New Topic Respond to this Topic
GoodFang
GoodFang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Having trouble drawing poses Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:49 AM Reply

I know learning to draw poses takes a lot of life drawing,or observation,and practice.I don't like the stick figure idea,I've tried it and got no results for a long time. I like the gesture drawing technique of drawing simplified shapes of the limbs and creating lines of action.I am fine when I draw something from posemaniacs,but when I try to draw something from my head It's a mess.If I start drawing with the head,I end up with a very static and not even ok pose,If I start with the torso,I get stuck quickly.

Drawing simplified torsos are a big challenge for me,I tried using a block and a circle but no luck it ends up looking stupid. I need a shape I can use in poses in different angles.
What part of the body do you guys start drawing a figure with? and what shapes do you use?

This is my badly made signature.

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Having trouble drawing poses Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 03:43 AM Reply

It would help if you post examples of your life drawing and your attempts at drawing from imagination so we know where you're at.
Personally I used the vilpu boxes for the longest time untill I felt comfortable with them, now I go with any shape that would define the specific character the best. But again it depends on what type of characters you want to make and where your at. Examples please!

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Having trouble drawing poses Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 03:49 AM Reply

Stick Figure > Shapes > Details > Refined
Heres one I prepared earlier.

Lucky is right, though - its best that you walk us through your average process (maybe something akin to what I posted?) so we can critique that instead of just your vague description of the process.

GoodFang
GoodFang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Having trouble drawing poses Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 10:09 PM Reply

I don't know if it's an art block I'm going through,because I've done some decent action poses before.
I always think 3 dimensional when I draw,lately that mindset has gotten weak. I do such mistakes as making the leg too skinny,making the space between the ribcage and pelvis too far or too close,etc..

I just need various examples of action poses in shapes,but It's kind of hard to find some.
If someone could make these poses(or similar) It could help me get back to that state of mind.

Having trouble drawing poses

This is my badly made signature.

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Having trouble drawing poses Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 11:30 PM Reply

At 10/7/12 10:09 PM, GoodFang wrote: I don't know if it's an art block I'm going through,because I've done some decent action poses before.
I always think 3 dimensional when I draw,lately that mindset has gotten weak. I do such mistakes as making the leg too skinny,making the space between the ribcage and pelvis too far or too close,etc..

Again examples of your work please

I just need various examples of action poses in shapes,but It's kind of hard to find some.
If someone could make these poses(or similar) It could help me get back to that state of mind.

if that's the style you're going for, go pick up a marvel book