dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Questionnaire Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 05:17 PM Reply

At 10/6/12 07:21 PM, Step wrote:

I hope you forgive my previous trollings on you...

1.) What genre do you usually make and why do you make this genre so often?

- Contemporary Classical, Folk, Electronic-Orchestra and occasionally Experimental. Even though I grew up with Contemp and Folk music, I develop my skills on Electronic-related genres to reach out to more audiences, since modern music fall between Contemp and Electronic.

Do you like spreading out to different genres?

- Recently I am experiencing on Breakbeat and D&B-related. I try out new genres often, it's just a best way to explore the music world.

2.) What is your favourite genre to listen to?

- Contemporary, Cinematic, D&B (and related) and progressive rock.

Or will you just listen to anything?

- I don't have a real-time context for the good music. I shall listen to whatever I decide to. Sum it up. I embrace music those are enjoyable and listenable; not the mainstream definitions and not matter based on specific genres.

3.) Are you taking music as a career or is it just a hobby?

- I choose music as a hobby.

4.) Do you play any instruments? If so, what do you play?

- I play keyboard, piano and recently guitar.

5.) What does the music-making process entail for you?

- I usually do not follow specific path(s) for my coposition. By developing special skill set and thinking to compose music on-the-fly (thanked to the often pasts of joining music composition contests), I have the flexibility and ability to embrace unfamiliar music in quick time.

How do you get your inspiration?

- Due to the real-time composition style, I learn how to put the inspirations by strange ideas through trial-and-error. My first draft always comes from random ideas. Although normally I gain inspirations based on what I feel currently. Inspirations also come from musical memories and experiences. I like to take them out, analyze then borrow ideas that fit my current draft.

What steps do you usually take to make a full song?

- 3 steps: Draft, basically the trial-n-error step on song's base melodies. Core, build up contents based on selected Draft results. Finalizing, this is basically the mastering and EQing. I have the 4th step sometime if the song must be pre-planned, basically to warp up straggling bugs and such.

6.) What's more important to you?

- I think the emotions that my song delivers to the audiences is extremely important. It's not just about my own emotions, I can write a song based on my sister's failed date and that's totally not my original emotion. It's about how I delivar the emotions and why did I deliver it in such way(s).

Putting your own thoughts and emotions in your track, telling a story, or making something that sounds good?

- telling a story. By telling a story, the song itself already wraps up both sounding good and putting my emotion/thought in it.

7.) Which is the hardest part of making music for you?

- Laziness. Procrastinating. No spare time...

Why?

- Life is always rushing around me and involves in very little music or art. Because of these, I don't have the needed time to just fully enjoy any artistic activity.

8.) What do you enjoy about making music?

- Creativity, fun and knowledge I gain from music.

9.) What is the most important thing to look out for when producing a track?

- Overusing the instruments. I usually run into situations where I always use the main instruments too muc, which resulting unbalanced arrangements.

10.) How much importance do you give to mixing, mastering and overall technical production of your music, as opposed to its composition?

- Very important, I don't mind about the samples or tools I use because I can master and arrange them to the enjoyable quality.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Questionnaire Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 11:59 PM Reply

At 10/6/12 07:21 PM, Step wrote: 1.) What genre do you usually make and why do you make this genre so often? Do you like spreading out to different genres?

I'm not so sure I make just 1 genre over any others any more, a few years ago, I would have said metal... but lately, I pretty much split my time more or less evenly between metal, orchestral and electronic. So... yes, I like spreading out to different genres.

2.) What is your favourite genre to listen to? Or will you just listen to anything?

Favorite genre to listen to is metal (Usually melodic or orchestral metal), but I'm open to pretty much every kind of music except country... My personal playlist is extremely diverse, from Beethoven, to dubstep, to metal, to trance... and more.

I'd love to have music as a career... unfortunately, musical talent is practically useless in society's eyes, so that's kind of hard to achieve when you're flat broke all the time.

Yes. Guitar, bass, piano, clarinet, tenor saxophone, drums... practically any instrument I can get my hands on, I will try learn how to play.

5.) What does the music-making process entail for you? How do you get your inspiration? What steps do you usually take to make a full song?

Step one: Motivation, inspiration (Usually from an event in my life or just pulled directly from my own emotions).
Step two: Screw around on instrument of choice (Depending on what my motivation/inspiration is, or where it came from) until I find a melody I like.
Step three: Expand on melody until a full song pops out.

6.) What's more important to you? Putting your own thoughts and emotions in your track, telling a story, or making something that sounds good?

All of the above, my songs almost always tell a story of my emotions while I was writing the song... save maybe my trance tracks, I'll admit those are kind of empty when it comes to emotional input. But everything else is pulled straight from my emotions, and more often than note, they play out like a story, and I don't bother releasing it unless it gets the point across and sounds good doing so.

7.) Which is the hardest part of making music for you? Why?

Finding just the right melody or musical theme to get my inspiration across... sometimes it just... happens. Other times, I really have to sit there and muck around until I just stumble across something that gets across what I want to convey. Unfortunately, the latter method is the more common one, and is a large part of why, 1: My album still isn't out, and 2: My releases are usually pretty far apart.

Mostly how great of a medium music is at getting feelings out to the public without saying a word. I don't see music as theory or just pleasant noise... I see it as a way to say things without saying anything at all.

Getting your thoughts across correctly while still making it sound good. You can make a track sound amazing production wise, but it may sound completely empty as far as emotional content. On the flip side, you can put your heart and soul into a song, but if it sounds awful, no one will want to listen to it. I think the most important thing in producing music is finding a balance between the two, where you can convey yourself while still making something that isn't like nails on a chalkboard.

10.) How much importance do you give to mixing, mastering and overall technical production of your music, as opposed to its composition?

For the first few years, I didn't give a damn about mixing, mastering, compression, limiters, boosters... generally anything that made the track fit together nicer... It's only fairly recently that I started giving a damn about how my songs come out mixing wise.
Now, I try my damn hardest to make sure everything meshes nicely and sounds nice in terms of composition to boot. In the larger scheme of things, I think it's extremely important to find a good balance, the most amazing composition in the world can still sound terrible if it's mixed badly. And of course vise versa.

Happy now, usagi-chan?

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Blipbloop
Blipbloop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Audio Questionnaire Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 08:24 AM Reply

At 10/6/12 07:21 PM, Step wrote: I'm working on a school project whose primary purpose is to discover the ties between science and music. To do this I'm going to be interviewing various people and I'm also going to do some questionnaires. This questionnaire is about music creation and the psychological effects of music.

I know 98% of the people reading this are musicians, so can any of you fill it in? The answers don't have to be massively detailed, although some detail would be appreciated of course.

--

1.) What genre do you usually make and why do you make this genre so often? Do you like spreading out to different genres?

Metal. I just enjoy playing & recording it, although I do enjoy branching out to a variety of genres.

2.) What is your favourite genre to listen to? Or will you just listen to anything?

Pretty much anything.

Career. The behind the scenes side. Studio engineering, live sound, etc.

Guitar, bass, keyboard, a minor bit of drums. Vocals, if you want to count them.

5.) What does the music-making process entail for you? How do you get your inspiration? What steps do you usually take to make a full song?

Usually it starts with a small idea which turns into something much more. I can start out with a simple 4-note riff and finish out with a full on heavy metal track.

6.) What's more important to you? Putting your own thoughts and emotions in your track, telling a story, or making something that sounds good?

Both, really. I put my heart and soul into anything I record, and if it sounds good, that's a bonus. I go the extra mile to make sure my ideas sound good AND I can pour myself into them.

7.) Which is the hardest part of making music for you? Why?

Being stuck writing a track.

The whole process. It's fun, you get something good out of it, and a strong sense of satisfaction.

Errors, unwanted noise, etc.

About the same amount of importance. It's just as important to have a clear recording as it is to have a good track to me.

--

That's it! Post away!