00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Auto updating game

547 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Auto updating game 2012-10-10 17:54:34

How can I make my flash game update on a browser without having the person clearing the cache. I tried using the updater from the newground API but for whatever reason it doesn't want to work.

Can anyone give me a shove in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,
Dartos

I gave it a shot and for some magical reason all is well. Thank you good sir.

Response to Auto updating game 2012-10-11 09:21:14

At 10/10/12 05:54 PM, dartosgamer wrote: How can I make my flash game update on a browser without having the person clearing the cache. I tried using the updater from the newground API but for whatever reason it doesn't want to work.

That'd have to be in the browser's logic. Either code a page to detect the newest version and run it against the version they're using, or just give the newest version a different name every time.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to Auto updating game 2012-10-11 11:48:07

At 10/10/12 05:54 PM, dartosgamer wrote: How can I make my flash game update on a browser without having the person clearing the cache. I tried using the updater from the newground API but for whatever reason it doesn't want to work.

Can anyone give me a shove in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,
Dartos

Flash is a sandbox, it can't control your browser. That would be a pretty huge security risk if it could. You can just connect your flash app to somewhere (like your own server) and then do some stuff, but I have a feeling that's not what you are looking for here. I think you want a general flash side code that refreshes browser and that doesn't exist.

You can solve pretty much any problem you may have with AS3 by consulting the AS3 Language reference.

Response to Auto updating game 2012-10-12 20:04:42

Then what is the point of the version control in the API? Is there a way I can open a new page from my flash code that would do something? If not then how am I supposed to let players know that I made a new verison?

Response to Auto updating game 2012-10-12 20:08:24

and by "something" I mean open a page with the newest version.

Response to Auto updating game 2012-10-12 20:52:24

At 10/12/12 08:04 PM, dartosgamer wrote: Then what is the point of the version control in the API? Is there a way I can open a new page from my flash code that would do something? If not then how am I supposed to let players know that I made a new verison?

The API "New Version" will not get cached. If you have someone on "v1.0", and you update the version in the API tools to "v1.1", the newVersion flag will be set in the API Connect event. You could then suggest refreshing cache, or provide a link to where the official game is.

Response to Auto updating game 2012-10-14 12:51:56

How could I link to the updated version if the old version of the game is cached? I suppose I could just suggest to clear out the cache.