New Topic Respond to this Topic
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-06 15:17:14 Reply

This week I broke my right thumb, which means I can't really use it to draw; at least until the swelling wears of, but perhaps even till the cast comes off (three weeks from now).

At 10/5/12 08:38 AM, Lundsfryd wrote: That sucks! Draw with your other hand. See it as an opportunity to broaden your range of expression. This may very well be the best thing to ever happen to you. You are going to wish you had broken your finger a long time ago!

Although I have my doubts about that last one, this does sound like a good idea so I guess that's what I'll do.
Don't expect this thread to have great art, do expect it to show solid progress and ... I dunno what to expect really, but at the very least it should be interesting to see this develop.

or, if nothing more, it might be a good indication of why you shouldn't break your thumb.

I started out with some 90 second gesture drawings from posemaniacs.
Keep in mind; these are the very first things I drew with my left hand:

jqb's sketchy lefty

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-06 15:18:51 Reply

and 2

jqb's sketchy lefty

BBS Signature
johnnycancer
johnnycancer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-06 15:50:11 Reply

This is pretty impressive considering it was done with your non-dominant hand. How did it feel drawing with your left hand?

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-06 19:30:46 Reply

At 10/6/12 03:50 PM, johnnycancer wrote: This is pretty impressive considering it was done with your non-dominant hand. How did it feel drawing with your left hand?

really odd and really awkward. Holding the pencil was challenging of itself, let alone drawing with it.
I wonder if I should try to be more sketchy with these: atm I'm basically just pushing the pencil into the paper and moving my entire hand around; I'll try to do some sketchy gesture drawings tomorrow.

BBS Signature
Kostou
Kostou
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-06 19:43:07 Reply

At 10/6/12 07:30 PM, J-qb wrote:
At 10/6/12 03:50 PM, johnnycancer wrote: This is pretty impressive considering it was done with your non-dominant hand. How did it feel drawing with your left hand?
really odd and really awkward. Holding the pencil was challenging of itself, let alone drawing with it.
I wonder if I should try to be more sketchy with these: atm I'm basically just pushing the pencil into the paper and moving my entire hand around; I'll try to do some sketchy gesture drawings tomorrow.

wow dude, you may be ambidextrous. Those look really good for never using your left hand to draw! Very interesting!

Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-07 02:05:56 Reply

At 10/6/12 03:18 PM, J-qb wrote: and 2

try drawing from the inside out and not the other way around, this way you can feel the poses and it's less about getting the details(which it never is with gestures) and about the feel of what the pose is. Try doing some 30 second poses and relaxing your arm and make your brain shut off while doing so
http://conteanimated.com/wp-content/gallery/endpics/g3_padne w_040_print.jpg
http://conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=730 226&d=1248255901
http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/3686/gesture046uh.jpg
http://conteanimated.com/wp-content/gallery/endpics/g3_padne w_002_print.jpg
there isn't as much detail but you can FEEL exactly what that person is feeling when they're doing the pose, where the tension lies in which bones and it ends up much fluid. Also it's a much more natural base for any polishing up you as opposed to starting out stiff and finishing stiffer

Lundsfryd
Lundsfryd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-07 07:11:38 Reply

Awesome that you give it a try. Or though I was saying it in a kidding manor I did mean what I wrote. Drawing with your non dominant hand is a great way of tricking your brain into venturing into new directions. But yeah, try to loosen up a bit and not force it :)

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations
nilfisk

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-07 10:56:07 Reply

Lolshit, those look like my right-handed posemaniac attempts. Keep it up, I'm interested to see how you develop.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-07 11:52:14 Reply

I love that you're keeping up with art even though you busted your thumb.
This is some really good practice, since you are stepping out of a physical comfort zone as oppose to a stylistic one.
Even though your left hand is weaker, you still show good control over your poses and figures.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-07 15:37:39 Reply

At 10/6/12 09:00 PM, TheCrimsonWidow wrote: If you used your bad hand while you drew it, I can't wait to see your dominant hand draw!

thanks; you can check out my regular stuff via my profile

At 10/6/12 07:43 PM, Kostou wrote: wow dude, you may be ambidextrous. Those look really good for never using your left hand to draw! Very interesting!

lol, not by far, these are really awkward and uncomfortable to do

At 10/7/12 11:52 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I love that you're keeping up with art even though you busted your thumb.
This is some really good practice, since you are stepping out of a physical comfort zone as oppose to a stylistic one.
Even though your left hand is weaker, you still show good control over your poses and figures.

thanks

At 10/7/12 10:56 AM, Otto wrote: Lolshit, those look like my right-handed posemaniac attempts. Keep it up, I'm interested to see how you develop.

lol, posemaniac gesture drawings are really rewarding cause you tend to get a lot of improvement pretty quick if you keep doing em; that said; my right-hand ones aren't much better than this.

At 10/7/12 07:11 AM, Lundsfryd wrote: Awesome that you give it a try. Or though I was saying it in a kidding manor I did mean what I wrote. Drawing with your non dominant hand is a great way of tricking your brain into venturing into new directions. But yeah, try to loosen up a bit and not force it :)

will do, and thanks for the suggestion!

At 10/7/12 02:05 AM, Lucky wrote: try drawing from the inside out and not the other way around, this way you can feel the poses and it's less about getting the details(which it never is with gestures) and about the feel of what the pose is. Try doing some 30 second poses and relaxing your arm and make your brain shut off while doing so
there isn't as much detail but you can FEEL exactly what that person is feeling when they're doing the pose, where the tension lies in which bones and it ends up much fluid. Also it's a much more natural base for any polishing up you as opposed to starting out stiff and finishing stiffer

Thanks for the pointers; I tried to loosen up a bit today, and did 60 seconds instead of 90. Controlling the pencil and motions of my left hand is still really uncomfortable, but I can only assume that that will pass eventually.

jqb's sketchy lefty

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-07 15:42:18 Reply

and 2

jqb's sketchy lefty

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-07 15:49:16 Reply

At 10/7/12 03:37 PM, J-qb wrote: lol, posemaniac gesture drawings are really rewarding cause you tend to get a lot of improvement pretty quick if you keep doing em

God yes, gonna do some now actually. Got a life drawing class tomorrow aswell. You should try one with you're left hand if you're feeling brave.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-08 11:53:14 Reply

more posemaniacs today I'll try a more developed drawing tomorrow

jqb's sketchy lefty

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-08 11:54:29 Reply

These are all done on 120 grams a5 paper in case you were wondering

jqb's sketchy lefty

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to jqb's sketchy lefty 2012-10-08 14:59:00 Reply

Go Qb, Go.
Although it may sound cliche, and its already pretty much been said, but glad to see you still going at it despite the injury.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature