New Topic Respond to this Topic
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Premium Tube Series 2012-10-14 21:44:24 Reply

A while back, Native Instruments and Softube released Premium Tube Series. This is a bundle including three effects, Enhanced EQ, Passive EQ and Vari Comp. When I received the newsletter, it did not catch my attention much because I just thought, "EQ and compression... whatever".

But recently, I decided to try out the demos.

Anybody who has not tried out the free demos, I strongly recommend doing so. Here's a link:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/eff ects/premium-tube-series/?page=5435

After trying out the demos, I was hooked and bought the bundle. I haven't fully tested out the compressor yet, but Enhanced EQ is fantastic for single instruments in your mix. I found it has the ability to give the energetic high-end that I'm looking far, as well as giving a warm touch to low and low-mid ranges unlike any EQ I've tried before.

I tested out Passive EQ on the master, and this EQ really surpasses all others I've tried for mastering. Like Enhanced EQ, the boosts give a much warmer sound than all other EQ's I've experienced. Passive EQ has many more knobs to tweak than Enhanced EQ.

So yeah, check out the free demos. I was very impressed and thought some other people may like to try it out. You may find that this is what your latest track is craving!

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-14 21:45:36 Reply

I refuse to believe that I should pay $230 for a compressor and EQ.

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-14 21:50:06 Reply

At 10/14/12 09:45 PM, SpaceWhale wrote: I refuse to believe that I should pay $230 for a compressor and EQ.

It depends how seriously you take the quality of your productions.

I can be guilty of spending way too much on software and gear. Even if something only increases the sonical quality by even 1%, I feel I need it.

Why don't you try out the free demo anyway?

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-14 22:11:46 Reply

At 10/14/12 09:50 PM, The-iMortal wrote: Why don't you try out the free demo anyway?

It's just... I don't want to seem really pretentious and elitist saying this, but I really don't feel like it'd be worth the time setting up a compressor, an 8-band EQ, and a 3-band EQ. If I was going to even consider dumping THAT much money on an equalizer (which, pro tip, I won't), I'd buy the Pro-Q from FabFilter, which can have up to 24 bands, has a gorgeous UI, and is 40 dollars cheaper. Plus, if I need a compressor, I can always use the handy-dandy free VST CamelCrush, which sounds awesome as well.

BBS Signature
jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-14 22:16:26 Reply

The price is justified by analog reproduction if you believe in that.

Personally idgaf

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-14 22:26:52 Reply

At 10/14/12 10:11 PM, SpaceWhale wrote: I'd buy the Pro-Q from FabFilter, which can have up to 24 bands, has a gorgeous UI, and is 40 dollars cheaper. Plus, if I need a compressor

What I love about Pro-Q is how you can boost the shit out of a frequency and isolate it. It is fantastic for eliminating the "shit spots" in instruments. A highly recommended plugin. FabFilter are sheer quality, there's no doubt about it.

The purpose of the Premium Tube series though is to give a nice warm sound with EQ boosts. These aren't run-of-the-mill standard EQ plugins.

I can always use the handy-dandy free VST CamelCrush, which sounds awesome as well.

If it's the same compressor which is in CamelPhat (which I honestly love to death), then go for it. Granted, I'm not a massive fan of the compressor in CamelPhat, but it is very useful in some circumstances.

At 10/14/12 10:16 PM, jpbear wrote: The price is justified by analog reproduction if you believe in that.

Personally idgaf

Bleh, I couldn't give a shit about analog reproduction for the sake of analog reproduction. If it sounds good, it sounds good! All I'm after is quality sound.

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-14 22:34:20 Reply

At 10/14/12 10:26 PM, The-iMortal wrote: What I love about Pro-Q is how you can boost the shit out of a frequency and isolate it. It is fantastic for eliminating the "shit spots" in instruments. A highly recommended plugin. FabFilter are sheer quality, there's no doubt about it.

Okay, I have a question, and I'm not trying to be snarky here, but: what defines a warm sound? I've heard it describe a lot of compression and distortion VSTs, but I never knew what that meant.

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-14 22:43:00 Reply

At 10/14/12 10:34 PM, SpaceWhale wrote: Okay, I have a question, and I'm not trying to be snarky here, but: what defines a warm sound? I've heard it describe a lot of compression and distortion VSTs, but I never knew what that meant.

Not harsh or trashy. Usually achieved by distortion/saturation. Some saturators produce an energetic high end, but it can sound very harsh and somewhat trashy. Others can give a good energetic high end, but without the trashy sound, but giving a more full sound.

Of course, other effects, such as reverb, can play a part into creating a warm sound as well.

Warmth can also be achieved by rolling off high end. Generally, a lot of that trashiness is up in the high end. But this, obviously, makes the sound more muffled. The thing I noticed about Enhanced EQ is that I could get a nice high end, without it being so harsh and trashy that I have to roll off the high end (could be different for different cases - every production is different).

Of course though, it's how you use the software. It would be easy to totally abuse these plugins, just like any other.

I guess that's the best I can explain it. You kinda need to hear it, I guess. Try flicking through presets in a saturator plugin, and you may be able to tell what a warm sound is.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-15 08:45:52 Reply

At 10/14/12 10:26 PM, The-iMortal wrote: What I love about Pro-Q is how you can boost the shit out of a frequency and isolate it. It is fantastic for eliminating the "shit spots" in instruments. A highly recommended plugin. FabFilter are sheer quality, there's no doubt about it.

That's what you adjust bands for. I use a parametric EQ which means I have a lot of control over what I do.

For mastering I suggest Ozone 5.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-17 16:12:05 Reply

Softube makes bangin stuff.

At 10/14/12 10:11 PM, SpaceWhale wrote:
At 10/14/12 09:50 PM, The-iMortal wrote: Why don't you try out the free demo anyway?
It's just... I don't want to seem really pretentious and elitist saying this, but I really don't feel like it'd be worth the time setting up a compressor, an 8-band EQ, and a 3-band EQ. If I was going to even consider dumping THAT much money on an equalizer (which, pro tip, I won't), I'd buy the Pro-Q from FabFilter, which can have up to 24 bands, has a gorgeous UI, and is 40 dollars cheaper. Plus, if I need a compressor, I can always use the handy-dandy free VST CamelCrush, which sounds awesome as well.

Well, if you really want to get "that sound" you'll typically have to use "those tools" that were used to achieve that sound. Just sayin'

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-17 19:30:22 Reply

At 10/17/12 04:12 PM, joshhunsaker wrote: Well, if you really want to get "that sound" you'll typically have to use "those tools" that were used to achieve that sound.

I think of it like a saw wave. There are so many plugins out there that can make a saw wave, do I really need to spend $200 on a plugin that can do it, just so it can have that "professional quality"?

Just sayin'

Hnnnnggggg

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-17 19:48:39 Reply

At 10/17/12 07:30 PM, SpaceWhale wrote: do I really need to spend $200 on a plugin that can do it, just so it can have that "professional quality"?

It depends on how seriously you take your music production (and what you can afford, of course).

Josh, what other Softube products do you use/recommend?

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-17 21:14:56 Reply

At 10/17/12 07:30 PM, SpaceWhale wrote:
At 10/17/12 04:12 PM, joshhunsaker wrote: Well, if you really want to get "that sound" you'll typically have to use "those tools" that were used to achieve that sound.
I think of it like a saw wave. There are so many plugins out there that can make a saw wave, do I really need to spend $200 on a plugin that can do it, just so it can have that "professional quality"?

Just sayin'
Hnnnnggggg

But it's really nothing like a saw-wave ... that's the whole point. It's extremely subtle ways that distortion, compression curves and phase non-linearities are handled that can have rather drastic effects on the overall character (timbre) of a signal. Show me a comp that sounds as good as what softube does for under $50 and I'll go buy it right now lol.

It's the same reason that something like sknote's Stripbus plugin can take a mix from "meh, that's good" to "holy-f**king sh*t how did that start to rock so hard". Good plugins often cost good money. You'll never get the sound of a Bricasti M7 from a cheap payware plugin. And there is a serious difference to be had. I bought Overloud's Breverb for example and the difference between that and so many other cheaper or free reverbs is ridiculous. It gets used on every track I do.

Will you ever get 3xosc to sound like Vember audio's surge? Hell no you won't. Doesn't mean you can't be creative but there is a very good reason for that level of sound. You don't see Hans Zimmer screwing around with say fl keys and slayer lol.

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-17 21:18:31 Reply

At 10/17/12 07:48 PM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 10/17/12 07:30 PM, SpaceWhale wrote: do I really need to spend $200 on a plugin that can do it, just so it can have that "professional quality"?
It depends on how seriously you take your music production (and what you can afford, of course).

Josh, what other Softube products do you use/recommend?

Tsar-1 is incredible:

http://www.softube.com/tsar1_reverb.php?p=tsar1_sounddemos

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-17 21:30:48 Reply

At 10/17/12 09:14 PM, joshhunsaker wrote: It's the same reason that something like sknote's Stripbus plugin can take a mix from "meh, that's good" to "holy-f**king sh*t how did that start to rock so hard".

You should check out The Glue as well. A fantastic bus compressor. I haven't tried out Stripbus, but I will now. Can't get enough compressors in my plugins folder.

At 10/17/12 09:18 PM, joshhunsaker wrote: Tsar-1 is incredible:

Quite pricy too. Something to put on the wish-list.

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Premium Tube Series 2012-10-17 21:33:18 Reply

At 10/17/12 09:30 PM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 10/17/12 09:14 PM, joshhunsaker wrote: It's the same reason that something like sknote's Stripbus plugin can take a mix from "meh, that's good" to "holy-f**king sh*t how did that start to rock so hard".
You should check out The Glue as well. A fantastic bus compressor. I haven't tried out Stripbus, but I will now. Can't get enough compressors in my plugins folder.

I tested out the Glue on quite a few tracks but really wasn't very taken with it. Honestly... I actually prefer the bus comp from Stripbus (helluva deal too for what you get... best $30 I've spent). I would even say that Thrillseeker LA with the transformer saturation mode on beats the glue in overall usability and sound.

At 10/17/12 09:18 PM, joshhunsaker wrote: Tsar-1 is incredible:
Quite pricy too. Something to put on the wish-list.

Yeah, it is definitely some coin.