New Topic Respond to this Topic
Steiner-Magnus
Steiner-Magnus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Any real-life art teachers among us 2012-10-07 10:07:09 Reply

I would like to take this opportunity to ask, if there are any real art teachers in this community.
The reason why I am asking this is simple: I want to become an art teacher (elementary school) and I have to give in an application portfolio with some of my works. And there are some questions I'd like to ask you, if you do not mind.

For example: Are comic artworks allowed at all? I know about the works of Roy Lichtenstein, but I do not dig this style at all.

It would be great if you would help me out in this one. Or if you would tell me, for certain, that there are no teachers at all on NG and that I have wasted my time. lol

Have a good one.

(I am German, but I am trying my best in English regardless. So if you see any mistakes, then feel free to correct me.)

simon
simon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Any real-life art teachers among us 2012-10-07 10:10:57 Reply

At 10/7/12 10:07 AM, Steiner-Magnus wrote: It would be great if you would help me out in this one. Or if you would tell me, for certain, that there are no teachers at all on NG and that I have wasted my time. lol

There are definitely teachers here, but whether they will see this is another question because they'll hardly have time to browse here.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Playstation ID: SCParry || Steam ID: GNS_SimpLe
3DS Friend Code: 2878-9581-7218 || Nintendo ID: SCParry

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Any real-life art teachers among us 2012-10-07 10:12:48 Reply

You're going to die dude.

original I am.

BBS Signature
Steiner-Magnus
Steiner-Magnus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Any real-life art teachers among us 2012-10-07 10:15:38 Reply

At 10/7/12 10:10 AM, simon wrote: There are definitely teachers here, but whether they will see this is another question because they'll hardly have time to browse here.

It would be fantastic if even one competent teacher would see this. I am in dire need, because my appointment is in about two weeks. And, of course, I do not want to blow this up!

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Any real-life art teachers among us 2012-10-07 14:31:41 Reply

Why don't you ask the person you are interviewing with or a school counselor what kinds of things they are looking for and if there is anything they don't want to see? That would make the most sense. It's not so bad and it's really helpful.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Any real-life art teachers among us 2012-10-07 14:55:32 Reply

whoops didn't mean to leave this here

Any real-life art teachers among us

Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Any real-life art teachers among us 2012-10-07 15:05:56 Reply

You just need to be very enthused and likeable, with obvious artistic ability and historical knowlege. Whatever you show them, as long as it's good, will be fine, be it comics or whatever.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
Skaren
Skaren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Any real-life art teachers among us 2012-10-07 15:12:52 Reply

Art teachers are the ones that teach failures how to do nothing with their lives.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Any real-life art teachers among us 2012-10-07 15:15:11 Reply

Shit just be able to teach kids to make a clay bowl and you're good to go.

Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Any real-life art teachers among us 2012-10-07 15:26:32 Reply

At 10/7/12 03:14 PM, AnonymousOfCali wrote:
At 10/7/12 02:55 PM, Urban-Champion wrote: whoops didn't mean to leave this here
Why do people think being an art student is so bad? Some people's ultimate goal in life isn't as shallow as "I want to make more money than you" Some people genuinely enjoy art and sacrifice worldly things like money to study and improve in it. All the while douchebags try to bolster their ego by shouting "ENJOY YOUR USELESS DEGREE FAGGOT" when nobody asked for or even cares about their opinion on the matter. Its sad really.

i personally just find it funny that people point and ridicule arts students

and it's not like they don't have any reason to either. Do you see the type of people who take university level arts classes? I personally know a handful of people and they're all idiots who have no interest in art but rather they just don't qualify for anything else because they dropped out of school

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Any real-life art teachers among us 2012-10-08 02:18:30 Reply

give them some clay art work and a portrait of yourself nd your good bro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

xxxcreep
xxxcreep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Any real-life art teachers among us 2012-10-08 02:44:38 Reply

I'm getting my AA in art right now.
I plan to become an art teacher.
The ones in my city really suck, and they never give anyone fun assignments.
Music is going to be a big influence in the assignments I give my future students

"Man, I nearly snapped my twig. Then again I nearly snapped A few of you"- Alice in Chains

BBS Signature
Steiner-Magnus
Steiner-Magnus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Any real-life art teachers among us 2012-10-09 09:42:24 Reply

At 10/7/12 03:05 PM, Otto wrote: You just need to be very enthused and likeable, with obvious artistic ability and historical knowlege. Whatever you show them, as long as it's good, will be fine, be it comics or whatever.
At 10/7/12 03:14 PM, AnonymousOfCali wrote: Why do people think being an art student is so bad? Some people's ultimate goal in life isn't as shallow as "I want to make more money than you" Some people genuinely enjoy art and sacrifice worldly things like money to study and improve in it. All the while douchebags try to bolster their ego by shouting "ENJOY YOUR USELESS DEGREE FAGGOT" when nobody asked for or even cares about their opinion on the matter. Its sad really.

Despite the other obvious troll responses you usually see on /ic/, it seems that you guys understand what I want.

So, I will show the committee some comic artworks of me. In the past, I met teachers whose ignorance towards the medium comic was insanely high-toned. But I also met teachers, who still love comics and dig the same artists as I do, e.g. Jean Giraud. And I still do not believe that there are no university teachers, who do not like comics at all. I mean, as some have pointed out already: As long as it is well-done, it is good art. Hopefully, I will meet such people! lol

In the end, I'd like to thank all of you!