Be a Supporter!
FIE
FIE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Moozik Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 03:55 AM Reply

I make music and make music and make music and make music. Pretty much everybody on the Audio Portal is better at music than myself. I can click on random songs all day long and they are all better than me.

I'm planning on investing in a couple of studio monitors and I can't help but feel that I will be wasting my money. Good sounding turds are still turds.

Some people say that you are born with your talents. I honestly don't know if there is any musical talent in me.

I could probably program a PHP script to make better music than I can.

How do I stop sucking so hard? What do I do?

Genuinely.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Moozik Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 03:56 AM Reply

At 10/7/12 03:55 AM, FIE wrote: How do I stop sucking so hard? What do I do?

Pick up an instrument and learn your scales.

johnfn
johnfn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Moozik Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 04:59 AM Reply

Save the money on the monitors and buy a midi keyboard instead. Learn to play basic piano. Pick up basic scales and chords. This will go a long way towards helping you write music.

[6,11,4,10,2,10,-68,5,15,-68,16,4 ,1,-68,-2,1,15,16,-67].map(function(v){ return String.fromCharCode(v + 100) }).join(""); // updated for web 2.0!

BBS Signature
FIE
FIE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Moozik Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 05:03 AM Reply

Thanks guys, I will look into it.

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Moozik Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 01:24 PM Reply

At 10/7/12 05:03 AM, FIE wrote: Thanks guys, I will look into it.

http://www.musictheory.net/lessons

check out that place. Even I still use it from time to time.

Consider taking piano lessons or something, or even just getting a piano lesson book and teaching yourself. I may not know how to legitimately play, but knowing the notes and the chords and the theory and what it looks like on the keyboard and the notation paper helps me with composing.

My Music - Game Dev./Music Tutorials - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
k3ph3r
k3ph3r
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Moozik Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 05:41 AM Reply

At 10/7/12 01:24 PM, samulis wrote:
At 10/7/12 05:03 AM, FIE wrote: Thanks guys, I will look into it.
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons

check out that place. Even I still use it from time to time.

Consider taking piano lessons or something, or even just getting a piano lesson book and teaching yourself. I may not know how to legitimately play, but knowing the notes and the chords and the theory and what it looks like on the keyboard and the notation paper helps me with composing.

There are classes dedicated to music theory, and trust me, music theory is extremely indepth. so many scales, how they play what they are played in, etc. The list goes on. However, if you plan on looking into a bit of music theory, check up on the circle of fifths. Good little reference sheet.
Also when I started with my basic music theory, I looked up a bunch of scales, then made minor note patterns sticking in those scales. Then the music always stays in key.
AND... I agree, get a midi controller. A keyboard will definitely help you compose, because you can practice playing, and recording small runs you create.
Just keep at it and you'll make your way up.

Ja Ne
K3

If you don't evolve, you'll be devoured by those that do.
Feel free to leave feedback, I shall return the favor.
K3

Knoxius
Knoxius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Moozik Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 07:25 PM Reply

pick up bass
practice rhythmic patterns
play notes that go good together... or not

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Moozik Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 08:22 PM Reply

At 10/8/12 07:25 PM, Knoxius wrote: pick up bass
practice rhythmic patterns
play notes that go good together... or not

Nice informative vid, but if you want to learn how to write music, bass guitar is NOT the way to go unless you are playing other instruments as well. Why? Bass guitar is predominantly for bass, the lower pitches of music. As a rule, lower pitches, when chorded, sound very claggy. So playing bass guitar is mainly playing one note at a time.

It is impossible to improve as a music writer if you cannot gain proper knowledge of chords.

I strongly recommend getting a keyboard or a piano if you want to improve your music writing skills. You can control the bass with the left hand, as well as the treble (higher pitches) with the right hand. If you are a guitarist, you will need somebody to control the bass with a bass guitar, and somebody else to control the treble with a guitar.

Piano/keyboard = One person needed to fully discover music notation.
Guitarist/Bass guitarst = two people needed to fully discover music notation.

jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Moozik Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 09:01 PM Reply

Honestly, practice makes perfect. You shouldn't get so discouraged so easily my man, if you have a will, there is a way. It takes a lot of time to hone your skills as a producer. I myself have been playing music since I was 7 years old, and can play a live show that you WOULDN'T believe, but when you put me in front of a computer, I am mediocre at best when it comes to production..

There are a lot of musicians on here that are really cool, and will help you with any questions you have about the recording process. MetalJonus is one of them, RobSoundtrack is also really nice. Heck, I could answer any questions you might have about your DAW, or your mix.

But your instrument, that it just going to take time. Trust me, that fact that you are on here, and making an effort says a lot about your character. I don't think you give up easily, and I believe you can do it. Besides, there TONS of videos on youtube about technique with most instruments.

I remember recording for like 6 months until I learned something new, because I was just messing around, but then I listened to other peoples recordings, and sought out the same techniques... I was like... "DAANNnnnggg... dude is doubling his Rhythm guitar track on left and right channels to give a more dynamic sound.. I should try that!!!

Bruddah, there ain't nothing you can't accomplish if you put you mind to it. Good luck, and let me know if I can help you in anyway.

~J

At 10/7/12 03:55 AM, FIE wrote: I make music and make music and make music and make music. Pretty much everybody on the Audio Portal is better at music than myself. I can click on random songs all day long and they are all better than me.

I'm planning on investing in a couple of studio monitors and I can't help but feel that I will be wasting my money. Good sounding turds are still turds.

Some people say that you are born with your talents. I honestly don't know if there is any musical talent in me.

I could probably program a PHP script to make better music than I can.

How do I stop sucking so hard? What do I do?

Genuinely.
Knoxius
Knoxius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Moozik Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 03:07 AM Reply

At 10/8/12 08:22 PM, The-iMortal wrote: Nice informative vid, but if you want to learn how to write music, bass guitar is NOT the way to go unless you are playing other instruments as well.

not true. i mean cmon, you can play melody, rhythm, and even percussion with a bass by itself. you can play diads and triads on a bass using the higher strings (even more possibilities with a 6-string). it's a much more versatile instrument than you would think :P

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Moozik Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 03:31 AM Reply

At 10/9/12 03:07 AM, Knoxius wrote: not true. i mean cmon, you can play melody, rhythm, and even percussion with a bass by itself. you can play diads and triads on a bass using the higher strings (even more possibilities with a 6-string). it's a much more versatile instrument than you would think :P

I play bass more than I play guitar. It is a very fun and useful instrument. However, try learning various harmonies with it...

GalacticDeath
GalacticDeath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Moozik Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 01:46 PM Reply

At 10/7/12 03:56 AM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 10/7/12 03:55 AM, FIE wrote: How do I stop sucking so hard? What do I do?
Pick up an instrument and learn your scales.

Picking up and instrument is probably the best advice. I don't think I know of any composers/songwriters that can't play at least one instrument. You don't have to be a virtuoso but you should be proficient enough at that instrument that you can play various songs. That will give you an idea on how to write them. Learning some music theory will help too, but isn't necessary. Most of the songs I compose by ear, I hardly ever think too much about theory.

DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Moozik Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 01:50 PM Reply

If you dont know any instrument a Midi Keyboard is the way to go and then learn the basic scales and chords.
this website is on that helps tremendously in scales and chords, i use it every time i want to experiment a new scale im not used to.

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
GamerMan7
GamerMan7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
GamerMan7
GamerMan7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Moozik Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 07:47 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 07:43 PM, GamerMan7 wrote: See which one works best for you, it's the only way.

FL Studio demo: http://www.image-line.com/downloads/flstudiodownload.html

Ableton Demo: http://www.ableton.com/downloads

Sorry mods, replied in the wrong topic. If you could delete this post and the one quoted in this thread, I would appreciate it! Thanks.

soulblud
soulblud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Moozik Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 02:05 AM Reply

I have never had to spend a lot of time on my successful projects (that is not to say they are all amazing, mind you).

I know exactly how you feel, though. I still feel like my stuff is nothing compared to many artists. I try too hard sometimes.

My best advice is this:
Keep practicing your sound. ALWAYS keep practicing your sound. Refine it. Learn from your mistakes.

Try taking a break from all music; that's what I do to clear my mind to start fresh. The more you keep at it, the better it will sound. I have come a long way in 5 years.

Click below for my youtube channel. I has music.

BBS Signature