Respond to this Topic
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-04 15:44:55 Reply

At 10/4/12 03:36 PM, Artist-Lost wrote: Do you have a freelance/business license to do art professionally or work for a company as an artist.

Test-object isn't a paid artist, and he won the contest.

BBS Signature
Artist-Lost
Artist-Lost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-04 16:01:12 Reply

At 10/4/12 03:44 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
Test-object isn't a paid artist, and he won the contest.

That's what I just said tho, amateur artists often beat professional artists thats why I don't want to bar them from competing in the top levels, but I think it would be a good experiment to try giving artists who are not as good as Test-object to compete against each other. Kind of like how the NGADM had a runner up contest.

BBS Signature
Kostou
Kostou
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-04 16:15:28 Reply

I once heard you must have a tattoo on your anus to become pro. I hope one day to be cool enough to join this elite league of professionals. Maybe Abe Lincoln our president will have the honor of tattooing my very own anus. Until then, I'm doomed to suck as an artist.

It is then, as a fully certified artist with an inked crack, that my work can compete with the best artists of the world.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-04 16:24:21 Reply

At 10/4/12 04:01 PM, Artist-Lost wrote: but I think it would be a good experiment to try giving artists who are not as good as Test-object to compete against each other. Kind of like how the NGADM had a runner up contest.

And how would you work out who should compete in the top levels compared to the bottom.

I've gone full circle, but this is the point I'm driving at. Why split the contest in two when
- The winner of the ... let's say "lower tier" ... hasn't actually won an art contest, he's won the "You are Average!" award.
- Drawing that line where people is either higher/lower tier is incredibly tough, and you're bound to get people who think somebody has been unfairly placed and, most importantly
- Dividing the contest won't get more people. If you cut a cake in half, you still have the same amount of cake.

mm cake

I'd love to see more people do what ZJ did and get NG contests going if they think their idea is sound. People want the activities, not the extra administration.

BBS Signature
Artist-Lost
Artist-Lost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-04 16:25:47 Reply

Holy crack monkies batman! I never thought people would freak out about making a contest for non established artists. I never said anything about people being "Elite" That's your own projection. Forgive me for trying to be nice I guess Newgrounds isn't the place to inspire "New" artists to compete.

BBS Signature
Artist-Lost
Artist-Lost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-04 16:38:07 Reply

At 10/4/12 04:24 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: And how would you work out who should compete in the top levels compared to the bottom.

I've gone full circle, but this is the point I'm driving at. Why split the contest in two when
- The winner of the ... let's say "lower tier" ... hasn't actually won an art contest, he's won the "You are Average!" award.
- Drawing that line where people is either higher/lower tier is incredibly tough, and you're bound to get people who think somebody has been unfairly placed and, most importantly
- Dividing the contest won't get more people. If you cut a cake in half, you still have the same amount of cake.
mm cake
I'd love to see more people do what ZJ did and get NG contests going if they think their idea is sound. People want the activities, not the extra administration.

You make a good point about a your average award, by in school they used separate it by grade and give a best in show to one person regardless of grade. I keep seeing people complain "Oh this craps rigged" Or "Only Established Artists here" I know you can't please everyone but I still want to make a difference. Maybe the answer isn't different leagues, I just thought it's worth trying once to see how it goes. I just hate seeing the low turnouts for contests. As much as it is nice to see familiar faces every contest I mostly enjoy seeing the newer contestants.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-04 17:00:47 Reply

At 10/4/12 04:38 PM, Artist-Lost wrote: I just hate seeing the low turnouts for contests. As much as it is nice to see familiar faces every contest I mostly enjoy seeing the newer contestants.

Splitting the competition by tiers wouldn't solve the low turnout issue. If anything, it might make matters worse.
Most people who compete in these competitions do it for fun, not for the prize money. They want to give the subject matter a go, have fun with the topic and improve their skills and abilities as an artist.
The main reason for the low turnout is that I just think people are losing interest in contests altogether, not because they are scared off by the competition. If that were the case, then every contest would have a low turnout, art or otherwise.

Artist-Lost
Artist-Lost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-04 17:14:23 Reply

At 10/4/12 05:00 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Splitting the competition by tiers wouldn't solve the low turnout issue. If anything, it might make matters worse.
Most people who compete in these competitions do it for fun, not for the prize money. They want to give the subject matter a go, have fun with the topic and improve their skills and abilities as an artist.
The main reason for the low turnout is that I just think people are losing interest in contests altogether, not because they are scared off by the competition. If that were the case, then every contest would have a low turnout, art or otherwise.

I understand that, I know Newgrounds for some reason is loosing interest, I can't understand why. Newgrounds has only gotten better over the years, Heck I remember when the Newgrounds logo was just NG and the previous New Grounds Atomix, yeah at the time it was still one of the best sites just based on how crappy the internet was around 2000. I honestly get psyched up for every holiday, barring clock day. *Shakes fist at the Clock Crew*Sadly every year people seem less and less interested. I mean, is it the money? Is it the Size? Because I shutter to think the answer is to downsize. Newgrounds after all these years is still Inde which is amazing. If the experiment I proposed isn't something people find worth trying, what can we do? I agree with TurkeyOnAStick about people doing what ZJ did, but the turn out was less then a page on the BBS. Does anyone have any ideas to really get Newgrounds people excited again?

BBS Signature
Kostou
Kostou
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-04 17:20:29 Reply

Ya, I'm convinced that dividing the contest into tiers will do jack. Why you may ask?

Well, I actually have a real life experience that supports this. *fart*

Not long ago I did a contest with great prizes. (When all was said and done it cost about $100) I even specified that skill would not play a factor in my judging because as the one running the contest I could judge based on factors I deemed fit to the contest. I even encouraged new artists or people who viewed themselves as new to art.

Bottom line was, I had a low turn out anyway. I believe I had 7 entries, all of which were from artists I had never heard of.

So I think people are just not interested in contests. The "skilled" artists who compete in these contests certainly do not scare contestants away. I think that's pretentious for an artist to believe that to be the case. And, if someone isn't an artist , I think they are misinformed to believe this.

So, Johnny seems to be onto something. Artists do these competitions for whatever fun they can get out of it, and for some reason contests just aren't as fun as they used to be right now to the members of NewGrounds.

There's my two cents.

Kostou
Kostou
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-04 17:40:20 Reply

Sorry, not ALL were artists I had never heard of. That was a false statement. Thought I had better clear that up.

Artist-Lost
Artist-Lost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-04 18:01:27 Reply

At 10/4/12 05:20 PM, Kostou wrote: So, Johnny seems to be onto something. Artists do these competitions for whatever fun they can get out of it, and for some reason contests just aren't as fun as they used to be right now to the members of NewGrounds.

How about this then since it would seem it's imposible to for just us few here to come up with something that works debating what everyone else thinks, we put it to a poll? What do Newgrounders think of contests? Should there be more, less, new types? Prizes, No Prizes? Leagues, no leagues? After all Newgrounds is "Everything by Everyone" does anyone know how to get a poll up?

BBS Signature
XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Movie Buff
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-04 18:58:53 Reply

The new backrounds on the site are wickedly awsome, wish there was a way we could save them as full.

~X~

~X~ ~X~ ~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
POXNORA ??? A Very Unique game

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-04 21:32:04 Reply

At 10/4/12 03:48 PM, 24901miles wrote:
At 10/4/12 03:04 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: The drug art contest got a low turnout
Because the idea was stupid. All the best artists use drugs.

I was kinda hoping for parody on how silly those ads could be. The fact the people actually thought Alf and Bugs Bunny telling kids that drug dealers are just gonna push their products onto you for free and ruin your life is pretty comical.

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
SnakeSkull
SnakeSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-04 23:02:25 Reply

I'm saddened that I couldn't participate in the contest (time constraints).

Looking forward to the next one, however.

Barev dzez.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-05 00:21:09 Reply

At 10/4/12 09:32 PM, ZJ wrote: I was kinda hoping for parody on how silly those ads could be. The fact the people actually thought Alf and Bugs Bunny telling kids that drug dealers are just gonna push their products onto you for free and ruin your life is pretty comical.

That's why I went for a parody of that 90's PSA with the egg and the frying pan.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-05 04:44:34 Reply

At 10/4/12 09:32 PM, ZJ wrote:
At 10/4/12 03:48 PM, 24901miles wrote:
At 10/4/12 03:04 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: The drug art contest got a low turnout
Because the idea was stupid. All the best artists use drugs.
I was kinda hoping for parody on how silly those ads could be. The fact the people actually thought Alf and Bugs Bunny telling kids that drug dealers are just gonna push their products onto you for free and ruin your life is pretty comical.

Yeah, I regret saying that.

The truth is that you've had a workable idea to run as a contest, ran it by Tom, went through with it and managed to get some decent winners out at the end. That is a much better outcome than people asking "why isn't there any contests running at the moment".

BBS Signature
cisprakash
cisprakash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Movie Jam & Drug Art Winners! 2012-10-05 08:25:03 Reply

Congrats to all winners.