BBS Signature
Warforger
Warforger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to How Much Does "freedom" Cost. Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 06:55 PM Reply

The destruction of all forms of governance.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
JoS
JoS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to How Much Does "freedom" Cost. Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 07:04 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 06:55 PM, Warforger wrote: The destruction of all forms of governance.

Is absolute freedom really desirable?

Sure you are free from taxes, laws, regulations, but aren't those things that make life as we know it possible? Without laws, without courts, without the police, what is there stopping your bigger, stronger neighbour from taking your property, your wife or even your life? Without some form of government to create and enforce a social contract we resort to a state of nature, where life is nasty brutish and short.

Look at places like Somalia, no central government, no social contract. Should be a paradise.

My freedom should end when it encroaches on yours and vice verse. The trick is finding that balance.

Bellum omnium contra omnes

BBS Signature
leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to How Much Does "freedom" Cost. Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 07:13 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 07:04 PM, JoS wrote:
Sure you are free from taxes, laws, regulations, but aren't those things that make life as we know it possible? Without laws, without courts, without the police, what is there stopping your bigger, stronger neighbour from taking your property, your wife or even your life? Without some form of government to create and enforce a social contract we resort to a state of nature, where life is nasty brutish and short.

I don't think anyone will disagree that to be Civilized means organization which means some basic control mechanisms are necessary however I draw the line when balanced organization starts to cross over into Subjugation. I think if you are American you should probably be more worried about your own government taking away more of your rights and property rather than another country.

BBS Signature
JoS
JoS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to How Much Does "freedom" Cost. Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 07:17 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 07:13 PM, leanlifter1 wrote: I don't think anyone will disagree that to be Civilized means organization which means some basic control mechanisms are necessary however I draw the line when balanced organization starts to cross over into Subjugation. I think if you are American you should probably be more worried about your own government taking away more of your rights and property rather than another country.

I'm Canadian, just saying......

Don't like it, find somewhere else to live. Nothing is stopping you or anyone else who has a problem with the government of the country they live in from moving, with a few exceptions like North Korea.

Bellum omnium contra omnes

BBS Signature
leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to How Much Does "freedom" Cost. Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 07:22 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 07:17 PM, JoS wrote:
I'm Canadian, just saying......

Don't like it, find somewhere else to live. Nothing is stopping you or anyone else who has a problem with the government of the country they live in from moving, with a few exceptions like North Korea.

Even us Canadians are not unmolested by cronyism with our neighbors to the south.

BBS Signature
Mr-Shark
Mr-Shark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to How Much Does "freedom" Cost. Oct. 12th, 2012 @ 06:57 PM Reply

Apparently it costs the blood of 100 000s of Muslims and blacks, orphan tears , and puppy tails.

Dimitrilium
Dimitrilium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to How Much Does "freedom" Cost. Oct. 12th, 2012 @ 11:04 PM Reply

A gun and some bullets. Plus the will to do whatever you want.

leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to How Much Does "freedom" Cost. Oct. 12th, 2012 @ 11:12 PM Reply

At 10/12/12 11:04 PM, Dimitrilium wrote: A gun and some bullets. Plus the will to do whatever you want.

I would say that's an easy recipe for an 8x10 accommodation + 3 squares a day on the governments dollar for 25 to life.

BBS Signature
Dimitrilium
Dimitrilium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to How Much Does "freedom" Cost. Oct. 12th, 2012 @ 11:56 PM Reply

At 10/12/12 11:12 PM, leanlifter1 wrote:
At 10/12/12 11:04 PM, Dimitrilium wrote: A gun and some bullets. Plus the will to do whatever you want.
I would say that's an easy recipe for an 8x10 accommodation + 3 squares a day on the governments dollar for 25 to life.

Never said it would last forever.

Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to How Much Does "freedom" Cost. Oct. 13th, 2012 @ 03:05 PM Reply

the cost of living.

ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to How Much Does "freedom" Cost. Oct. 13th, 2012 @ 07:26 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 07:04 PM, JoS wrote:
At 10/9/12 06:55 PM, Warforger wrote: The destruction of all forms of governance.
Is absolute freedom really desirable?

it sure is !

;;;I've got no problem with laws that make some sense,
having tobacco legal
Alcohol legal & pot illeagal .... makes no sense.
It is proven every single week alcohol causes more problems than pot .
More marriages, assaults, are commited because of alcohol...so regualte it like alcohol & stop treating pot heads like crack & meth heads,,, there is NO DAMN comparison

If a crime isn't violent, I don't care if you steal bread on 10 different occassions, you don't deserve 3 strikes your out for petty crime, being a low risk person that is stupid & poor. is no reason for life in jail.

If my neighbor trys to come & take my wife (fiance actually) she's just as apt to shoot him as I am. Government needs to be responsible to the people not rule over the people. Elected officials should not have seporate laws & or no consequence for their actions. They, like police need to be held to a higher standard than the poor asshole that's swiped another loaf of bread !

While taxes are necessary for Government & a military, the Government should be forced to licve within the meas of the GDP to pay. No government should be allowed to go into debt. You can't balance the budget , you either take a complete pay cut & everyone in your administration lose their pay or get cut back until the budget balances .... INCENTIVE there is no incentive to stay within the budget .
Politicians should never be able to make a promise unless they can explain how they are going to pay for it.
IF elected on those promises they dshould be forced to follow their promises or lose office .
The system could be geared better.
Responsibility shouldn't just be a law abiding citizens responsibility, those whoare elected to do a job should have to do it or should be stripped of all responsibility & told they are done with any position in any level of Government ever.

Look at places like Somalia, no central government, no social contract. Should be a paradise.

If there wasn't such a thing as 'religion' it probably would be !

My freedom should end when it encroaches on yours and vice verse. The trick is finding that balance.

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to How Much Does "freedom" Cost. Oct. 14th, 2012 @ 02:22 AM Reply

MURRICA STRONG

WE GONNA FREEDOM THE FUCK OUT OF YOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

BUTANE
BUTANE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to How Much Does "freedom" Cost. Oct. 14th, 2012 @ 12:58 PM Reply

In 2010 the Cost of freedom was 683.7 billion dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_S tates

BBS Signature