New Topic Respond to this Topic
T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
"im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 13:05:05 Reply

Alright, somewhere on the Internet, we have all heard some idiot use a variation of this phrase expecting to scare people (and of course failing). Evidently, I've never had any angsty homicidal teenagers knock at my door lately, so it's not something I really worry about.

However, hear me out: Could someone, hypothetically, with enough time, patience, and skill, actually find out where you live via IP? I highly doubt anyone would trek across the world to come for me, but could they find out my address? I know some places use your IP to find your city, but that's a pretty broad search area.

If some hypothetic person actually had the willpower to find out as much as they can about where I live, how far could they realistically get?

T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to "im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 13:06:06 Reply

*gunna

Crap, I even spelled intentionally bad English wrong

PandaSausage
PandaSausage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to "im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 13:06:21 Reply

Very far.

BBS Signature
WirelessBrain
WirelessBrain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to "im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 13:07:15 Reply

<------------------>

This far.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to "im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 13:10:17 Reply

IP addresses that are dynamic (the default) change quite a lot, plus they would have to already know your address to find you in the area the IP address points to (because its usually a large area so unless you live in the middle of nowhere its not specific enough), and they cant just get your IP out of nowhere.

I think so anyway. Its usually used as a threat by people who dont know how IP addresses work.

thegarbear14
thegarbear14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to "im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 13:11:15 Reply

I don't believe you can get any farther than finding city.

BBS Signature
Ganon-Dorf
Ganon-Dorf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Melancholy
Response to "im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 13:55:52 Reply

Why worry about it?

BBS Signature
UncleABCD
UncleABCD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Audiophile
Response to "im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 14:23:56 Reply

At 10/8/12 01:05 PM, T3XT wrote: If some hypothetic person actually had the willpower to find out as much as they can about where I live, how far could they realistically get?

To my understanding, they only give away an approximate location of the user. Not a street address, just the general area of the signal. Though saying that, once you find a city, if you know their name, and other personal information (i.e searching through public records and such, getting info from their ISP, which the average joe wouldn't be able to anyway) then yeah, it's a possibility I guess. There are several different ways of finding a person and some may take days, weeks or even months to do. A normal, average person would not even waste their time doing this.

I've heard of exceptionally rare cases where people have gone to such lengths to track people down, though they lead up to cases of assault, stalking, etc.

UNCLE///

BBS Signature
Crazywill
Crazywill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to "im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 15:07:23 Reply

Well, nowadays I know a lot of people put a lot of info on Facebook and everything, but I don't know how far one could get with just your IP address. You might be able to find the general area and what the ISP is, but beyond that, I think you would have to hack into the ISP database to find the address and phone number of someone. If you have a reason for wanting the info, legal reasons being the best, then yeah they might have to provide details of the person.

That is my two cents, though I don't know if that is at all accurate.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to "im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 15:15:45 Reply

I've gotten as far as finding the city they live in, but beyond that, it gets difficult.

Managed to freak out a couple people by doing that, anyway.

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to "im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 15:52:19 Reply

I doubt it's possible to find anything but your city.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
asdeqw
asdeqw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to "im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 16:41:01 Reply

At 10/8/12 03:55 PM, 24901miles wrote: No, they would just find your local service switch.

Now if they said "I have a 15,000 megaton nuclear warhead and I'm tracing your IP to destroy the area you most likely live in", you might want to consider calling the proper authorities.

BWHAHAHaHaHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Note to self: do not go out this weekend on account of homicidal maniacs.

Fluttershy
Fluttershy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Movie Buff
Response to "im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 16:56:26 Reply

At 10/8/12 04:41 PM, asdeqw wrote:
At 10/8/12 03:55 PM, 24901miles wrote: No, they would just find your local service switch.

Now if they said "I have a 15,000 megaton nuclear warhead and I'm tracing your IP to destroy the area you most likely live in", you might want to consider calling the proper authorities.
BWHAHAHaHaHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh my god, my fucking sides.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to "im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 17:03:48 Reply

If anyone threatened to find me via using my IP I would simply reply with a laugh and tell them to use information I have already given on sites, many of which name my country and town, considering that information is very easy to acquire.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to "im Gunnar Trace Ur Ip" 2012-10-08 17:12:02 Reply

anyone who understands users of the internet are generally younger could probably piece together that it isn't as simple as downloading a program from the internet and clicking "track ip"

the circumstances would be much different if we were dealing with a professional hacker, but he probably has more to do with his time than irrationally track down the homes of people who don't agree with his opinion because that is a complete waste of time and effort.