Be a Supporter!

Time travel is possible

  • 2,095 Views
  • 71 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Raiespio
Raiespio
  • Member since: Nov. 24, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Gamer
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 05:20 PM Reply

At 10/8/12 12:02 AM, Gr3ySock wrote: Ok so if there are an infinite amount of different universes to the one we live in right now, then there are an infinite amount of possibilities.

If.

This is all based off of the assumption that multiple universes already exist. First off, you'd have hell trying to actually prove this, considering that it's not possible to do so at the moment.

But say there are. There are a (theoretically) infinite amount of parallel universes, one for each decisive choice that happens in a human life. We'll make this assumption for now so I can disprove it in a second. When you make a choice, that universe changes as so, however another universe is created for each of the possible variations in how that choice was made. Since the beginning of time, every choice that has ever been made has caused a branched timeline, and thus a new parallel universe, to form.

This violates conservation of energy, and conservation of mass. This is clearly a no-go. However:

Say that instead of creating a new universe after a choice, you're just simply sent to a different one. An infinite amount of parallel universes have existed since the beginning of time, and when a choice is made, you're simply sent to a convenient one. For whatever reason, we're not at all aware of this. This does not violate conservation of mass or energy, since all the matter and energy in the multiverse has and will always exist.

This would require a few things: First off, the universe would have to be of finite size, and every other universe would have to be as well. After all, it's not possible to travel an infinite distance, right? So all the universes are of finite size, and it's possible to instantaneously travel between them. But this would require information to travel faster than the speed of light (It takes light eight minutes to travel to Earth from the sun, and we don't even know how big the universe might be). So that's a no-go as well. So how can we get around the limit of information traveling faster than the speed of light?

Another dimension of space is the only semi-plausible solution I can think of. Maybe you could take this into string theory or something. I personally don't understand space with any more than 3+1 dimensions, so good luck with that.


Miracles happen.

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 05:23 PM Reply

At 10/8/12 03:17 PM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 10/8/12 03:10 AM, Xenomit wrote: If you don't understand, well, it's simple. You just aren't smart enough.
Funny, because you yourself have a terrible grasp on it.

Not really


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
RandomRoarness
RandomRoarness
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 05:36 PM Reply

At 10/8/12 12:33 AM, SFMF wrote: Maybe so, but can you pause time?

I guess if there's a space among dimensions there would be a pause in time.
I don't think time really has a clear standing.


happy, sad....!?

"if you're ever getting buttfucked go with scarlet velvet " - Bantam

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 05:42 PM Reply

At 10/8/12 12:02 AM, Gr3ySock wrote: All you would need to do is speed up or slow down time

Time travel is possible

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 05:44 PM Reply

At 10/8/12 05:42 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 10/8/12 12:02 AM, Gr3ySock wrote: All you would need to do is speed up or slow down time

Is it really that hard to understand?

Intense gravity = Slower speed of time

Absence of gravity = Higher speed of time


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 06:01 PM Reply

At 10/8/12 12:42 AM, Gagsy wrote:
At 10/8/12 12:33 AM, SFMF wrote: Maybe so, but can you pause time?
Only if you're Zack Morris.

God damn it Kelly, stop telling people about my sexual history with Slater

Time travel is possible


Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.
For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature
Silverdust
Silverdust
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 06:05 PM Reply

This is much more complicated than developing a means of traveling faster than light. If we are able to do so, it would not require the highly, highly theoretical task of jumping from universe to universe. That being said, there are probably even simpler ways of traveling through time - the most obvious being the discovery of time as an entity which can be manipulated (perhaps such as beyond the event horizon of a black hole).

So, time travel is possible within our laws by entering a black hole (?); possible outside of our laws by moving faster than light; and possible in pure imagination by crossing the multiverse boundary.


RussiaToday : Aljazeera : TEDTalks : io9
"We have the Bill of Rights; what we need is a Bill of Responsibilities." ~ Bill Maher

BBS Signature
Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Member since: May. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Animator
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 06:06 PM Reply

At 10/8/12 05:44 PM, Xenomit wrote: Intense gravity = Slower speed of time

Absence of gravity = Higher speed of time

This is not how relativity works.


@
http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Fanon_Wiki
If you do acid, wait an hour before swimming

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 06:13 PM Reply

At 10/8/12 06:06 PM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 10/8/12 05:44 PM, Xenomit wrote: Intense gravity = Slower speed of time

Absence of gravity = Higher speed of time
This is not how relativity works.

I'm not talking about relativity though

Gravity has a much greater impact on the universe than just pulling things together


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Member since: May. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Animator
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 06:38 PM Reply

At 10/8/12 06:13 PM, Xenomit wrote: I'm not talking about relativity though

Gravity has a much greater impact on the universe than just pulling things together

Well, that's the final hint that you're just talking out of your ass.


@
http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Fanon_Wiki
If you do acid, wait an hour before swimming

BBS Signature
RandomRoarness
RandomRoarness
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 06:44 PM Reply

I'm sure one's perception play a part in speed of time.


happy, sad....!?

"if you're ever getting buttfucked go with scarlet velvet " - Bantam

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 07:39 PM Reply

That's all a bunch of theory bullshit.

Time doesn't exist. Everything after that is impossible.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
BigSweatySchilling
BigSweatySchilling
  • Member since: Jun. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 10:09 PM Reply

If time travel becomes possible, then there will be no such thing as a universe, and nobody will actually be alive, it would just be you alone in a fake universe.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 10:10 PM Reply

At 10/8/12 06:38 PM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 10/8/12 06:13 PM, Xenomit wrote: I'm not talking about relativity though

Gravity has a much greater impact on the universe than just pulling things together
Well, that's the final hint that you're just talking out of your ass.

How? It seems like you're the one that doesn't know what he's talking about, it's very very basic physics


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 26
Artist
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 10:13 PM Reply

Travelling through time is too complicated an issue to put any bets on.

Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Member since: May. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Animator
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 10:19 PM Reply

At 10/8/12 10:10 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 10/8/12 06:38 PM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 10/8/12 06:13 PM, Xenomit wrote: I'm not talking about relativity though

Gravity has a much greater impact on the universe than just pulling things together
Well, that's the final hint that you're just talking out of your ass.
How? It seems like you're the one that doesn't know what he's talking about, it's very very basic physics

No, very very basic physics would be things like Newton's laws of motion (F=ma, etc). Your knowledge of physics, I can tell, is very limited and covers only a general idea of what the theories mean.

General and special relativity are far from "very basic basic" physics, which is the kind of time dilation/compression you're talking about.


@
http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Fanon_Wiki
If you do acid, wait an hour before swimming

BBS Signature
Gr3ySock
Gr3ySock
  • Member since: Aug. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 02:02 AM Reply

At 10/8/12 05:20 PM, Raiespio wrote:
This is all based off of the assumption that multiple universes already exist. First off, you'd have hell trying to actually prove this, considering that it's not possible to do so at the moment.

But say there are. There are a (theoretically) infinite amount of parallel universes, one for each decisive choice that happens in a human life. We'll make this assumption for now so I can disprove it in a second. When you make a choice, that universe changes as so, however another universe is created for each of the possible variations in how that choice was made. Since the beginning of time, every choice that has ever been made has caused a branched timeline, and thus a new parallel universe, to form.

This violates conservation of energy, and conservation of mass. This is clearly a no-go. However:

Say that instead of creating a new universe after a choice, you're just simply sent to a different one. An infinite amount of parallel universes have existed since the beginning of time, and when a choice is made, you're simply sent to a convenient one. For whatever reason, we're not at all aware of this. This does not violate conservation of mass or energy, since all the matter and energy in the multiverse has and will always exist.

This would require a few things: First off, the universe would have to be of finite size, and every other universe would have to be as well. After all, it's not possible to travel an infinite distance, right? So all the universes are of finite size, and it's possible to instantaneously travel between them. But this would require information to travel faster than the speed of light (It takes light eight minutes to travel to Earth from the sun, and we don't even know how big the universe might be). So that's a no-go as well. So how can we get around the limit of information traveling faster than the speed of light?

Another dimension of space is the only semi-plausible solution I can think of. Maybe you could take this into string theory or something. I personally don't understand space with any more than 3+1 dimensions, so good luck with that.

There is quite a lot of supporting theories for parallel universes to exist but yes they are just theories i guess, although so is gravity.

Also i don't see how conservation of energy and mass has anything to do with the other universes seeing as it has nothing to do with ours apart from being parallel and a universe.

Why would a new universe just form when a different decision is made. I'm saying what if they already exist just with different possibilities...I'm not saying they cant form but what if they already do exist and every other possible situation that could possibly happen has happened and we are left with our reality.

Not saying your wrong or anything i just find it pretty interesting to think about.


Eat some cake...

BBS Signature
Eddmario
Eddmario
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 02:54 AM Reply

It actually is possible, but we need a DeLorean, 1950s police box, and a watch.

Cookie if you get all 3 references at once

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7832-9212 | Gamertag: Eddmario
Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 02:59 AM Reply

At 10/8/12 10:19 PM, Cordyceps wrote: No, very very basic physics would be things like Newton's laws of motion (F=ma, etc). Your knowledge of physics, I can tell, is very limited and covers only a general idea of what the theories mean.

General and special relativity are far from "very basic basic" physics, which is the kind of time dilation/compression you're talking about.

Yeah, but here's the thing, I never mentioned anything at all about relativity, general or special

Also, you just said that I was talking about more advanced physics, however earlier you said I don't seem to have a grasp on physics

Please be clear on what makes you think I don't understand physics, because I have spent over a decade studying physics in general, and it's really insulting to have some random wad on the internet tell me that I don't have a grasp on said physics


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Member since: May. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Animator
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 04:18 AM Reply

At 10/9/12 02:59 AM, Xenomit wrote: Yeah, but here's the thing, I never mentioned anything at all about relativity, general or special

You're talking about time dilation by gravitation. That is relativity.

Also, you just said that I was talking about more advanced physics, however earlier you said I don't seem to have a grasp on physics

Yes, ergo, you're in no place to talk about such physics.

Please be clear on what makes you think I don't understand physics, because I have spent over a decade studying physics in general

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had your PhD.


@
http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Fanon_Wiki
If you do acid, wait an hour before swimming

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Member since: Aug. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 08:00 AM Reply

I have a car that travels through time, just like everything else I own. Even now I am time travelling, one planck second into the future at a time. When you say, "time travel," will you at least mention it to be backwards in time or far forwards?


BBS Signature
Ahnimal
Ahnimal
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 02:27 PM Reply

About the parallel universe thing, I personally don't think the world is like that at all, or at least not as simple as people put it.
First, if a universe is based on our choices, wouldn't that hint at the universe being aware of us, or there being some undiscovered force linked directly to our minds? It would be ironic if the truth were as such, because science normally disproves such ideas.
Second, I don't believe that people actually have genuine choices where all possibilities is a possibility. There will always be something making you choose one thing over another, whether it's your personality or some outside influence.

Just my thoughts on the topic


It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Crazywill
Crazywill
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 02:51 PM Reply

Yup, as demonstrated by some guy at 4chan.

Time travel is possible


The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Member since: Jan. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 03:19 PM Reply

I don't often drive past 87 miles per hour so I don't I'll ever discover it.


BBS Signature
DM692
DM692
  • Member since: May. 5, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 03:52 PM Reply

if there's infinite alternate universes it means there's one where time travel is possible because there's infinite fucking universes

according to this theory

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 04:41 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 04:18 AM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 10/9/12 02:59 AM, Xenomit wrote: Yeah, but here's the thing, I never mentioned anything at all about relativity, general or special
You're talking about time dilation by gravitation. That is relativity.

But I never mentioned that, you were implying things that I never said

Also, you just said that I was talking about more advanced physics, however earlier you said I don't seem to have a grasp on physics
Yes, ergo, you're in no place to talk about such physics.

I'm in no place to talk about physics....

Because I'm talking about advanced physics?

Please be clear on what makes you think I don't understand physics, because I have spent over a decade studying physics in general
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had your PhD.

No, but I know a damn lot about physics, and I'd be willing to bet I know quite a lot more than you, specifically when it comes to quantum mechanics

Why are you acting like a douche right now?


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Member since: May. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Animator
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 08:30 PM Reply

Protip:

If a gay furry tries to tell you that he knows about quantum mechanics, he is probably mumbling it through dog dick.

I was once considering physics as a career choice - That is because I have knowledge beyond what you would know by reading a synopsis of theories on the internet. I guarantee you are not as deeply knowledgeable as you claim to be.


@
http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Fanon_Wiki
If you do acid, wait an hour before swimming

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 08:43 PM Reply

Another protip:

Attempting to use sexual preference as a guide-point to how much any given person knows is pretty ridiculous

Anyone could look up shit in a split second, and I can promise you, I don't care what you considered as a career choice, I know more about quantum mechanics than you do. There is no way to prove it, but I've been into this stuff for over a decade, and you learn some shit after 10+ years of doing anything


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Member since: May. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Animator
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 08:46 PM Reply

Okay, I'll tell you what - Answer this for me, and I'll admit I was underestimating you.

What was the purpose of the Schroedinger's cat thought experiment?


@
http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Fanon_Wiki
If you do acid, wait an hour before swimming

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Time travel is possible Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 08:48 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 08:46 PM, Cordyceps wrote: Okay, I'll tell you what - Answer this for me, and I'll admit I was underestimating you.

What was the purpose of the Schroedinger's cat thought experiment?

To give The Big Bang Theory a running gag joke, obviously.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature