New Topic Respond to this Topic
StrapOnFetus
StrapOnFetus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:04 PM Reply

The Nintendo Entertainment System debuted in 1985, and introduced the modern video game elements. Some of which we still use today. Nintendo has always carried innovation in it's front pocket and help challenge a new generation of game developers to create the "best" game. The successor console also did just that, amazing us with the Super Nintendo. Sixteen bit graphics, coupled with good games like, Super Mario Bros,Starfox,Super Metroid, and Donkey Kong.

We flash forward to the present, leaving the 64 and Gamecube behind us. While the Wii still holds a good list of library games under it's belt. Some feel like it did not match the "current generation" The Wii is in fact less powerful then current systems. Along with a good list of games, it has more shovelware then grade a titles.

The Wii U, Nintendo's Next Generation console will launch with 23+ plus games. After release, gamers will have something to look forward to. Assassins Creed 3, Aliens Colonial Marines,Monster Hunter 3,Bayonetta 2, Metroid, the list goes on. Sony and Microsoft as of yet don't have plans for there next generation. And the graphical capabilities of the Wii U are still speculated.

The Wii U is said from sources gathered, that it will have a custom 45nm Power7 chip. Which is to say the least...Very modern, it also will boast GPGPU, maybe the more tech savvy can give you more information on what this all means. But it appears powerful.

Some say that by the time the new consoles come out, PS4 and NextBox. The Wii U will be the Wii all over again. But, I ask aloud. How much more powerful can consoles really get. Will the graphics be that much different? We, also will surely see some great programming during the Wii U's life cycle. Further extending the power and performance while the next consoles make there debut. Some of it all depends on marketing and the drawing board with execs trying to figure out what is best for the company.

Time will tell, I for one will be getting the Wii u Deluxe on November. I can't wait to see Zelda and my favorite games in 1080p. We will just have to wait and see :D

Archonic
Archonic
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:09 PM Reply

How can you even say any of this when we don't know ANYTHING about the PS4 or NextBox yet? Your arguments might actually turn out to be true, but why are you making them NOW, when you can be proven wrong at the drop of a hat?

satanbrain is always wrong
EGB || Bat Crew || Sig by EmmaVolt

BBS Signature
StrapOnFetus
StrapOnFetus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:11 PM Reply

At 10/2/12 10:09 PM, Spretznaz wrote: How can you even say any of this when we don't know ANYTHING about the PS4 or NextBox yet? Your arguments might actually turn out to be true, but why are you making them NOW, when you can be proven wrong at the drop of a hat?

But we do know that those systems will eventually come and that's a fact

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:29 PM Reply

At 10/2/12 10:04 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote:
The Wii U, Nintendo's Next Generation console will launch with 23+ plus games. After release, gamers will have something to look forward to. Assassins Creed 3, Aliens Colonial Marines,Monster Hunter 3,Bayonetta 2, Metroid, the list goes on. Sony and Microsoft as of yet don't have plans for there next generation. And the graphical capabilities of the Wii U are still speculated.

While the Wii U will have some amazing launch titles to go with it, the next generation's "console war" is still way too early to predict, considering that we aren't officially out of the 360/PS3 era just yet. With all that said, if Nintendo does learn from their mistakes from the Wii, and do what's necessary to appeal to both the hardcore and casual gamer market, then they will get back into the horse race, so to speak. The sales numbers will be there, but can they deliver on their promise on landing AAA titles to their console in the future?

All the signs say that Nintendo will, but as of now I'll see it when I see it.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:31 PM Reply

Ehg, the problem with specs like that is that unless you have the exact model it's useless, I mean, AMD comes out with a new line of processors they make very powerful ones but they also make extremely weak ones for netbooks and mobile devices. Newer does always mean better.

Also the idea of a custom chip, both the 360 and PS3 had custom chips that were clocked down from the market models, they were customly made weaker so they could be affordable, and that often happens.

GPU stands for Graphical Processing Unit, GPGPU just sounds like a terrible gimmick name. :/

Likely the newer consoles will be more powerful than the WiiU, but when it comes out it will definitely smash the 360 and PS3 in terms of performance.

This all doesn't take into account that Nintendo has had absolutely AWFUL online support when it's come to friends codes and all that gubbins, and that could destroy the WiiU, but we'll all see in time.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
StrapOnFetus
StrapOnFetus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:53 PM Reply

At 10/2/12 10:50 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: It boggles the mind how people are extolling this console for launching with a lineup consisting almost entirely of ports.

By your logic the same goes for 360 and Ps3. They are both different platforms, and games are ported from both all the time.

Just look at Resident Evil 4 for Gamecube

StrapOnFetus
StrapOnFetus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:11 PM Reply

At 10/2/12 11:01 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
Your logic fails. The 360 and PS3 aren't praised for their ports, they are praised for their exclusives (Halo, Uncharted, all that).

It is bullshit to worship a console for having games that are already available on other consoles. If you're honestly getting the Wii U to play ME3, Batman, AC3, or BO2, then you are wasting your money.

Then Nintendo shall be praised for there Exclusives. There is nothing wrong with first party single platform titles, so what are you trying to say?

And I hardly think anybody should worship a console. IF YOU ARE gonna worship something, seek religion. Ask for forgiveness, cause you make some loaded statements.

HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:14 PM Reply

At 10/2/12 10:04 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote: How much more powerful can consoles really get.

You must not have seen any Unreal Engine 4 trailers or Metal Gear Solid Zero or Watchdogs or The Last of Us or even the first Crysis in '07.

It's not just the graphics. The power allows for more complex and intelligent performance; more detailed things possible.

Sure, Nintendo will make oodles of money, and that's what business is about, but that doesn't mean they're quality. Apart from a few gimmicks, they play it too safe with their games. Most of the Wii and DS was shovelware shit and the same fucking characters from 20+ years ago getting a hundred miserable games with an odd exception here and there. The Wii U looks promising, but its power is still going to be behind when the next batch of consoles rolls around.

Also, fuck them for securing Bayonetta 2. Cunts.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:16 PM Reply

Well, the pre-orders in germany just sold out.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:19 PM Reply

At 10/2/12 11:14 PM, jjjkuk wrote: Also, fuck them for securing Bayonetta 2. Cunts.

You should be angry with Microsoft or Sony or another publisher not doing anything about it. Nintendo had the balls to put money behind that game, you should be thanking them if you liked the first.

StrapOnFetus
StrapOnFetus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:30 PM Reply

At 10/2/12 11:22 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 10/2/12 11:11 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote: Then Nintendo shall be praised for there Exclusives.
Fair enough. Just how many of those are there? I know there's gonna be a new Mario Game, Bayonetta 2, and that Lego City is coming eventually, but what is there beyond that?

We got Zelda and Metroid, maybe a new Eternal Darkness. Retro Studios is working on a new IP, along with several other exclusives that have yet to be named or revealed. :D

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:32 PM Reply

At 10/2/12 11:18 PM, Escalus wrote: PC will always win... why? LOLGRAPHICSLIMITATIONSONCONSOLES

This. Oh, how the petty console wars make me laugh.

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:38 PM Reply

At 10/2/12 11:22 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: Fair enough. Just how many of those are there? I know there's gonna be a new Mario Game, Bayonetta 2, and that Lego City is coming eventually, but what is there beyond that?

These are all launch titles as far as I am aware, so I don't know what you're going on about with the 3rd party at launch crap: ZombiU, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends (one of the reasons I want a WiiU), and there's some superhero game I saw some brief gameplay of that looks good but forget what it's called. Upcoming would be a new Zelda title, probably Metroid (you know, all the reused characters, but great nonetheless), Majora's Mask remake I believe, and I also heard about a new Dragon Quest.

The fact that there are going to be all these 3rd party titles is great. This shows promise for the WiiU to actually deliver games that aren't just exclusives or crappy ports of crappy games. I don't know why you're going on about people "extolling this console for launching with a lineup consisting almost entirely of ports" when it isn't almost entirely ports at all and that's what people wanted more of anyway because they didn't get that with the Wii. People who have stuck with Nintendo won't have played some of these 3rd party titles like Arkham City and whatever else there is.

Meh

simon
simon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:39 PM Reply

Nintendo will always be one step behind, whatever changes they make will be ultimately beaten. There was a time when this wasn't the case.. but yeah, they're fucked now.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Playstation ID: SCParry || Steam ID: GNS_SimpLe
3DS Friend Code: 2878-9581-7218 || Nintendo ID: SCParry

BBS Signature
XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Movie Buff
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:53 PM Reply

I dont know

I have heard some good things from wii u so we will see.

~X~`

~X~ ~X~ ~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
POXNORA ??? A Very Unique game

BBS Signature
Emlfuryoflion
Emlfuryoflion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:20 AM Reply

At 10/2/12 10:50 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: It boggles the mind how people are extolling this console for launching with a lineup consisting almost entirely of ports.

The 3 games im getting aren't ports. Nintendoland, New super mario bros U, Zombie U

ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:34 AM Reply

I don't see why everyone seems to think that Nintendo is "fucked". Didn't they "win" this generation's console war in terms of numbers? I've heard all sorts of reports on how there have been a lot more Wiis sold than PS3s and Xbox 360s...Why should we just assume now that they're gonna piss all of that away within the next few years?

Also, this seems relevant.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:09 AM Reply

At 10/3/12 12:34 AM, ZJ wrote: Didn't they "win" this generation's console war in terms of numbers?

There is no war. That's just a thing fanboys came up with. It's just competition.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:59 AM Reply

Like all the threads we had about the last console war, this one makes me wanna take a nap. There's nothing to argue here. Everybody is entitled to their being impressed or unimpressed with a console before its launch. And a war can't start if you have only one side.

Though I must say the Jimquisition video linked above makes a valid point. There won't be much competition between video game systems if only one is marketed as a game system. That instead of embracing new media integration all in one box, the Big Three need to play on their strengths as gaming companies (just pretending for a moment that Sony and Microsoft are game companies). Now I'm not sure the Wii U approach will get the system more sales than as a multimedia product, you can damn well be sure that hardcore gamers will flock to its direction before they even realize it. Which especially works in Nintendo's favor now that we got hundreds of thousands of casual gamers brought in with the Wii years ago ready to make a transition to "hardcore status".

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:33 AM Reply

Any console called Wii U will not win the console wars. Any self respecting person won't buy it. Added to that considering how the previous Wii was pretty much for younger audiences only 95% of the time you won't be finding it winning any made up wars.

Also motion control lol. Come back when someone actually understands how to make it work with gameplay, pretty much anyone with any common sense can answer that but we have yet to see any of those being hired by companies.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Emlfuryoflion
Emlfuryoflion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:41 AM Reply

At 10/3/12 02:33 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Also motion control lol. Come back when someone actually understands how to make it work with gameplay, pretty much anyone with any common sense can answer that but we have yet to see any of those being hired by companies.

So motion controls didn't work in skyward sword?

iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 06:45 AM Reply

At 10/3/12 02:33 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Any self respecting person won't buy it.

You're a fucking broney.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 07:16 AM Reply

At 10/2/12 11:11 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote: Then Nintendo shall be praised for there Exclusives. There is nothing wrong with first party single platform titles, so what are you trying to say?

What, all 10 of them, nestled between Wii U bowling and Wii U Carnival games?

Also, no 3rd part support except for worthless ports.

Wii U will win? lolno

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 07:22 AM Reply

At 10/2/12 11:32 PM, The-iMortal wrote: This. Oh, how the petty console wars make me laugh.

And I will laugh at you for your misguided superiority.

PC Gaming is a niche that barely even comprises 10% of total game sales. Why do you think ports, if they are even made are of shit quality 80% of the time? Because Devs don't CARE about PC Gamers, because the vast majority of sales will be on the PS3/360.

Get off your fucking high-horse. The day PC gaming wins is the day you convince everyone to sell their consoles and buy a gaming PC.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:22 AM Reply

It's the first out of the gate but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to win. The Wii technically won but it doesn't feel like much of a win to those who aren't hardcore Nintendo fans. The Wii U still has to compete against the ps3 and 360 as far as exclusives go.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
DingoWalleyStudio
DingoWalleyStudio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:34 AM Reply

At 10/3/12 02:33 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Any console called Wii U will not win the console wars. Any self respecting person won't buy it. Added to that considering how the previous Wii was pretty much for younger audiences only 95% of the time you won't be finding it winning any made up wars.

Also motion control lol. Come back when someone actually understands how to make it work with gameplay, pretty much anyone with any common sense can answer that but we have yet to see any of those being hired by companies.

1: Right, just like no one would buy a console called the "Wii". Yes, the Wii U is a ridiculous name (If only it were called "Revolution"... sigh), but really, compared to the creativity and sheer brilliance of Microsoft's "XBox 360" and Sony's "Playstation 3", at least it's something different. Also, you do realize that there are always going to be more kids, right? And with actual games like "ZombiU", "Bayonetta 2" and many more, odds are, it will attract some percentage of the Hardcore Gamers.

2: Actually the WiiU is less Motion Controls and is more Touch Screen Controls. And Touch Screens have been working with gaming since the DS in 2004. Touch Screen has had the refining, the tuning, and the experience to actually work. This won't be a repeat of the dumb Wii Controller (I would know, I played it at a WiiU Experience in Washington DC).

OT: The Wii is crud, but the WiiU looks amazing! However, I just don't see them having the huge lead they did with the Wii. If anything, the 8th generation will be a repeat of the 4th Gen (Genesis vs. Snes) were all the consoles are a lot more close to one another, and only at the end, does one win it.

robotking98
robotking98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 09:48 AM Reply

Launching with 23 games? Woopdee-fucking-do.
How much more powerful can consoles get? A lot, have you SEEN what some desktops are capable of?
How different can the graphics be? Compare a PS3 to an XBOX-360, there's a pretty big difference, and those are in the same generation.
"Further extend their power and performance", yes, because everyone wants to have to buy multiples of the same product because the company didn't do everything they should have done the first time around.

Point is the Wii U is going to suck.

Seriously, who even reads these things anymore?

BBS Signature
theacronyms
theacronyms
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:11 PM Reply

I haven't heard much about anything with the Wii U. It reminds me of the 3DS. It has this novelty that seems TOO MUCH. Like the Vita. Great idea, great system, but perhaps it's just a bit much. I don't know.

I'd prefer just an upgrade to the Wii.

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 03:32 PM Reply

This is more of a prediction than reasoning but well said.

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Wii U will win the console wars/why Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 06:16 PM Reply

Yeah, it's way too early to decided whether the Wii U will win the console wars. It'll probably win sales wise considering Nintendo, but who knows? Maybe the 720 or PS4 will do better. Nobody knows yet. We'll just have to wait and see what happens this gen.