrote: Exactly! That would be totally cricket! Making the teams randomized so that people can meet each other, and that there won't be so many juggernaut-like groups.

Yeah random teams from now on seems like it would be the most fair.


BBS Signature
EthanAlways
EthanAlways
  • Member since: Mar. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Filmmaker
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 11:54 PM Reply

Yo, I'm just glad to have participated. This is my first year with NewGrounds and I've felt more than blessed to have gotten to work with so many talented people, for both Game and Movie Jam. Its just exciting to have a final product that you can look back on and say, "Wow...we did this in 48 hours." Thats amazing! Everyone here who participated is very talented!

Saminat
Saminat
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 11:55 PM Reply

At 10/15/12 11:54 PM, EthanAlways wrote: Its just exciting to have a final product that you can look back on and say, "Wow...we did this in 48 hours." Thats amazing! Everyone here who participated is very talented!

I hear yah man! I'm still stunned about the movie jam a few weeks back!


A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Aigis
Aigis
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 11:59 PM Reply

At 10/15/12 11:48 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: That's why I really enjoyed when the teams were randomized, because you would work with people you would never have thought of in the first place and you can make new friends and grow much more than you would have if you were just with people you knew and were comfortable with.

And because voice actors actually got to be on teams ha. ha.


Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Saminat
Saminat
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 12:04 AM Reply

At 10/15/12 11:59 PM, Aigis wrote:
And because voice actors actually got to be on teams ha. ha.

Thank goodness for the 7th game jam's kickball team system!


A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Jazza
Jazza
  • Member since: Oct. 31, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 12:12 AM Reply

I think some good ideas to help people feel more fairly dealt with would be:

- Have 3 winners, with no #1 spot, $100 per team or something, they can divide in whatever way they chose. OR a winner and several honorable mention prizes, or even something as simple as all participants receive the "support NG" store purchase (equivalent of $25) and a first prize. Add more chance of fresher participants getting something, even if they don't come 1st.

- Review all entrants in an unbiased fashion. Austin breed did this for several of the game jams, and that way ALL participants can look forward to getting some professional level feedback for their hard work, because novice or expert alike, all participants have to work their little asses of to get a game out in that amount of time.

- Alternate random teams and pre-formed teams. I would be incredibly sad if all future game jams didn't allow me to work with the team I love working with, but on the other hand, I'd love to join with people I haven't met on occasion.

Just a few ideas, but there are better ways of talking about an issue than complaining, being constructive is what the cool kids do. Stay in school, don't do drugs.


follow me: TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 12:18 AM Reply

At 10/16/12 12:12 AM, Jazza wrote: I think some good ideas to help people feel more fairly dealt with would be:

Thanks man. Your game was great too. I'm sad I that I didn't get to see how my stuff stacked up with the other flashes. No beef with you or your flash.


BBS Signature
Saminat
Saminat
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 12:19 AM Reply

At 10/16/12 12:12 AM, Jazza wrote:
- Have 3 winners, with no #1 spot, $100 per team or something, they can divide in whatever way they chose. OR a winner and several honorable mention prizes, or even something as simple as all participants receive the "support NG" store purchase (equivalent of $25) and a first prize. Add more chance of fresher participants getting something, even if they don't come 1st.

- Review all entrants in an unbiased fashion. Austin breed did this for several of the game jams, and that way ALL participants can look forward to getting some professional level feedback for their hard work, because novice or expert alike, all participants have to work their little asses of to get a game out in that amount of time.

Just a few ideas, but there are better ways of talking about an issue than complaining, being constructive is what the cool kids do. Stay in school, don't do drugs.

And that's why I respect you Jazza. You aren't stuck up about winning, and you understand how intimidating you are to make worthwhile suggestions.

Don't worry, I'm still doing school :3


A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

KaDoYuu
KaDoYuu
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Animator
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 12:21 AM Reply

At 10/15/12 11:55 PM, Saminat wrote:
At 10/15/12 11:54 PM, EthanAlways wrote: Its just exciting to have a final product that you can look back on and say, "Wow...we did this in 48 hours." Thats amazing! Everyone here who participated is very talented!
I hear yah man! I'm still stunned about the movie jam a few weeks back!

Absolutely! I can understand people wanting a better shot at gaining prominence and store credit and being reasonably p-o'd when they lose to people that didn't want the prize to begin with, but doing it all for the EXP matters more. Met some amazing people and learned quite a bit about my own strengths/weaknesses during the whole Movie Jam (which I'm also still reeling from!) I'd be happy to try this all another time.


"Trolls are people who long ago gave up the will to live worthwhile lives, and now dedicate themselves to tormenting others, in attempts to drag victims down to their level."

Saminat
Saminat
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 12:27 AM Reply

At 10/16/12 12:21 AM, KaDoYuu wrote: Met some amazing people and learned quite a bit about my own strengths/weaknesses during the whole Movie Jam (which I'm also still reeling from!) I'd be happy to try this all another time.

Forsooth! That sounds like a plan. Mayhap we could collaborate on a video sometime!


A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

KaDoYuu
KaDoYuu
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Animator
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 12:39 AM Reply

At 10/16/12 12:27 AM, Saminat wrote:
At 10/16/12 12:21 AM, KaDoYuu wrote:
I'd be happy to try this all another time.

Forsooth! That sounds like a plan. Mayhap we could collaborate on a video sometime!

That'd be great, man. Just the thought gets me kind of hyped!


"Trolls are people who long ago gave up the will to live worthwhile lives, and now dedicate themselves to tormenting others, in attempts to drag victims down to their level."

Hyptosis
Hyptosis
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 12:40 AM Reply

Yeah, hell I wasn't trying to piss anyone off. Well, maybe Aegis, but no one else. I just thought everyone would randomly group is all, I've never done one of these before. So I was surprised to see such a classy production by a team that knew how each other worked. I might have tried to dig up some people I've worked with before had I know and tried to actually put up a fight. I guess I thought we were putting up a fight and then realized we didn't make it to the ring. :P

I certainly don't want to exclude anyone, that seems even worse. Then you'll ONLY have bad entries and it'll feel like a waste of time again. And I don't think offering more rewards is a good answer as that's just taking cash out of NG's pocket. The challenge and bragging rights really is good enough I think. :P

On CA they used to have these great art challenges, and the rewards on their were just trophies. Kinda like how NG does the daily rank trophies for game and movie rankings. Just my .02

This certainly isn't something worth getting mad about or letting one's self get upset, Jazza's Green Berets just knocked the wind out of everyone I think :P It turned into a Steven Seagal movie in here and we weren't ready.

Saminat
Saminat
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 12:47 AM Reply

At 10/16/12 12:40 AM, Hyptosis wrote: Yeah, hell I wasn't trying to piss anyone off. Well, maybe Aegis, but no one else. I just thought everyone would randomly group is all, I've never done one of these before. So I was surprised to see such a classy production by a team that knew how each other worked. I might have tried to dig up some people I've worked with before had I know and tried to actually put up a fight. I guess I thought we were putting up a fight and then realized we didn't make it to the ring. :P

Heheh, totally! During the 7th game jam, I think we spent a solid 5 hours just arguing over stupid things and generally not getting anything done X}


A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Saminat
Saminat
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 12:48 AM Reply

At 10/16/12 12:39 AM, KaDoYuu wrote:
At 10/16/12 12:27 AM, Saminat wrote:
At 10/16/12 12:21 AM, KaDoYuu wrote:
I'd be happy to try this all another time.

Forsooth! That sounds like a plan. Mayhap we could collaborate on a video sometime!
That'd be great, man. Just the thought gets me kind of hyped!

Shoot me up some time!


A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

NoLanLabs
NoLanLabs
  • Member since: May. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 01:09 AM Reply

Any word on why this jam was 48 hours instead of 72? I feel like this just gives an experienced team like Jazza's more of an advantage, because 48 hours to make a game with people I'd never worked with before felt really, really short.

I have no problem with them participating though. The more great games the better.

Doing random teams again sometime in the future would be good though. It seemed like this jam was more chaotic and disorganized, and a lot of people had trouble finding teammates at all.


Happy Robot Day 2014! Play our latest GAME! It's in 3-D!

ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 09
Artist
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 01:57 AM Reply

Some great entries. Congratulations to all of the winners. And in all honesty, hopefully everyone feels like a winner in some sense. Creating anything in such a short period of time is something to be proud of.


Word to your mother

BBS Signature
KaDoYuu
KaDoYuu
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Animator
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 02:26 AM Reply

At 10/16/12 01:09 AM, NoLanLabs wrote: I feel like this just gives an experienced team like Jazza's more of an advantage, because 48 hours to make a game with people I'd never worked with before felt really, really short.

This is where competing for EXP, if nothing else, becomes important. Sure, you'll get your arse handed to you on a beautifully-drawn and well-programmed silver platter, but all of that practice adds up!


"Trolls are people who long ago gave up the will to live worthwhile lives, and now dedicate themselves to tormenting others, in attempts to drag victims down to their level."