Be a Supporter!
Drake
Drake
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 15:44:51 Reply

At 10/6/12 02:24 PM, thegarbear14 wrote: Don't call people europeans, it's vague and stupid. The European union is not a country last time i checked. I don't call people europeans. I call them by their nationalities. I've really never met a person who called themself a European who has not called me a fat stupid american or even worse. It annoys me when people say Europe/europeans and mean Like germany/germans only. Doesn't make any sense.

Any sensible person would call a group of people comprising of multiple nationalities from Europe "a group of Europeans."

American only refers to citizens of the united states. European is just dumb and vague. Call people by their nationality not by continent.

In a way, you're referring to U.S. citizens by continent when using "American." Since, y'know, they live in North America.

At 10/6/12 02:49 PM, 24901miles wrote: There are definite land-water borders between the Americas, the distinctions between Nations, States, Countries, and Unions are very complex, and there's no reason to argue about such an arbitrary detail every time it develops into a pet peeve.

This isn't an arbitrary detail when billions of people use it daily without giving it second thought.

Chuckled at both Percie and Painbringer's posts.

ceb @ twitter | Jerkcity, est. 1998 | Tateos is a cool guy.

BBS Signature
thegarbear14
thegarbear14
  • Member since: Jul. 6, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 15:59:07 Reply

At 10/6/12 03:44 PM, Drake wrote:
At 10/6/12 02:24 PM, thegarbear14 wrote: Don't call people europeans, it's vague and stupid. The European union is not a country last time i checked. I don't call people europeans. I call them by their nationalities. I've really never met a person who called themself a European who has not called me a fat stupid american or even worse. It annoys me when people say Europe/europeans and mean Like germany/germans only. Doesn't make any sense.
Any sensible person would call a group of people comprising of multiple nationalities from Europe "a group of Europeans."

American only refers to citizens of the united states. European is just dumb and vague. Call people by their nationality not by continent.
In a way, you're referring to U.S. citizens by continent when using "American." Since, y'know, they live in North America.

At 10/6/12 02:49 PM, 24901miles wrote: There are definite land-water borders between the Americas, the distinctions between Nations, States, Countries, and Unions are very complex, and there's no reason to argue about such an arbitrary detail every time it develops into a pet peeve.
This isn't an arbitrary detail when billions of people use it daily without giving it second thought.

Chuckled at both Percie and Painbringer's posts.

No I say american because it is called the united states of america and the term is american. In a group of people of various nationalities i probably wouldn't just say "europeans" unless it was a very large group with very many people from different countries.

Typically in the americas you say a group of latinos for south americans or south americans and then american/canadian for north americans depending where they are from.


BBS Signature
Happygrounder
Happygrounder
  • Member since: May. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Filmmaker
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 16:49:54 Reply

It's because "United Statesian" doesn't sound right, so we just call them american, because it's the most familiar country in America.

Drake
Drake
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 17:08:08 Reply

At 10/6/12 03:59 PM, thegarbear14 wrote: No I say american because it is called the united states of america and the term is american. In a group of people of various nationalities i probably wouldn't just say "europeans" unless it was a very large group with very many people from different countries.

That's what I meant when I was talking about groups of Europeans.

Typically in the americas you say a group of latinos for south americans or south americans and then american/canadian for north americans depending where they are from.

I believe there are some South American countries that aren't largely populated by Latinos, and quite a number of Canadians are French by heritage, which technically makes them French.


ceb @ twitter | Jerkcity, est. 1998 | Tateos is a cool guy.

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Writer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 17:10:29 Reply

United Statian is the correct term.

But people are too stupid to change, apparently. Even the president, congressmen, senators, governors, etc.

Anyway, to U.S. citizens, there ain't much outside 'mer'ca. So they might as well have the name. The might as well claim the name "Earthling" as well.

T3XT
T3XT
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 17:11:27 Reply

United Statesians

POTaTOS
POTaTOS
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 17:31:22 Reply

What, you want us to call ourselves United Statesian?


[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature
thegarbear14
thegarbear14
  • Member since: Jul. 6, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 17:36:25 Reply

At 10/6/12 05:08 PM, Drake wrote:
At 10/6/12 03:59 PM, thegarbear14 wrote: No I say american because it is called the united states of america and the term is american. In a group of people of various nationalities i probably wouldn't just say "europeans" unless it was a very large group with very many people from different countries.
That's what I meant when I was talking about groups of Europeans.

Typically in the americas you say a group of latinos for south americans or south americans and then american/canadian for north americans depending where they are from.
I believe there are some South American countries that aren't largely populated by Latinos, and quite a number of Canadians are French by heritage, which technically makes them French.

a large number of americans and south americans have european heritage. French candians are just reffered to as canadian or french canadian. South american would be used for someone of non latino background.


BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 18:28:06 Reply

So we should then call Mexico the United States of Mexico since they have states right?


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 18:31:34 Reply

At 10/6/12 05:08 PM, Drake wrote: and quite a number of Canadians are French by heritage, which technically makes them French.

No, it doesnt.

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 19:04:14 Reply

At 10/6/12 05:36 PM, thegarbear14 wrote: French candians are just reffered to as canadian or french canadian.

Canadien.

II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 20:21:22 Reply

At 10/6/12 05:10 PM, FBIpolux wrote: United Statian is the correct term.

But people are too stupid to change, apparently.

Dude, the term itself sounds stupid that's the last phrase it should change to.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 20:30:31 Reply

At 10/6/12 05:08 PM, Drake wrote: quite a number of Canadians are French by heritage, which technically makes them French.

That would be like saying that I'm technically Swedish. Since when does heritage dictate nationality?


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Member since: Nov. 17, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Artist
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 20:32:41 Reply

At 10/6/12 01:21 PM, Entice wrote: "U.S. Citizen" sounds awkward and no other country refers to themselves as America so it works.

Yep.
But yeah, I just refer people living in the U.S.A as Americans.


R O A $ T D U C K - Soundcloud
ϫ It's a metaphor you potato with eyes ϫ

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 20:55:28 Reply

At 10/6/12 02:19 PM, Drake wrote: Because calling people "Europeans" for living in Europe isn't just as vague.

Europe isn't a country. USA is.

Why are you finding the concept so hard? Would you really prefer us to call ourselves "US citizens"?


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Member since: Jan. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 20:56:50 Reply

Sorry, would you prefer U.S.Aian?


BBS Signature
Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Writer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 21:04:46 Reply

But I'm a USA American.


Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 22:29:19 Reply

United States of Americans is too long to say.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Kwing
Kwing
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 23:25:13 Reply

No other country has the name 'America' in it, only the United States of America. In fact, America is the only proper noun in the USA's name; both 'united' and 'states' are rather ambiguous. Furthermore, we're talking about nationality, which has a direct cognate with 'nation'. North America and South America are not nations; they're continents. Therefore North American or South American are not really nationalities.

What really bothers me is when people refer to Native Americans as Indians. Because the United States only called itself America once it was colonized, I'm not bothered by European immigrants calling themselves Americans, but calling Native Americans Indians is ridiculous as there's no correlation between Native Americans and the country India.


If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 23:33:59 Reply

At 10/6/12 11:25 PM, Kwing wrote: What really bothers me is when people refer to Native Americans as Indians. Because the United States only called itself America once it was colonized, I'm not bothered by European immigrants calling themselves Americans, but calling Native Americans Indians is ridiculous as there's no correlation between Native Americans and the country India.

Well, it was an honest but stupid mistake when they thought it was India. I wouldnt exactly say its exactly serious either and neither indians nor native americans seem to care.

thegarbear14
thegarbear14
  • Member since: Jul. 6, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to "American" 2012-10-07 00:20:16 Reply

At 10/6/12 11:33 PM, BumFodder wrote:
At 10/6/12 11:25 PM, Kwing wrote: What really bothers me is when people refer to Native Americans as Indians. Because the United States only called itself America once it was colonized, I'm not bothered by European immigrants calling themselves Americans, but calling Native Americans Indians is ridiculous as there's no correlation between Native Americans and the country India.
Well, it was an honest but stupid mistake when they thought it was India. I wouldnt exactly say its exactly serious either and neither indians nor native americans seem to care.

Indians don't give a shit but it seems Native americans care. Although there are barely any of them. It seems wrong to call them indians in more than just being incorrect but it seems to make it seem like they moved here from India and never lived here before then. It also seperates them from North america, despite them living here before colonisation.


BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to "American" 2012-10-07 04:30:42 Reply

feel free to call U.S.A people North Americans just to piss them off

and if they tell you to stop tell them you aren't sure if they were from Canada or the U.S.A


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Revo357912
Revo357912
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to "American" 2012-10-07 04:40:50 Reply

I guess we should call all french, italians, etc Europeans and Ethiopians and Nigerians Africans and the Chinese and japanese Asians while we're at it.


BBS Signature
Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to "American" 2012-10-07 05:00:51 Reply

What about the extra American to the front of it to other nationalities? Like Meso-American, African-American, Native-American


I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
OingoBoingo
OingoBoingo
  • Member since: Nov. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to "American" 2012-10-07 05:33:28 Reply

At 10/6/12 01:45 PM, 24901miles wrote: We refer to European Union citizens as Europeans.
We refer to American Union citizens as Americans.

This is not a difficult concept.

I love how you think that the European Union is a continent.


"The cup is nor half full, nor half empty, but entirely full of and overflowing with shit"-a gigantic faggot (myself)