00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners!

21,867 Views | 81 Replies
Respond to this Topic

NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 16:53:23

The Newgrounds Annual Tournament of Animators winner is Emrox! Here was his final entry:

You can read more details about the rankings and take some time to check out all of the NATA entries from this year.

We had a Cabin in the Wooods Game Jam this weekend where your game had to revolve around a cabin in the woods.

The Game Jam winner ($25 store credit each) is:

Jazza and company really hustled together an impressive and creepy game. I'm waiting to front page it because there's an issue where a lot of people see a black screen and you have to try collapsing/expanding or refreshing a few times to get it working.

Also I gotta point out this atmospheric gem that made me imagine my own family freezing to death in the cold:

Check out the other game jam entries!

We also had Art Jam where artists were asked to illustrate the owner of the giant eyeball that washed ashore in Florida.

The Art Jam winner ($25 store credit) is:

Thank you ReNaeNae, TurkeyOnAStick and Luis for judging assistance!

Other Art Jam finalists included:

Thanks again for participating! It's always fun to see what people can accomplish in a weekend and it gives everyone else something to look forward to on a Monday.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 16:59:47

Congrats to everyone who participated in nata. it was fun watching it all narrow down. but mostly, first post.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 17:09:50

Congrats to the NATA, Game Jam, and Art Jam winners.
I quite enjoyed all of the games I was able to play, and all the art I got around to looking at.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 17:11:10

Gratz to Kuoke!

BBS Signature

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 17:13:35

No runner ups for the game jam?

:c

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 17:59:59

Is Newgrounds truly struggling so, that but one meagre prize can be given to the entrants of such competitions?

Perhaps these really are dark days that we live in.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 18:20:30

Damn, Kuoke, congratulations on that surprisingly creative art jam entry. I mean that's some damn fine saucy goodness right there.

The "Neptunes Eye" was also kind of funny. I'll get round to playing the game jam entries later. How could I not, with a theme related to one of the most pitch perfect motherfucking films ever.

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 18:31:56

At 10/15/12 05:55 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: And Jazza wins a third time...
And no one else even gets a mention...
Congrats I guess...

Makes us wonder why we even bother taking part in the Game Jam when we're only going to be forgotten.

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 18:35:43

congrats to the winners!

jam was a ton of fun (and stress ha) as usual

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 18:55:24

Congrats I guess...

It's starting to get kinda...

Ugh...

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 19:08:48

At 10/15/12 05:59 PM, Aigis wrote: Is Newgrounds truly struggling so, that but one meagre prize can be given to the entrants of such competitions?

I don't really think ti's about winning money though, it's about getting recognition and getting your hard work seen. At least for me it is. Of course that didn't happen for me, lol. But whatever, it was a good exercise regardless.

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 19:09:45

At 10/15/12 06:55 PM, squidly wrote:
Congrats I guess...

That's why we need to go back to the format of random team groupings, or the kickball format.
Otherwise you're just gonna end up with a few powerhouse teams that dominate all other competition.
It's really quite uninviting when you see how unevenly the teams are stacked.

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 19:13:48

Congrats to the winners

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 19:16:44

At 10/15/12 07:09 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
Congrats I guess...
That's why we need to go back to the format of random team groupings, or the kickball format.
Otherwise you're just gonna end up with a few powerhouse teams that dominate all other competition.

What bothers me is that the team which one was an established game dev group - they even have their own name!

Surely we can't do something about that, right?

Also, where are the reviews? The frontpages? Any recognition at all?

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 19:18:12

At 10/15/12 07:09 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
Congrats I guess...

Yeah, I mean, Jazza did a great job, but I really feel dickstomped considering they're an experienced team with experience working together and meeting deadlines. We clearly wouldn't have won any way, but everyone is overshadowed by them. Again, they did a greatjob, it was a cool and atmospheric game. We know they did a good job, they know they did a good job. My team spent 8 hours of our 36 just learning who could do what. Just sayin'

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 20:07:48

While I can understand the concerns, I don't think there's any need to make the issue bigger than it is. The Game Jam ended not even one day ago and Tom already announced a winner, when did this happen the last time? There were two competitions going on at the same time that had to be looked over. Above that, he posted a link to the collection where all the games are in twice. Maybe he just didn't think of posting more runner ups?

I must say, all the games I checked so far were very well done. Congrats to all the contributors for their great job!

The Art Jam was a nice surprise! I hope there is more of that to come. I couldn't take part this time, since I am still working on my entry for the NG Print Calendar 2013.

BBS Signature

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 20:08:49

I doubt Tom's forgotten about anyone; last Game Jam nearly every entry was frontpaged. But now that I think about it, the inherent disorganization of random pairings may be a worthy price to pay for more balanced teams.

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 20:12:01

At 10/15/12 07:31 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote:
At 10/15/12 07:18 PM, Hyptosis wrote: Yeah, I mean, Jazza did a great job, but I really feel dickstomped considering they're an experienced team with experience working together and meeting deadlines. We clearly wouldn't have won any way, but everyone is overshadowed by them. Again, they did a greatjob, it was a cool and atmospheric game. We know they did a good job, they know they did a good job. My team spent 8 hours of our 36 just learning who could do what. Just sayin'
Agreed.
And like I said, Jazza's been on the winning team of 2 other game jams.
I wouldn't have minded if he at least put places or mentioned any other smaller developer.
Ismel has a full for sale game out there...
I wanted to see how I stacked up against the competition without the heavy bias of the NG voting community.
Plus he posted like 10 art pieces...
It's almost as if Tom's forgotten about games, especially the little guys...
I hope Tom at least front pages other games...

Well it isn't important I guess. Everyone made something, and creating is what is important. I played every game, looked at every art piece. That's what it is all about, creating because we enjoy creating. Good work everyone. Keep on though! Conceive! Imagine! Fashion! Design! Forge!

Seriously, keep it up guys. ^_^

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 20:26:29

At 10/15/12 07:08 PM, Hyptosis wrote:
At 10/15/12 05:59 PM, Aigis wrote: Is Newgrounds truly struggling so, that but one meagre prize can be given to the entrants of such competitions?

I don't really think ti's about winning money though, it's about getting recognition and getting your hard work seen. At least for me it is. Of course that didn't happen for me, lol. But whatever, it was a good exercise regardless.

If it's not about winning money, then why not name a second and third place winner anyway?

It's not much exposure if there's no attempt to 'expose'.

At 10/15/12 07:18 PM, Hyptosis wrote: Yeah, I mean, Jazza did a great job, but I really feel dickstomped considering they're an experienced team with experience working together and meeting deadlines. We clearly wouldn't have won any way, but everyone is overshadowed by them.

To be fair, Hyptosis, you are, like, a professional artist and experienced flash game maker yourself.

Where does it end? Where does it end?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 20:27:16

At 10/15/12 08:12 PM, Hyptosis wrote: Well it isn't important I guess. Everyone made something, and creating is what is important. I played every game, looked at every art piece. That's what it is all about, creating because we enjoy creating. Good work everyone. Keep on though! Conceive! Imagine! Fashion! Design! Forge!

Seriously, keep it up guys. ^_^

This man speaks the truth!

It was a pleasure working with you, Hyptosis.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 20:41:58

At 10/15/12 06:31 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
Makes us wonder why we even bother taking part in the Game Jam when we're only going to be forgotten.

So what was the cut-off for runner-ups? What games should have been in the post vs which games should have depended on the link to the collection? I focused on linking to the collection for people to check it all out, instead of trying to narrow down the rest of the entries.

And I'll be front paging more of the games but I want to give teams some time to fix whatever bugs and issues they have left in their games.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 21:13:58

At 10/15/12 07:18 PM, Hyptosis wrote: Yeah, I mean, Jazza did a great job, but I really feel dickstomped considering they're an experienced team with experience working together and meeting deadlines. We clearly wouldn't have won any way, but everyone is overshadowed by them.
To be fair, Hyptosis, you are, like, a professional artist and experienced flash game maker yourself.

Where does it end? Where does it end?

Maybe, I mean I DID still work with 2 other people I've never met before. But that was why I chose to do this in the first place was to meet new people and work with strangers. So I got what I wanted out of the deal. Nowhere did it say we had to form random teams right? Like a fool I just assumed everyone would.

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 21:15:24

Tom is such a nice guy.

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 21:28:49

At 10/15/12 08:26 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 10/15/12 07:08 PM, Hyptosis wrote:

If it's not about winning money, then why not name a second and third place winner anyway?

It's not much exposure if there's no attempt to 'expose'.

Well, that is what I was saying... I was doing to 'do something fun' on newgrounds and mingle with my peers, maybe get some exposure. I don't feel like I got the latter at all, but I'm sure Tom will front page them if they deserve it. I'm sure Jazza keeps winning these for exposure too. I also like to think that submitting content for fun still helps NG out.I don't know that it does, but I do it with that in mind.

It's also not fair for all the current frontpaged content that people spent months building to get bulldozed over a compo that took most the contestants two days to complete.

I'm just happy to see so many games completed, and paintings too!

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 21:53:06

Thanks guys.

I hope people don't forget the community aspect of community events.

BBS Signature

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 21:57:02

Well, I'd be lying if I wasn't the tiniest bit dissapointed, but I'd also be lying if I said I didn't have fun! Sure, winning would have been swell, but I still got some attention, and I was able to make a few friends along the way! So congratulations Kuoke! I pray that I get to go up against you again!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 22:24:23

At 10/15/12 09:57 PM, Saminat wrote: I was able to make a few friends along the way!

Yeah, this part is the most important I feel; we couldn't finish, but now I have people for future projects (and my Skype contact list looks fuller :3). It's a tough call between random and premade teams, I'd want to work with these guys again, but I'd also want to mix it up after a few jams to make it interesting.

Don't even care about Elvidian. I HAVE AN ARTIST NOW, MY LIFE IS COMPLETE

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 22:34:06

Win or no win, the main reason my team and I enter the jams is between working on large releases that take years to complete, it's refreshing to work over a small amount of time and release something quality, it's a fresh challenge and break from our heavy workloads.

I enjoy the jams massively and promote them on my Youtube channel, everyone participates in them for different reasons and gets different things out of them. Some people love random teams and meeting new people, and while I think that's great, it's not my motivation, I love making and finishing a project I'm proud of in a short time, and that works best with a team I'm used to working with.

follow me: TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 22:48:19

At 10/15/12 10:34 PM, Jazza wrote:
I enjoy the jams massively and promote them on my Youtube channel, everyone participates in them for different reasons and gets different things out of them. Some people love random teams and meeting new people, and while I think that's great, it's not my motivation, I love making and finishing a project I'm proud of in a short time, and that works best with a team I'm used to working with.

Damn you Jazza and your Elvidian goons for committing and completing cool stuff in the allowed time! I hate u all.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 22:52:18

At 10/15/12 10:34 PM, Jazza wrote: Win or no win, the main reason my team and I enter the jams is between working on large releases that take years to complete, it's refreshing to work over a small amount of time and release something quality, it's a fresh challenge and break from our heavy workloads.

Jazza, while I myself have no qualms with you entering, I think people are upset about more than just you. People are a bit upset that they go through the hard work of making something, and finding that you overshadow them. Tom put several of the art jam pictures on the post, probably because there is no art jam collection page to begin with, but he didn't put anyone else's on there. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't take it personal, ok? Just keep up your stuff.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining