New Topic Respond to this Topic
Drake
Drake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Audiophile
"American" 2012-10-06 13:20:12 Reply

This is something that has been bothering me recently. Anytime someone says "American", one automatically assumes that they are referring to a citizen of the United States. Yes, the citizens of the U.S. are Americans, but they aren't the only ones. Anyone within the Americas, north, south, or central, is an American; no exception. Canadians? Americans. Brazilians? Americans. You get my point.

I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this matter.

ceb @ twitter | Jerkcity, est. 1998 | Tateos is a cool guy.

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 13:21:30 Reply

"U.S. Citizen" sounds awkward and no other country refers to themselves as America so it works.

Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 13:22:14 Reply

That's just the way it is, and to refer to Brazilians as Americans would only impede the conversation, and though it would be right, such strict terminology should be saved for answering questions on QI.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 13:26:55 Reply

At 10/6/12 01:21 PM, Entice wrote: "U.S. Citizen" sounds awkward and no other country refers to themselves as America so it works.

^this. I thought it was quite obvious.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
YenMuffin
YenMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 13:31:55 Reply

Canada has Canadians.
Mexico has Mexican.
Peru has Peruvians.
Brazil has Brazilians.
U.S. has Americans. Deal with it.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure sucks ass.

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 13:44:08 Reply

At 10/6/12 01:20 PM, Drake wrote: This is something that has been bothering me recently. Anytime someone says "American", one automatically assumes that they are referring to a citizen of the United States. Yes, the citizens of the U.S. are Americans, but they aren't the only ones. Anyone within the Americas, north, south, or central, is an American; no exception. Canadians? Americans. Brazilians? Americans. You get my point.

It's an ambiguous point at best. When referring to someone's country of birth as their classification, i.e. I am an Englishman, the term would be used to indicate someone from the country of the United States of America and therefore not someone from the two continents that were named in honour of Amerigo Vespucci.

American - Someone from the USA (politically)
Canadian - Someone from Canada, a Canadian citizen

Yes, there is the wider view of calling Englishmen Brits and then even further zoomed out, Europeans, neither of which I particularly subscribe to (except the Olympics, I was very proud to be British during those two weeks), so if we apply that to the Americas, you can refer to everyone in the USA and Canada, that is a citizen of those countries as "North American", with Mexico and a few other countries making up "Central America", plus Brazil, Argentina, Chile and the rest making up the "South American" continent.

Where do you draw the line? There is no definite border (only one defined on maps) between North, Central and South America, the same as there isn't one between Europe, Asia and Africa. Two side to the argument, there are.

Thank you, Yoda.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
thegarbear14
thegarbear14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:06:23 Reply

At 10/6/12 01:45 PM, 24901miles wrote: We refer to European Union citizens as Europeans.
We refer to American Union citizens as Americans.

This is not a difficult concept.

The european union is not a country. The united states is. Faggots call themselves "europeans" typically to inflate their egos and to claim some part of the history of all of europe.

If you live in the united kingdom( a country) you're a british citizen and are referred to as british, if you're a french citizen then you're french, if you are a canadian citizen, you're canadian. You may live on a continent but you live in that country.

English,scottish,welsh etc. name region and are in the u.k i don't mind people calling themself by that.

Don't just go "oh i'm american i live in north/south america, it's just not commonly accepted, vague, and theirs a country that calls themselves american as it is the united states of america...

BBS Signature
thegarbear14
thegarbear14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:07:44 Reply

At 10/6/12 01:45 PM, 24901miles wrote: We refer to European Union citizens as Europeans.
We refer to American Union citizens as Americans.

This is not a difficult concept.

I have seriously never met someone who call themselves european who didn't go on about how great they were and how shit everybody else is.

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Artist
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:11:02 Reply

At 10/6/12 02:07 PM, thegarbear14 wrote: I have seriously never met someone who call themselves european who didn't go on about how great they were and how shit everybody else is.

I have seriously never met an American who wasn't half-Irish and half-Polish and a quarter-French and a third-Mongolian and who didn't go on about how cultured and intelligent they are while drinking pints of Guinness with a clover drawn in the foam.

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Artist
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:12:11 Reply

At 10/6/12 02:06 PM, thegarbear14 wrote: If you live in the united kingdom( a country) you're a british citizen and are referred to as british

Northern Ireland is not in Britain, tardvark.

DevinArcane
DevinArcane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:14:54 Reply

At 10/6/12 01:21 PM, Entice wrote: "U.S. Citizen" sounds awkward and no other country refers to themselves as America so it works.

This. Plus, the USA is the most important country in the Americas, anyways.

My power is the only power.

Drake
Drake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:19:06 Reply

At 10/6/12 01:44 PM, Coop wrote: Where do you draw the line? There is no definite border (only one defined on maps) between North, Central and South America, the same as there isn't one between Europe, Asia and Africa. Two side to the argument, there are.

Praise your wording, I must.

I like the idea of "American" referring to all peoples of the Americas. However, the idea of referring to multiple nationalities of the Americas is just as good.

At 10/6/12 02:06 PM, thegarbear14 wrote: The european union is not a country. The united states is. Faggots call themselves "europeans" typically to inflate their egos and to claim some part of the history of all of europe.

Countries within Europe are tied together by region. So are those in the Americas. Get what I'm saying now?

If you live in the united kingdom( a country) you're a british citizen and are referred to as british, if you're a french citizen then you're french, if you are a canadian citizen, you're canadian. You may live on a continent but you live in that country.

Can still be generalized into a nationality regardless of the fact.

English,scottish,welsh etc. name region and are in the u.k i don't mind people calling themself by that.

This one isn't so clear due to Fortress of Solitude crystal clarity.

Don't just go "oh i'm american i live in north/south america, it's just not commonly accepted, vague, and theirs a country that calls themselves american as it is the united states of america...

Because calling people "Europeans" for living in Europe isn't just as vague.

ceb @ twitter | Jerkcity, est. 1998 | Tateos is a cool guy.

BBS Signature
thegarbear14
thegarbear14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:24:18 Reply

At 10/6/12 02:19 PM, Drake wrote:
At 10/6/12 01:44 PM, Coop wrote: Where do you draw the line? There is no definite border (only one defined on maps) between North, Central and South America, the same as there isn't one between Europe, Asia and Africa. Two side to the argument, there are.
Praise your wording, I must.

I like the idea of "American" referring to all peoples of the Americas. However, the idea of referring to multiple nationalities of the Americas is just as good.

At 10/6/12 02:06 PM, thegarbear14 wrote: The european union is not a country. The united states is. Faggots call themselves "europeans" typically to inflate their egos and to claim some part of the history of all of europe.
Countries within Europe are tied together by region. So are those in the Americas. Get what I'm saying now?

Can still be generalized into a nationality regardless of the fact.

This one isn't so clear due to Fortress of Solitude crystal clarity.

Because calling people "Europeans" for living in Europe isn't just as vague.

Don't call people europeans, it's vague and stupid. The European union is not a country last time i checked. I don't call people europeans. I call them by their nationalities. I've really never met a person who called themself a European who has not called me a fat stupid american or even worse. It annoys me when people say Europe/europeans and mean Like germany/germans only. Doesn't make any sense.

American only refers to citizens of the united states. European is just dumb and vague. Call people by their nationality not by continent.

BBS Signature
Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:35:04 Reply

if it wasn't like this then it would be fucking confusing

I refer to canada as North America and blah blah mexico south america

homor
homor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:43:25 Reply

Hey genius, people have been doing this for years. It's called an abbreviation. Look it up.

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."
- Dale Gribble
Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:43:50 Reply

Stop worrying about terms that'll never change.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
thegarbear14
thegarbear14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:45:25 Reply

At 10/6/12 02:43 PM, II2none wrote: Stop worrying about terms that'll never change.

they'll change as countries change, but for now just call people terms based on where they're citizens....

ex: if in the next 200years the united states changes into other countries with different names then people will be called by different terms.

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:46:18 Reply

But wouldnt a "United states of american" sound cooler than an "american"?

maybe a United statesian or a U.S.A-Man, I think they would like to be cooled USA mans.

my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
thegarbear14
thegarbear14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:49:56 Reply

At 10/6/12 02:46 PM, MrPercie wrote: But wouldnt a "United states of american" sound cooler than an "american"?

maybe a United statesian or a U.S.A-Man, I think they would like to be cooled USA mans.

well sometimes people call U.S citizens "yankees" lol

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:51:44 Reply

Usanians.

Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:59:26 Reply

Well to be fair it is the only American country to actually have to the word "America" in it is name.

United States of America

#AMAFORSEXSLAVE2014

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 14:59:40 Reply

At 10/6/12 02:45 PM, thegarbear14 wrote:
Nitpicking.

Okay change in our lifetime.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 15:00:17 Reply

Indeed that is true, but we are the only country I know of with the word America in our names. United Stateicans sounds retarded as fuck and it isn't like calling us American leaves people confused on which nation you are talking about.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 15:09:29 Reply

All the other countries in the Americas ain't even on our level. Those scrubs don't get the title

simon
simon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 15:16:57 Reply

I don't think Canadians would want to be called Americans, the same with everyone else who isn't from the United States.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Playstation ID: SCParry || Steam ID: GNS_SimpLe
3DS Friend Code: 2878-9581-7218 || Nintendo ID: SCParry

BBS Signature
SirFinland
SirFinland
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 15:17:52 Reply

I just immediately thought of this song. That is all.

HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 15:19:55 Reply

Tell that to the people always spouting the term "Asian" when 90% of the time they're referring to Japanese.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 15:22:11 Reply

At 10/6/12 02:07 PM, thegarbear14 wrote:

I have seriously never met someone who call themselves european who didn't go on about how great they were and how shit everybody else is.

You haven't been to the Politic forum in 2003 you it's a given that you're not aware.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 15:24:24 Reply

At 10/6/12 03:19 PM, jjjkuk wrote: Tell that to the people always spouting the term "Asian" when 90% of the time they're referring to Japanese.

Mostly it's just "Chinese or Japanese" kind of thing. I remember when it was parodied on "King of the Hill" when a character from Laos came in for the first time.

There are stereotypes that gets them all lumped together however.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
unconsidered
unconsidered
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to "American" 2012-10-06 15:37:43 Reply

Ditto