• 21 Replies
Vashelite
Vashelite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-13 17:11:25

Well guys VashElite here, that guy you love to hate!

I wanted to let you all know that I am sick and tired of the newgrounds.com voting system, its flawed and to easily manipulated!

All it takes to artificially increase your Views, Votes and downloads is the Tor Browser Bundle and a little bit of persistence.

How could it not happen though! They don't even require you to be registered to vote! And they allow proxy traffic to be counted as legit......I am saddened by NG's lack of control over this issue.

So guys seriously all you have to do to take over your specific chart for audio is download the tor browser bundle, open your song, +5 it, change identities, refresh and repeat....

Or just use proxies hell even http based proxies work!

Its just an overall joke!

I have been watching people blatantly do it for a while now, so this issue has been known about for some time!

SO FIX YOUR ISSUE NEWGROUNDS!

I will probably get banned for this post, but I feel as though you guys deserve to know that NG has let you down :(

And if I actually do get banned its going to be hilarious :)

Since technically I didn't break any rules, I don't consider using proxies to be hacking in any way shape or form!

I might be wrong though, but I actually do understand the hacker mentality so it might get interesting following this post!

And On That Note,

Vashelite

V-A-S-H-E-L-I-T-E

Carefoot
Carefoot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Writer
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-13 18:30:46

It's all true. Does the same work with youtube though? Maybe its fixable and traceble to the despicable who do such etc. NG has been this way over the decade. Probably is time to evolve and kick out the fraudsters. Not that I hate crooks just I hate shitty music thats highly popular when it shouldn't be.

ecopper12
ecopper12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-13 18:41:57

It shouldn't matter, honestly.

Good submissions will get seen and be rewarded in kind.

Bad submissions will get voted down.

If someone did what you said, they would move up the ranks. And if they're work is bad, more people will see it and vote it back down. And I doubt there's someone who would keep doing it when the reviews are bad, and the ratings are high. Seems really fishy.

Good work is up there because it'd good.

Also, it's not that big a deal...At least to me. There's plenty of ways for your work to get seen, and ratings shouldn't be your motivation. Ratings should be your rewards and/or your lessons.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-13 18:58:56

At 10/13/12 05:11 PM, Vashelite wrote: whine

Tell me something new.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-13 19:00:02

Well guys VashElite here, that guy you love to hate!

you're being pretty hard on yourself, i don't even know you yet, i might like you :)

I wanted to let you all know that I am sick and tired of the newgrounds.com voting system

thanks for letting us into your life. you seem like a nice guy. i'm sorry that the voting system has made you sick and/or tired...how long has this been going on for?

its flawed and to easily manipulated!

i'm glad that someone finally had the balls to come out and say it.

All it takes to artificially increase your Views, Votes and downloads is the Tor Browser Bundle and a little bit of persistence.

cheers for the tip, you're alright! are there any tutorials on how to do this??

How could it not happen though! They don't even require you to be registered to vote! And they allow proxy traffic to be counted as legit......I am saddened by NG's lack of control over this issue.

i am sad that you are sad :(

So guys seriously all you have to do to take over your specific chart for audio is download the tor browser bundle, open your song, +5 it, change identities, refresh and repeat....

is there any way to automate it? sounds like a boring saturday night to me. maybe you would be less sad if you could put together a contraption to press all of the buttons for you? a few dippy birds might do the trick??

are they dippy bird compatible though?

Its just an overall joke!

i disagree. jokes are supposed to be funny. there's nothing funny about spending my last $50 on dippy birds.

I have been watching people blatantly do it for a while now, so this issue has been known about for some time!

why did you wait until now? it's your fault for keeping it a secret!

SO FIX YOUR ISSUE NEWGROUNDS!

wait. ahhhh i get the joke now. spending grocery money on dippy birds IS funny, as long as it's not YOUR money.

I will probably get banned for this post, but I feel as though you guys deserve to know that NG has let you down :(

i could not ban you for being so kind to us sir. NG has let me down. i might hit up Tom and get him to lash me some money out of the donation box before the other occupants of the house wake up to an empty fridge. i don't think they will understand how gross misuse of dippy birds benefits me/them - AT ALL.

is there another part to the joke? do you need to be banned before the punchline is delivered? i'm not sure if i'm comfortable with that, i actually really like you.

Since technically I didn't break any rules, I don't consider using proxies to be hacking in any way shape or form!

that makes 12 of us (at some point over the next 7 - 14 business days anyway)

I might be wrong though, but I actually do understand the hacker mentality so it might get interesting following this post!

please wait until i get nice and comfy (i am a fan of extended chin-stroking sessions)

And On That Note,
Vashelite

pleased to meet you. i'm jarrydn.

audio / bbs troubles? drop me a PM

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-13 19:15:15

At 10/13/12 05:11 PM, Vashelite wrote: All it takes to artificially increase your Views, Votes and downloads is the Tor Browser Bundle and a little bit of persistence.

NG audio system is actually not suited for Tor and the user who use it easily get discovered by staff. In fact Tor info that sends through traffic is easily distinguished.

Use proxy with auto voter is much more effective. Public or private proxies, both work, I suggest elite proxy. Do not anonymous proxy tho. (FYI, I only apply what I experienced in the past as a webadmin on sites that have similar system like NG. I'm not the perpetrator!)

I don't blame the staff. It is hard to detect and distinguish proxies from normal traffics, especially private such as VPN or SSL. SANS has a PDF on detection of different proxy.

It's super easy to set up your own proxy. I can right now set up a simple proxy that route from SSH twice through my old highscool and college computers, stop at my uncle's server and access to NG.

Sadly, this is a truth... :(

Omg, it works. Not Hide-My-Ass, tho. You can use Google or Bing translator to route too!

Then you have a friend :). I feel frustrated to find out these problem.

We'll see. I just got perma-ban on Soundsonline forum for telling them that their latest upgrade sux... :/

I am not complaining... Don't shoot me!

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
Vashelite
Vashelite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-13 19:25:17

I love you guys <3

V-A-S-H-E-L-I-T-E

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-13 19:29:46

At 10/13/12 07:25 PM, Vashelite wrote: I love you guys <3

omg I just go trolled...

whatever

BBS Signature
Vashelite
Vashelite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-13 19:43:46

At 10/13/12 07:29 PM, Computer112 wrote:
At 10/13/12 07:25 PM, Vashelite wrote: I love you guys <3
omg I just go trolled...

whatever

LMAO! Its a serious issue, but I find it humorous really!

V-A-S-H-E-L-I-T-E

AxTekk
AxTekk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-14 08:03:28

At 10/13/12 06:41 PM, ecopper12 wrote: It shouldn't matter, honestly.

Good submissions will get seen and be rewarded in kind.

Bad submissions will get voted down.

If someone did what you said, they would move up the ranks. And if they're work is bad, more people will see it and vote it back down. And I doubt there's someone who would keep doing it when the reviews are bad, and the ratings are high. Seems really fishy.

Erm... Maybe check the number of RMP submishes in the Hiphop- Modern charts. I'm guessing that's what Vash, newest addition to RMP since circa a week ago is referring to.

k3ph3r
k3ph3r
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-14 13:52:52

is there any way to automate it? sounds like a boring saturday night to me. maybe you would be less sad if you could put together a contraption to press all of the buttons for you? a few dippy birds might do the trick??

Best reply ever! Lol. Totally made my day.

If you don't evolve, you'll be devoured by those that do.
Feel free to leave feedback, I shall return the favor.
K3

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-14 15:02:19

At 10/14/12 01:52 PM, k3ph3r wrote:

Best reply ever! Lol. Totally made my day.

Eh? Anyone who is a month in with Python/Ruby can write scripts that do shits for you while you sip your beers and laugh out loud.

I was about raise a main point (hence why I posted all those sensitive techniques!) on my first post but hit the damn Post button and never had a chance to say it out (then I thought OP was trolling me):

No matter how perfect is your system, there is always somebody tries to exploit it. So people should have sympathies to the staff who created the system and fucking find your own solutions to promote your own music, or just sit there and let your shits be boring forever.

Solutions? Like many AP regulars on here said: involving with the community more. You review someone, someone else will give it back. You cheer (or troll) someone on here, you get it back equally.

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-14 17:48:05

At 10/13/12 07:43 PM, Vashelite wrote: Its a serious issue,

No it's not.

It's simple really.

IGNORE your song scores and pay attention to the REVIEWS people leave you. Those are much more important IMHO.

Fleshbag
Fleshbag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-15 11:10:49

Nothing really matters.

To me...
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-15 11:22:31

Troll mod is a troll mod.

Nav
Nav
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-15 12:01:43

At 10/13/12 05:11 PM, Vashelite wrote: SO FIX YOUR ISSUE NEWGROUNDS!

The current voting system you see is their attempt to fix the issue. You used to get 1 vote per song per account and that was it. Would you prefer that over what we currently have?

I agree that vote inflation is a problem (I remember average scores on the first page being ~4.4 pre-redesign #2, now they're ~4.7...), but yeah reviews are what count in the end. Score is essentially meaningless.

jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-15 18:19:32

My friend, I would just write music and share it. I am here to learn and grow as a producer, so my opinion might differ from yours, but I have people Zero bombing my work all the time. Because they either don't like my picture, or my profile, or simply want to be trolls. Either way, I doubt it has anything to do with my music, and if it does, then most of them are honest enough to leave a review, and tell me why. Others just want to be jack asses, and that is fine with me.

It will never stop me from uploading and writing music, and learning how to become a better musician, and a better producer.

When I see horrible songs on Newgrounds with high scores, I just give my honest vote (1 or 2, seldom ever 0), and move on. I hear GREAT songs on Newgrounds, and I favorite those artists, and sometimes even jam with them.

Let's face it, it is a site for musicians, probably made BY some musicians, and some musicians are just jerks just like everyone else. Some musicians don't want to work at the art of creating music, and simply work on the art of manipulation.(I think they should work in Artist management.) That manipulation to get their work seen or heard I am sure gives them some sense of accomplishment, not for their music, but for putting down those that CAN write better music down.

Low-Self-Esteem issues perhaps? Or maybe they just want to beat the system, cuz its fun. lol...

So, be above it man, and do your thing, and if you are good, and put effort into what you do, you will get noticed by those that really matter; real musicians, and people that appreciate real music.

I would also encourage you to vote on audio submissions, and give you honest opinion, and the musicians that you find that you like should be added, and even talked too. Work with them, learn with them, or simply be amazed by them.. *ahem*...MetalJonus, Kor-Rune *Ahem... Bleck... Had a frog in my throat there. lol.

Good luck buddy, and I am going to go to your page right now bruddah!!

~J

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-15 18:36:35

At 10/13/12 05:11 PM, Vashelite wrote: I will probably get banned for this post

God this quote always annoys the fuck out of me. As if stating it will stop it from happening, not that using freedom of speech or expressing legitimate concerns goes against any NG rules.

Not really

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Bafana
Bafana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-15 21:28:22

At 10/13/12 07:00 PM, jarrydn wrote:
pleased to meet you. i'm jarrydn.

This thread should've ended there.

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-15 22:04:35

At 10/15/12 06:19 PM, jaysummers759885 wrote:
Low-Self-Esteem issues perhaps? Or maybe they just want to beat the system, cuz its fun. lol...

So it was you...!

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-16 00:29:34

At 10/15/12 11:22 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Troll mod is a troll mod.

troll mod is a dippy bird

p.s. i am gay

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Newgrounds.com Audio Voting System 2012-10-16 03:34:51

mod bird is a dippy troll

audio / bbs troubles? drop me a PM

BBS Signature