Be a Supporter!

NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners!

  • 15,605 Views
  • 106 Replies
Respond to this Topic
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 16:53:23 Reply

The Newgrounds Annual Tournament of Animators winner is Emrox! Here was his final entry:

  • Transit
    Transit by Emrox

    The loss of innocence

    Score
    4.16 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    7,114 Views
    Rated
    Ages 13+

You can read more details about the rankings and take some time to check out all of the NATA entries from this year.

We had a Cabin in the Wooods Game Jam this weekend where your game had to revolve around a cabin in the woods.

The Game Jam winner ($25 store credit each) is:

  • Shadow Tag
    Shadow Tag by Elvidian

    The children are out at night, and they want to play...

    Score
    3.85 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    4,552 Views
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Jazza and company really hustled together an impressive and creepy game. I'm waiting to front page it because there's an issue where a lot of people see a black screen and you have to try collapsing/expanding or refreshing a few times to get it working.

Also I gotta point out this atmospheric gem that made me imagine my own family freezing to death in the cold:

  • Out There Somewhere
    Out There Somewhere by I-smel

    I hope I win some o' that jam!!

    Score
    3.49 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    2,687 Views
    Rated
    Everyone

Check out the other game jam entries!

We also had Art Jam where artists were asked to illustrate the owner of the giant eyeball that washed ashore in Florida.

The Art Jam winner ($25 store credit) is:

  • Hell's Gate.
    Hell's Gate. by Kuoke

    NG ART JAM: The Missing Eye.

    Score
    4.690909091 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    2,045 Views
    Rated
    Everyone

Thank you ReNaeNae, TurkeyOnAStick and Luis for judging assistance!

Other Art Jam finalists included:

  • Save the Gogglebos
    Save the Gogglebos by bird-man

    SAVE THE GOGGLEBOS TODAY! The eye that washed up on a beach in Florida has been found to belong to the endangered Gogglebos,...

    Score
    4.555555556 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    428 Views
    Rated
    Everyone
  • Eyeball Jellyfish Jam Monster
    Eyeball Jellyfish Jam Monster by ZaneZansorrow

    For the Art Jam

    Score
    4.166666667 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    275 Views
    Rated
    Ages 13+
  • Neptune lost his eye
    Neptune lost his eye by Saminat

    Poor king Neptune lost his eye a few days ago. I keep telling him, he needs to look out for those boats! He's awfully depress...

    Score
    2.855072464 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    2,320 Views
    Rated
    Ages 13+
  • Lost an Eye
    Lost an Eye by Kostou

    Seems like someone lost something.

    Score
    4.666666667 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    274 Views
    Rated
    Everyone
  • Narwall after a fight
    Narwall after a fight by MrFap

    My entry for the NG 2012 ART JAM.

    Score
    3.538461538 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    290 Views
    Rated
    Everyone

Thanks again for participating! It's always fun to see what people can accomplish in a weekend and it gives everyone else something to look forward to on a Monday.


This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Member since: Feb. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Gamer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 16:56:12 Reply

now every following post must be open ended enough to guise the fact that you didn't even read the topic but saw tom fulp make a topic and you just wanted to be the first to post

oh, wait, did I say that out loud?

Congratulations to the winners! Yes! I do care! Really! I do!

Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 16:59:47 Reply

Congrats to everyone who participated in nata. it was fun watching it all narrow down. but mostly, first post.


None

Kostou
Kostou
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 17:01:40 Reply

Congrats to the winners!

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 17:09:50 Reply

Congrats to the NATA, Game Jam, and Art Jam winners.
I quite enjoyed all of the games I was able to play, and all the art I got around to looking at.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
bird-man
bird-man
  • Member since: May. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 17:11:10 Reply

Gratz to Kuoke!


BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 17:13:35 Reply

No runner ups for the game jam?

:c


Good.

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 17:55:38 Reply

And Jazza wins a third time...
And no one else even gets a mention...
Congrats I guess...


BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 17:58:14 Reply

Also congrats to my homie Emrox who helped me in the game jam!


BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 17:59:59 Reply

Is Newgrounds truly struggling so, that but one meagre prize can be given to the entrants of such competitions?

Perhaps these really are dark days that we live in.


Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 18:20:30 Reply

Damn, Kuoke, congratulations on that surprisingly creative art jam entry. I mean that's some damn fine saucy goodness right there.

The "Neptunes Eye" was also kind of funny. I'll get round to playing the game jam entries later. How could I not, with a theme related to one of the most pitch perfect motherfucking films ever.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 18:31:56 Reply

At 10/15/12 05:55 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: And Jazza wins a third time...
And no one else even gets a mention...
Congrats I guess...

Makes us wonder why we even bother taking part in the Game Jam when we're only going to be forgotten.


AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Tyler
Tyler
  • Member since: Sep. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 18:35:43 Reply

congrats to the winners!

jam was a ton of fun (and stress ha) as usual

squidly
squidly
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 18:55:24 Reply

At 10/15/12 05:55 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: And Jazza wins a third time...
And no one else even gets a mention...
Congrats I guess...

It's starting to get kinda...

Ugh...


Good.

Hyptosis
Hyptosis
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 19:08:48 Reply

At 10/15/12 05:59 PM, Aigis wrote: Is Newgrounds truly struggling so, that but one meagre prize can be given to the entrants of such competitions?

Perhaps these really are dark days that we live in.

I don't really think ti's about winning money though, it's about getting recognition and getting your hard work seen. At least for me it is. Of course that didn't happen for me, lol. But whatever, it was a good exercise regardless.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 19:09:45 Reply

At 10/15/12 06:55 PM, squidly wrote:
At 10/15/12 05:55 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: And Jazza wins a third time...
And no one else even gets a mention...
Congrats I guess...
It's starting to get kinda...

That's why we need to go back to the format of random team groupings, or the kickball format.
Otherwise you're just gonna end up with a few powerhouse teams that dominate all other competition.
It's really quite uninviting when you see how unevenly the teams are stacked.

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Member since: Aug. 31, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Reader
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 19:13:48 Reply

Congrats to the winners


It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG Trophy Leaderboard / NG User Icon Makers / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 19:16:44 Reply

At 10/15/12 07:09 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 10/15/12 06:55 PM, squidly wrote:
At 10/15/12 05:55 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: And Jazza wins a third time...
And no one else even gets a mention...
Congrats I guess...
It's starting to get kinda...
That's why we need to go back to the format of random team groupings, or the kickball format.
Otherwise you're just gonna end up with a few powerhouse teams that dominate all other competition.
It's really quite uninviting when you see how unevenly the teams are stacked.

What bothers me is that the team which one was an established game dev group - they even have their own name!

Surely we can't do something about that, right?

Also, where are the reviews? The frontpages? Any recognition at all?


Good.

Hyptosis
Hyptosis
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 19:18:12 Reply

At 10/15/12 07:09 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 10/15/12 06:55 PM, squidly wrote:
At 10/15/12 05:55 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: And Jazza wins a third time...
And no one else even gets a mention...
Congrats I guess...
It's starting to get kinda...
That's why we need to go back to the format of random team groupings, or the kickball format.
Otherwise you're just gonna end up with a few powerhouse teams that dominate all other competition.
It's really quite uninviting when you see how unevenly the teams are stacked.

Yeah, I mean, Jazza did a great job, but I really feel dickstomped considering they're an experienced team with experience working together and meeting deadlines. We clearly wouldn't have won any way, but everyone is overshadowed by them. Again, they did a greatjob, it was a cool and atmospheric game. We know they did a good job, they know they did a good job. My team spent 8 hours of our 36 just learning who could do what. Just sayin'

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 19:31:31 Reply

At 10/15/12 07:18 PM, Hyptosis wrote: Yeah, I mean, Jazza did a great job, but I really feel dickstomped considering they're an experienced team with experience working together and meeting deadlines. We clearly wouldn't have won any way, but everyone is overshadowed by them. Again, they did a greatjob, it was a cool and atmospheric game. We know they did a good job, they know they did a good job. My team spent 8 hours of our 36 just learning who could do what. Just sayin'

Agreed.
And like I said, Jazza's been on the winning team of 2 other game jams.
I wouldn't have minded if he at least put places or mentioned any other smaller developer.

Ismel has a full for sale game out there...

I wanted to see how I stacked up against the competition without the heavy bias of the NG voting community.
Plus he posted like 10 art pieces...
It's almost as if Tom's forgotten about games, especially the little guys...

I hope Tom at least front pages other games...

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 20:07:48 Reply

While I can understand the concerns, I don't think there's any need to make the issue bigger than it is. The Game Jam ended not even one day ago and Tom already announced a winner, when did this happen the last time? There were two competitions going on at the same time that had to be looked over. Above that, he posted a link to the collection where all the games are in twice. Maybe he just didn't think of posting more runner ups?

I must say, all the games I checked so far were very well done. Congrats to all the contributors for their great job!

The Art Jam was a nice surprise! I hope there is more of that to come. I couldn't take part this time, since I am still working on my entry for the NG Print Calendar 2013.


BBS Signature
mr-johnson22
mr-johnson22
  • Member since: Jul. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 20:08:49 Reply

I doubt Tom's forgotten about anyone; last Game Jam nearly every entry was frontpaged. But now that I think about it, the inherent disorganization of random pairings may be a worthy price to pay for more balanced teams.

Hyptosis
Hyptosis
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 20:12:01 Reply

At 10/15/12 07:31 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote:
At 10/15/12 07:18 PM, Hyptosis wrote: Yeah, I mean, Jazza did a great job, but I really feel dickstomped considering they're an experienced team with experience working together and meeting deadlines. We clearly wouldn't have won any way, but everyone is overshadowed by them. Again, they did a greatjob, it was a cool and atmospheric game. We know they did a good job, they know they did a good job. My team spent 8 hours of our 36 just learning who could do what. Just sayin'
Agreed.
And like I said, Jazza's been on the winning team of 2 other game jams.
I wouldn't have minded if he at least put places or mentioned any other smaller developer.
Ismel has a full for sale game out there...
I wanted to see how I stacked up against the competition without the heavy bias of the NG voting community.
Plus he posted like 10 art pieces...
It's almost as if Tom's forgotten about games, especially the little guys...
I hope Tom at least front pages other games...

Well it isn't important I guess. Everyone made something, and creating is what is important. I played every game, looked at every art piece. That's what it is all about, creating because we enjoy creating. Good work everyone. Keep on though! Conceive! Imagine! Fashion! Design! Forge!

Seriously, keep it up guys. ^_^

Aigis
Aigis
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 20:26:29 Reply

At 10/15/12 07:08 PM, Hyptosis wrote:
At 10/15/12 05:59 PM, Aigis wrote: Is Newgrounds truly struggling so, that but one meagre prize can be given to the entrants of such competitions?

Perhaps these really are dark days that we live in.
I don't really think ti's about winning money though, it's about getting recognition and getting your hard work seen. At least for me it is. Of course that didn't happen for me, lol. But whatever, it was a good exercise regardless.

If it's not about winning money, then why not name a second and third place winner anyway?

It's not much exposure if there's no attempt to 'expose'.

At 10/15/12 07:18 PM, Hyptosis wrote: Yeah, I mean, Jazza did a great job, but I really feel dickstomped considering they're an experienced team with experience working together and meeting deadlines. We clearly wouldn't have won any way, but everyone is overshadowed by them.

To be fair, Hyptosis, you are, like, a professional artist and experienced flash game maker yourself.

Where does it end? Where does it end?


Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 20:27:16 Reply

At 10/15/12 08:12 PM, Hyptosis wrote: Well it isn't important I guess. Everyone made something, and creating is what is important. I played every game, looked at every art piece. That's what it is all about, creating because we enjoy creating. Good work everyone. Keep on though! Conceive! Imagine! Fashion! Design! Forge!

Seriously, keep it up guys. ^_^

This man speaks the truth!

It was a pleasure working with you, Hyptosis.


Good.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 20:41:58 Reply

At 10/15/12 06:31 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 10/15/12 05:55 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: And Jazza wins a third time...
And no one else even gets a mention...
Makes us wonder why we even bother taking part in the Game Jam when we're only going to be forgotten.

So what was the cut-off for runner-ups? What games should have been in the post vs which games should have depended on the link to the collection? I focused on linking to the collection for people to check it all out, instead of trying to narrow down the rest of the entries.

And I'll be front paging more of the games but I want to give teams some time to fix whatever bugs and issues they have left in their games.


This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 20:58:02 Reply

At 10/15/12 08:41 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/15/12 06:31 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 10/15/12 05:55 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: And Jazza wins a third time...
And no one else even gets a mention...
Makes us wonder why we even bother taking part in the Game Jam when we're only going to be forgotten.
So what was the cut-off for runner-ups? What games should have been in the post vs which games should have depended on the link to the collection? I focused on linking to the collection for people to check it all out, instead of trying to narrow down the rest of the entries.

And I'll be front paging more of the games but I want to give teams some time to fix whatever bugs and issues they have left in their games.

Cool, Thanks!
I honestly just kinda wanted to see at least like a second and third or something.
And like I said, do feel kinda ripped off that Jazza won again.


BBS Signature
Hyptosis
Hyptosis
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 21:13:58 Reply

At 10/15/12 07:18 PM, Hyptosis wrote: Yeah, I mean, Jazza did a great job, but I really feel dickstomped considering they're an experienced team with experience working together and meeting deadlines. We clearly wouldn't have won any way, but everyone is overshadowed by them.
To be fair, Hyptosis, you are, like, a professional artist and experienced flash game maker yourself.

Where does it end? Where does it end?

Maybe, I mean I DID still work with 2 other people I've never met before. But that was why I chose to do this in the first place was to meet new people and work with strangers. So I got what I wanted out of the deal. Nowhere did it say we had to form random teams right? Like a fool I just assumed everyone would.

Emrox
Emrox
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 21:15:24 Reply

Tom is such a nice guy.


BBS Signature
Hyptosis
Hyptosis
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
Response to NATA, Game & Art Jam Winners! 2012-10-15 21:28:49 Reply

At 10/15/12 08:26 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 10/15/12 07:08 PM, Hyptosis wrote:
At 10/15/12 05:59 PM, Aigis wrote: Is Newgrounds truly struggling so, that but one meagre prize can be given to the entrants of such competitions?

Perhaps these really are dark days that we live in.
I don't really think ti's about winning money though, it's about getting recognition and getting your hard work seen. At least for me it is. Of course that didn't happen for me, lol. But whatever, it was a good exercise regardless.
If it's not about winning money, then why not name a second and third place winner anyway?

It's not much exposure if there's no attempt to 'expose'.

Well, that is what I was saying... I was doing to 'do something fun' on newgrounds and mingle with my peers, maybe get some exposure. I don't feel like I got the latter at all, but I'm sure Tom will front page them if they deserve it. I'm sure Jazza keeps winning these for exposure too. I also like to think that submitting content for fun still helps NG out.I don't know that it does, but I do it with that in mind.

It's also not fair for all the current frontpaged content that people spent months building to get bulldozed over a compo that took most the contestants two days to complete.

I'm just happy to see so many games completed, and paintings too!