Be a Supporter!

why was jigglypuff in smash bros?

  • 2,122 Views
  • 60 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
darkjam
darkjam
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2012
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Gamer
why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:12 PM Reply

why was such a useless character put in such an amazing game? it makes no sense someone try to explain what nintendo were smoking this time!


It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! You shall watch and you shall like.

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:21 PM Reply

At 10/3/12 05:12 PM, darkjam wrote: why was such a useless character put in such an amazing game? it makes no sense someone try to explain what nintendo were smoking this time!

If you're going to complain about smash bros complain about something NO ONE likes. Like the stupid trip mechanic in Brawl. Like any character Jiggly-Puff can be formidable if you know how to use her. However I have yet to loose to a JigglyPuff pro.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Game Developer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:29 PM Reply

At 10/3/12 05:12 PM, darkjam wrote: why was such a useless character put in such an amazing game? it makes no sense someone try to explain what nintendo were smoking this time!

Jigglypuff is actually pretty deadly if you can use her right.

Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:57 PM Reply

At 10/3/12 05:29 PM, TheMajormel wrote:
At 10/3/12 05:12 PM, darkjam wrote: why was such a useless character put in such an amazing game? it makes no sense someone try to explain what nintendo were smoking this time!
Jigglypuff is actually pretty deadly if you can use her right.

But that goes for pretty much any character, doesn't it? I do remember his charging roll-out attack was pretty good and very abusable against some bosses in the game.

Anyway, I think they could have done with less Pokemon in the Smash Bros games. Pokemon Trainer was a nice idea in Brawl and Pikachu should be in these games, but Jigglypuff, Pichu, Mewtwo and Lucario just seem so random. Especially Pichu didn't add anything and was completely useless.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 15 March 2014)

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 43
Gamer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 06:24 PM Reply

At 10/3/12 05:57 PM, Auz wrote:
Especially Pichu didn't add anything and was completely useless.

LMAO at Pichu. I remember being a kid and being like, "So..it's a version of Pikachu that hurts itself? That's the stupidest idea ever."

As far as Jigglypuff goes, I always kinda assumed she/he was put in there to be a sort of gag character that people could master to prove how good they were at the game. Similar to Street Fighter's Dan.


Sig by BlueHippo - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

mrpwnzer
mrpwnzer
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 07:59 PM Reply

If you can time Jigglypuff's rest (down+b) just right, then she can be pretty deadly.


Xbox live: C0n Queso
PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten
Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature
SomeTurtle
SomeTurtle
  • Member since: Dec. 12, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:32 PM Reply

I never really used Jigglypuff, but I was never personally appaled by it, I do think they did start to add too many pokemon(although the pokemon trainer was cool). Plus Jigglypuff was around since the first(correct me if wrong), so why not keep it along.

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Member since: Jun. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Programmer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 12:59 AM Reply

Actually in melee she's was arguably the most powerful character.


If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 02:21 AM Reply

Jigglypuff is a fucking badass. Why wouldn't you have it in the games?


"Where I fall ten more shall take my place! And one-hundred each of them! So strike me down! I am the harbinger!"-Ollanius Pius

Buy me things.

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Member since: Aug. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 08:07 AM Reply

At 10/4/12 12:59 AM, MintPaw wrote: Actually in melee she's was arguably the most powerful character.

Any Smash Bros. Melee professional worth their salt will tell you the best characters were Marth and Falco.


BBS Signature
Bstuk2
Bstuk2
  • Member since: Dec. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Gamer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 12:32 PM Reply

At 10/3/12 05:21 PM, II2none wrote:

However I have yet to loose to a JigglyPuff pro.

4553-9666-1050

Let me change that for you.


Steam: Bstuk

BBS Signature
Th-e
Th-e
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 12:37 PM Reply

I never played the original or Melee, but got myself into Brawl.

Jigglypuff is an alright character, though I would prefer others like Fox, Falco, Kirby, etc.

The "Rest" move only works at a real short range (like if your opponent is directly over you, then PING!!!) and otherwise costs Jiggly time in sleep.

Also, if Jigglypuff overuses the shield, then kiss it goodbye unless there is a ceiling above it.

Still, there is that glitch in Brawl that is fun to play with. Give Jigglypuff the Smash Ball, and use it when the bridge regenerates in that Zelda arena. Then get Yoshi to repeatedly swallow it, and get GigaLuff!


Feel no mercy for me. It will only cause you to suffer as well.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 02:38 PM Reply

I honestly have no idea why Jigglypuff was put into Super Smash Bros. I want to say it is because of the anime in how Jigglypuff was a reoccurring character, but even that's a stretch since Jigglypuff's singing wasn't used as a final smash in Brawl and they had the idea of final smashes since the original Smash Bros.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2012
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Gamer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 04:22 PM Reply

Any Smash Bros. Melee professional worth their salt will tell you the best characters were Marth and Falco.

correction i believe it is fox and sheik


It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! You shall watch and you shall like.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 05:15 PM Reply

At 10/4/12 08:07 AM, FallenMartyr wrote: Any Smash Bros. Melee professional worth their salt will tell you the best characters were Marth and Falco.

Tee-hee. You're funny! :P

At 10/4/12 08:17 AM, Protagonist wrote: Anyone worth their salt is good enough to use any character regardless of advantages Or disadvantages.

This man speaks the truth!

Just saying.

SHH! We don't need to rob them of their imaginary tier charts. They put effort into those.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Crink
Crink
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 07:24 PM Reply

jigglypuff was put in the game because they already made kirby and they couldn't be fucked to think of another idea. jigglypuff kinda looks like kirby

At 10/4/12 08:17 AM, Protagonist wrote: Anyone worth their salt is good enough to use any character regardless of advantages Or disadvantages.
This man speaks the truth!

Just saying.
SHH! We don't need to rob them of their imaginary tier charts. They put effort into those.

man you guys are so casual. it hurts me just posting in the same thread


hey

BBS Signature
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 07:57 PM Reply

At 10/4/12 08:17 AM, Protagonist wrote:
At 10/4/12 08:07 AM, FallenMartyr wrote: Any Smash Bros. Melee professional worth their salt will tell you the best characters were Marth and Falco.
Anyone worth their salt is good enough to use any character regardless of advantages Or disadvantages.

Just saying.

As a melee enthusiast, I wholeheartedly agree. I play a mean Yoshi and Mewtwo among friends.

Jigglypuff's inclusion in Smash 64 was definitely because of the show's popularity. You know who else was planned to be in the game that has no business there? Meowth. Of course, meowth was there as one of the pokemon who come out of the poke ball item, but he was actually planned as a full-fledged fighter. Other surprising inclusions that didn't make it are King Dedede, Pit, and Marth.


I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 08:01 PM Reply

At 10/4/12 07:57 PM, Gustavos wrote:
Jigglypuff's inclusion in Smash 64 was definitely because of the show's popularity. You know who else was planned to be in the game that has no business there? Meowth.

As if they don't have enough poke-mon characters.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 08:10 PM Reply

Jigglypuff is a good Kirby clone, you can't complain about them as basically every character in the game shares gameplay with at least 1 other character, Gannondorf to Captain Falcon, Falco to Fox, Mario even has a doctor mario as well as Juigi. So of course Kirby will have a clone who is also exceptionally powerful.

You may think Jigglypuff is powerful yet it is incredibly deadly. It shares the same gameplay as questionably the most powerful character in the game series which would be Kirby when played to perfection.


When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 08:11 PM Reply

a better questing would be: why did they changed mewtwo with gaycario


Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Bstuk2
Bstuk2
  • Member since: Dec. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Gamer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 08:24 PM Reply

Jigglypuff is the best character in the game.

Prove me wrong.

why was jigglypuff in smash bros?


Steam: Bstuk

BBS Signature
Freaki-boy92
Freaki-boy92
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 09:04 PM Reply

At 10/4/12 08:11 PM, kakalxlax wrote: a better questing would be: why did they changed mewtwo with gaycario

god knows, mewtwo was freakin' awesome!

II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 09:32 PM Reply

At 10/4/12 08:24 PM, Bstuk2 wrote: Jigglypuff is the best character in the game.

Prove me wrong.

based on how many times I kicked ot's ass with Sonic Samus and Zelda I'd say that's evidence enough.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Crazywill
Crazywill
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 09:35 PM Reply

I thought Jigglypuff was pretty good if used properly. There are youtube vids of it kicking ass.


The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 09:52 PM Reply

At 10/4/12 12:32 PM, Bstuk2 wrote:
At 10/3/12 05:21 PM, II2none wrote:
However I have yet to loose to a JigglyPuff pro.

4553-9666-1050

Let me change that for you.

LET'S GO! I finally have online access and will be posting my friend code in a sec.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Bstuk2
Bstuk2
  • Member since: Dec. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Gamer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 09:58 PM Reply

At 10/4/12 09:32 PM, II2none wrote:
At 10/4/12 08:24 PM, Bstuk2 wrote: Jigglypuff is the best character in the game.

Prove me wrong.
based on how many times I kicked ot's ass with Sonic Samus and Zelda I'd say that's evidence enough.

I beat out Sonic Samus Zelda and even META KNIGHT!!!! with jigglypuff using my FEET. Your evidence is invalid.

why was jigglypuff in smash bros?


Steam: Bstuk

BBS Signature
Bstuk2
Bstuk2
  • Member since: Dec. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Gamer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 09:59 PM Reply

At 10/4/12 09:52 PM, II2none wrote:
At 10/4/12 12:32 PM, Bstuk2 wrote:
At 10/3/12 05:21 PM, II2none wrote:
However I have yet to loose to a JigglyPuff pro.

4553-9666-1050

Let me change that for you.
LET'S GO! I finally have online access and will be posting my friend code in a sec.

OH SHIT!!! Lets go son! Right now! Hopefully my dorm internet doesn't crap out on me. I'll also give ya a beating on smash 64 online if ya play that too.


Steam: Bstuk

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 10:00 PM Reply

I don't care how good anybody is with Jigglypuff. I still hate that character.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 10:18 PM Reply

At 10/4/12 09:59 PM, Bstuk2 wrote:

OH SHIT!!! Lets go son! Right now! Hopefully my dorm internet doesn't crap out on me. I'll also give ya a beating on smash 64 online if ya play that too.

0690-8898-6126 I'll be waitin


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Bstuk2
Bstuk2
  • Member since: Dec. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Gamer
Response to why was jigglypuff in smash bros? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 10:23 PM Reply

At 10/4/12 10:18 PM, II2none wrote:
At 10/4/12 09:59 PM, Bstuk2 wrote:

OH SHIT!!! Lets go son! Right now! Hopefully my dorm internet doesn't crap out on me. I'll also give ya a beating on smash 64 online if ya play that too.
0690-8898-6126 I'll be waitin

kk. get on ng chat so we can communicate better.


Steam: Bstuk

BBS Signature