00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Miles Davis

715 Views | 19 Replies

Miles Davis 2012-10-07 18:52:05

This is a thread dedicated to one of the coolest musicians of all time, Miles Davis. I'm sure some of you have heard of him, but to those of you don't, check him out. He's considered to be an innovator, and has created/spearheaded multiple genres of jazz, and has been a great influence on many non-jazz genres as well. His composing and band leading skills are phenomenal, and lead to him having one of the most successful careers of any jazz musician. From playing bebop in the 40's and early 50's, to helping to create cool jazz and modal jazz in the 50's, to innovating fusion in the 60's, he's covered a whole variety of genres. And that's just touching the surface. Just fucking touching it.

So to newcomers, what do you think? To existing fans, what's your favorite song/era/album/ enrolled musician?

BBS Signature

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 18:59:39

Back when I was 15 or 16 on a school trip to Ireland, me and the guys I stayed in a room with were eating hash cakes and playing cards really late in the evening. We had our music pretty loud 'cause we were really locked into our game and were pretty stoned by this point, so we were all really surprised when our deputy head teacher stormed in at about half 11 saying 'IT'S LIGHT'S OUT I SAI-

then he paused suddenly and followed up with

...wait, is this Miles Davis?' to which he snapped his fingers jauntily and nod his head. He just turned around and walked out the room after that, but not before giving us the nod of approval.

True story; it was one of the greatest things I ever saw.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 19:08:43

Miles Davis is amazing.

I'm really into his Cool Jazz stuff, but Circle is one of my favorite tunes he did.

And you can't go wrong with Doo-Bop

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 19:17:05

At 10/7/12 06:56 PM, ScaryPicnic wrote: i've only listened to kind of blue

i'd like to pretend i'm sophisticated and know shit about jazz but i really don't

listen to more miles davis, and possibly some wayne shorter

you can become an intellectual scary

just like me and sine

BBS Signature

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 19:20:38

At 10/7/12 07:08 PM, SineRider wrote: I'm really into his Cool Jazz stuff, but Circle is one of my favorite tunes he did.

Hell yeah, Miles Smiles is one of my favorite albums by him.

BBS Signature

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 19:26:22

At 10/7/12 07:20 PM, Tobi wrote:
At 10/7/12 07:08 PM, SineRider wrote: I'm really into his Cool Jazz stuff, but Circle is one of my favorite tunes he did.
Hell yeah, Miles Smiles is one of my favorite albums by him.

For sure, it's really solid, I think.

Miles Ahead is wonderful too. Probably my other favorite album.

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 19:34:12

At 10/7/12 07:26 PM, SineRider wrote: Miles Ahead is wonderful too. Probably my other favorite album.

Yeah, anything he did with Gil Evans is excellent. His solo stuff is pretty cool too.

BBS Signature

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 19:42:22

I did an assignment about Miles Davis and got to pretend to be him for that assignment.

I then downloaded music from him.

I've officially filled my quota for jazz.

BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

MINDCHAMBER DREW THE CAST FOR MY GAME WOW

BBS Signature

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 19:42:31

At 10/7/12 07:34 PM, Tobi wrote:
At 10/7/12 07:26 PM, SineRider wrote: Miles Ahead is wonderful too. Probably my other favorite album.
Yeah, anything he did with Gil Evans is excellent. His solo stuff is pretty cool too.

Oh shit, cool tunes. I haven't listened to a ton of Gil Evans besides his stuff with Miles.

This is a bit different, but there is an awesome chiptune tribute to Kind of Blue called Kind of Bloop. I highly recommend, check out All Blues, it's phenomenal!

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 19:47:18

Please update your damn signature. I'm tired of looking at that old NG color.

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 20:17:58

I should make a pandora station dedicated to Jazz, but right now I am listening to Mother by Danzig so I can't.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 21:06:14

on the corner is my favorite album. i've only heard that, bitches brew, and kind of blue.

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 21:22:08

At 10/7/12 07:47 PM, Fluttershy wrote: Please update your damn signature. I'm tired of looking at that old NG color.

no fuck you

gonna listen to that tomorrow when I'm a bit less tired. thanks sine, can't wait.

BBS Signature

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 22:20:56

Trombone Shorty is amazing as well.

Jazz: the real reason folk music is shit. And yes, all jazz is acoustic. They just use horns, because guitars and banjos and too fucking quiet for real musicians.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 22:27:27

At 10/7/12 10:20 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: Jazz: the real reason folk music is shit. And yes, all jazz is acoustic. They just use horns, because guitars and banjos and too fucking quiet for real musicians.

synths are pretty quite too, but those seem to do just fine in jazz.

BBS Signature

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 22:36:31

If peeing your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis.

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-07 22:48:44

At 10/7/12 10:27 PM, Tobi wrote:

synths are pretty quite too, but those seem to do just fine in jazz.

That's why they put amps on them bitches.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-08 04:08:20

Kilometers Davis.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Miles Davis 2012-10-08 04:28:29

funfact is davis used to be a heroin addict but then he went to his moms outhouse and detoxed for 5 days and is now sober
funfact is davis also paints , he speciaizes in paintings of women with no arms in a abstract fashion
fundact is davis is a pimp and has a thing for young white girlzes
funfact is he is a musical geniues

" Women are dumb sheep who would rather fuck a Silverback than Einstein." - EisUndStahl

BBS Signature