Be a Supporter!
ZaraCroft
ZaraCroft
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Gcses? Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 02:20 AM Reply

hey, anyone from the UK want to share what lessons they took for GCSE? Im in year 9 atm and will have to choose my courses later this year, i was thinking of doing ICT art and cooking, mainly because i enjoy them not sure how useful they are though!

any advice will be much apreciated :)

UncleABCD
UncleABCD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Audiophile
Response to Gcses? Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 03:42 AM Reply

At 10/9/12 02:20 AM, ZaraCroft wrote: hey, anyone from the UK want to share what lessons they took for GCSE? Im in year 9 atm and will have to choose my courses later this year, i was thinking of doing ICT art and cooking, mainly because i enjoy them not sure how useful they are though!

I finished high school two years ago, but I'll share my experiences with the courses I picked back then.

I picked art, geography and history. Art was fun for the first month, then it became incredibly boring. We never did any of the aforementioned digital photography that was supposed to be in the course. A lot of the course was 'pick shit you like, draw about it, and tell us how it makes you feel', yawn. I picked geography because most of my friends picked it, mistake on my part. I had little interest in geography, but I did do well in the classes before GCSE so I figured it wouldn't be that boring or difficult. It wasn't difficult, just immensely boring. Then finally history, which I loved and was the only GCSE class that I enjoyed. A lot of the course was basically more in depth study on what we did in Year 9 (i.e WW1 - WW2, modern history) but it was still enjoyable. Plus the class was small, which is always a bonus I think.

If I could have gone back, I would've picked up French and media studies to replace both geography and art.

My only advice is just pick stuff that interests you and something that you really want to stick with. Don't pick what everyone else does just because it's popular. I really regretted two of my choices and they almost killed the chance I had of doing A levels in college. If you can't find something you like, then pick something that will get you above C+ marks, anything like art or drama is almost guaranteed, they're simple courses and it's really hard to fail them unless you don't attend the classes (that goes for anything though).

UNCLE///

BBS Signature
ZaraCroft
ZaraCroft
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Gcses? Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 03:44 AM Reply

Thanks for the advice! the subjects im planning on choosing interest me so i should be okay :D how long ago was your GCSEs if you dont mind me asking?

UncleABCD
UncleABCD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Audiophile
Response to Gcses? Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 03:50 AM Reply

At 10/9/12 03:44 AM, ZaraCroft wrote: Thanks for the advice! the subjects im planning on choosing interest me so i should be okay :D how long ago was your GCSEs if you dont mind me asking?

Two years ago. I think it started as soon mid-late Year 9 through the rest of Year 11, though my school went through a transitional period. We literally moved to an entirely different building as soon as I started them so my memory there is still a little hazy.

UNCLE///

BBS Signature
ZaraCroft
ZaraCroft
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Gcses? Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 03:54 AM Reply

Ah my schools just changed to one of these christian academys but it hasnt caused much fuss, uniform much stricter now though ive got to wear those crappy arse strangling pants instead of a skirt! and a blazer :(

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Gcses? Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 05:29 AM Reply

GCSE's are faceroll, don't worry to much about it. Make sure to go for double science, don't take single science as that is shit. Other than that go for ones you personally enjoy, I went for Drama, History, Geography and Technology as my 4 extra alongside double science. IT, RS, PE, English and Maths of course also as per usual.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
JaY11
JaY11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Gcses? Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 05:45 AM Reply

the choices really don't matter much at all, all the good subjects are mandatory anyway

Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Gcses? Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 12:53 PM Reply

I took (10 years ago now, finishing Summer 2002!):

Maths
Eng Lan
Eng Lit
French
Latin
Geography
History
Three separate sciences, Biology, Chem and Physics (and did all three at A Level as well)

A very academic group, but then that was where my talent lay. As others have said, go with what you enjoy, but more importantly what you are good at. Particularly artistic subjects, if you suck at them it will be a struggle. At least academic ones you can cram your way through, no amount of practice would ever have made me any good at art/design/music etc.

As for science, I would highly recommend separate sciences if available/you are capable in the subject. Many schools make the decision for you, but if you have any interest at all in persuing a science A Level then separate sciences are definitely looked on favourably. It is also 3 GCSEs instead of 2 for not a huge amount of extra work, always a bonus.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Gcses? Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 01:11 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 03:42 AM, UncleABCD wrote:
At 10/9/12 02:20 AM, ZaraCroft wrote: hey, anyone from the UK want to share what lessons they took for GCSE? Im in year 9 atm and will have to choose my courses later this year, i was thinking of doing ICT art and cooking, mainly because i enjoy them not sure how useful they are though!

I finished high school two years ago,

Don't confuse the guy, he's not at high-school. He's 13/14, so he's not choosing specific subjects like at college level which he'll reach at 16.

Basically kid, it doesn't matter unless you want to do art, drama, or music, which all require specific GCSEs. Science Maths and English you will do and make sure you do them well. Elsewhere, do whatever looks fun.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Gcses? Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 01:12 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 01:11 PM, Otto wrote:
At 10/9/12 03:42 AM, UncleABCD wrote: I finished high school two years ago,
Don't confuse the guy, he's not at high-school.

Scrap that, don't confuse me by calling secondary school high school.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Gcses? Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 02:46 PM Reply

I took German, history, sociology (don't know what the FUCK I was thinking) and computing. Wish I'd chosen drama instead of sociology.

DVD Collection and Game Collection
Steam: GallifreyanTimeDog
Really need to change this rubbish username.

BBS Signature
Lemonardo
Lemonardo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Gcses? Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 02:51 PM Reply

It's quite a long way back now, but I know I chose history, German, music and a triple science course.

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Gcses? Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 02:56 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 03:44 AM, ZaraCroft wrote: how long ago was your GCSEs if you dont mind me asking?

NINE
YEARS
AGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i-am-ghey
i-am-ghey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to Gcses? Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 03:05 PM Reply

i have never taken any of those exams before, but we had to sit public examinations simliar to the gcses before sixth form, (after that, matriculation exams follow). the education system here is basically the same as the one in the uk.

i took 9 subjects in total. that was about 4 years ago. students usually select subjects based on what streams they are in. for instance, almost everyone in the science stream took physics, chemistry and additional mathematics. (useful in future studies)

apart from that, i tried to select subjects from different categories to be more diversified. (mathematics (compulsory), additional mathematics, chinese language (compulsory), physics, chemistry, religious studies, principles of accounts, economics, english language (compulsory))

things might be different in other countries.

^Just another nonsensical forum post.^