00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MatthieuxDancingDead just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Suggestion: Split a music genre

1,431 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Suggestion: Split a music genre 2012-10-10 20:40:33

For the most part, I'm here for that sense of nostalgia that your "Video Game Music" genre brings. About two months ago, people who were free-forming music started thinking "Oh I think that putting my music in Video Game Music will land my music in a Flash game!" I don't see the same vision and I'm getting mad at the fact that I'm finding freelance music instead of music that I actually recognize. It's like "What's THIS crap?" Admittedly, I'm not in the greatest mood right now. I've had a rough day. But I digress.

I think that the "Video Game Music" genre should be solely remixes of known published video game music like music from Mario Kart and Final Fantasy, among other known video game franchises. As a result, there should be a "Flash Game Music" genre for those who are looking to pick up flash music cred. Any veteran and/or casual gamers here agree with me? Or am I being mispercieved?

Response to Suggestion: Split a music genre 2012-10-10 20:54:11

Frankly they left the genre 'Video Game' pretty open to interpretation. You may think it's just a place for people to throw remixes in... personally I think that's one of its purposes but I believe it should also be used to categorise music that was simply designed to be like video game music. It doesn't have to be music that was made to be in flash games. Just video-game-inspired music. I've done some tracks like that before and I know of people like Waterflame whose tracks sound precisely like something that would fit perfectly in the background of any game and are heavily VG-inspired, so he puts a lot of them in the Video Game genre.

Anyway, it doesn't make much sense to make a 'Flash Game Music' genre considering the whole Audio Portal was originally made to provide music for flash artists. That and I think the staff are too busy on other stuff to worry about more trivial or subjective matters like these.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestion: Split a music genre 2012-10-10 21:18:38

I agree with Step 100%. I write music for use in games. It's how I make my money.
That genre covers the things mentioned by the OP of course, i.e. remixes and 8bit music, but also music specifically designed to be played in games. :)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestion: Split a music genre 2012-10-10 21:27:22

In my opinion, VG music is anything emulating "simple" videogame music- MIDI, electronics, synths. In addition, it includes "VG" sounding tracks- all those "orchestral" pieces with silly marcato violins all over the page and lots of brass Tuttis and harp glisses that sound like all those old game themes. If your music is orchestral, but does NOT emulate the style of those games, it belongs in "Classical" (since there is no overarching "orchestral" category). I pretty much ignore the section and leave it those who have more pop, rock, jazz, or dubstep influences in their orchestral.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestion: Split a music genre 2012-10-10 21:50:11

An entry can't belong in multiple categories?

Response to Suggestion: Split a music genre 2012-10-11 11:57:10

At 10/10/12 08:40 PM, supernintendosp wrote: I think that the "Video Game Music" genre should be solely remixes of known published video game music

I disagree. And I also disagree that VGmusic should be chiptune or similar only. VG music has become very broad in the industry. It does consist of many genres, yes, but what actually makes it different from other genres that it is (or at least should be) made so that it compliments a game or a animation. Usually this means that it's structure is something simple and not so very listenable unless you can connect it to a certain game or a setting.

How about the other way around: genre for chiptune? It is it's own specific genre in a sense.

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

Response to Suggestion: Split a music genre 2012-10-11 12:16:36

At 10/10/12 08:40 PM, supernintendosp wrote: About two months ago, people who were free-forming music started

lol.

I think that the "Video Game Music" genre should be solely remixes of known published video game music like music from Mario Kart and Final Fantasy

just search for mario or kirby or fucking call of duty or whatever and you can listen to as many shitty midi rips and dubstep remixes made by 13 year olds that you want.

Response to Suggestion: Split a music genre 2012-10-11 12:47:41

At 10/10/12 08:54 PM, Step wrote: I believe it should also be used to categorise music that was simply designed to be like video game music. It doesn't have to be music that was made to be in flash games. Just video-game-inspired music.

I agree. I've done tracks that would specifically function as a looping game over theme, or as a town theme, or battle theme, etc. They may be orchestral, but the they don't really fit under "classical." They are pieces that feel very "video game" like and fit there better than anywhere else that I can think of. I'm generally fine with how the video game section is right now. If anything, the better solution to the OP's problem might be to create a "video game remixes" or plain "remixes" genre in the audio portal, but I don't think this is really necessary.

Response to Suggestion: Split a music genre 2012-10-11 23:41:24

At 10/11/12 12:16 PM, Buoy wrote: just search for mario or kirby or fucking call of duty or whatever and you can listen to as many shitty midi rips and dubstep remixes made by 13 year olds that you want.

Pretty much this. Or OCRemix if you wanna find better stuff. I feel like the entire VG section of this site should just be wiped from existence.

p.s. i am gay