Be a Supporter!

Gay people not allowed 2 give blood

  • 2,030 Views
  • 83 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 09:19 AM Reply

I had a gay male friend complain about this to me recently, and while I'm about ten trillion light years from being a gay rights icon, I see this as the kind of idiotic discrimination that always comes when the irrationally prejudiced are trying their hardest, and failing miserably, to maintain their bigotry in a society moving on from an age of darkness into a more enlightened era. In the 1950s and 1960s, when black and white began to integrate, there were holdouts in positions of power who opposed the integration at every turn. Nowadays, most people look back on them with shame, and those who see them more fondly are ridiculed as artifacts of a bygone age. Or perhaps as having been produced in trailer parks by various combinations of severe inbreeding and alcoholic mothers who drank a six-pack of beer a day throughout the pregnancy, only to flunk out of school after about the fourth grade at latest and immediately blame other races for their inability to find success. In time, I believe that this policy, too, will be viewed as a societal shame and as a drain on us all, and those who crafted and supported it as misguided at best or, at worst, as evil bigots, millstones tied to the neck of society that held us back by decades when we should have known better.

And make no mistake, this policy hasn't been something that would have been supported by contemporary "popular" knowledge, to say nothing of contemporary scientific knowledge, for a few decades. The usual excuse for policies such as this are to prevent the spread of HIV, yet nearly every thinking person has known for at least 20 years now that one doesn't have to be a homosexual to contract HIV. Promiscuous heterosexuals, prostitutes and their clients, intravenous drug users, all of these are likely to contract HIV, yet when I went to give blood a few years ago (I was rejected for my pulse being too high) I was not asked any questions about sexual activity or soliciting prostitutes. If HIV is their excuse, they would be just as strict about heterosexual activity as about homosexual acts. But they're not. HIV is an excuse, a cover used to flimsily hide real issues of homophobia and bigotry that, as of 2012, already borders on the fanatical when compared to the opinions of many in society as a whole. Gays aren't fully accepted yet, but they're working on it, and when their inevitable victory comes, we'll be as ashamed of policies such as this as we tend to be of racially segregated schools.

DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 09:23 AM Reply

Honestly I wouldn't take blood from a gay guy, I just don't like the idea of having gay blood inside me.

Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:03 AM Reply

The gay is contagious through blood.


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:01 AM Reply

This isn't new OR exciting. Given that it's 2012 and the bans been here since the HIV scare, it'll probably get lifted soon enough.


Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.
For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:05 AM Reply

Good, I don't wanna be catching the queer from a transfusion

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:06 AM Reply

At 10/7/12 02:05 AM, saqwert wrote: Good, I don't wanna be catching the queer from a transfusion

yur funee


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:08 AM Reply

Not sure about them turning gays away.
But this question is one of the odd ones:
As a female have you ever had sex with a man who has had sex with another man?

Something like that, maybe worded a little different.
Very strange as if that is connected to HIV more than straight sex. Protection is protection.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:10 AM Reply

At 10/7/12 02:08 AM, Sensationalism wrote: Very strange as if that is connected to HIV more than straight sex. Protection is protection.

Their logic:

"He's gay, and gays have a lot of sex, so he obviously must have STD's"


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
xxxcreep
xxxcreep
  • Member since: Sep. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:28 AM Reply

I don't think of it as a bad thing.
They don't take blood from former addicts either I think.
Or people who have recently gotten tattoos.
They are just playing it safe.


"Man, I nearly snapped my twig. Then again I nearly snapped A few of you"- Alice in Chains

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:35 AM Reply

At 10/7/12 02:28 AM, xxxcreep wrote: They are just playing it safe.

Safe from what? The gay disease?

If gayness is really a concern to you, then next thing I know you'll think that it's normal for them to refuse blood from people who like pepperoni pizza rather than cheese pizza.


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:37 AM Reply

At 10/7/12 02:28 AM, xxxcreep wrote: I don't think of it as a bad thing.
They don't take blood from former addicts either I think.
Or people who have recently gotten tattoos.
They are just playing it safe.

No HIV positive people is fine. No people who share needles is fine. But no gay people is ridiculous. They may as well only accept blood from lesbians, since they are lowest risk for it. A gay man could have a lower risk than a straight man based on personal habits and amount of precautions/protection used.
It seems like something that came as a result of the initial AIDS scare. It's outdated and needs to change.

If that's what they do.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
ohbombuh
ohbombuh
  • Member since: Aug. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:41 AM Reply

At 10/7/12 02:10 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 10/7/12 02:08 AM, Sensationalism wrote: Very strange as if that is connected to HIV more than straight sex. Protection is protection.
Their logic:

"He's gay, and gays have a lot of sex, so he obviously must have STD's"

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/us.htm
Oh shit I didn't mean to put that link there. Don't click it anybody. It's not related.


The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:44 AM Reply

At 10/7/12 02:41 AM, ohbombuh wrote: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/us.htm
Oh shit I didn't mean to put that link there. Don't click it anybody. It's not related.

I didn't get tested, and none of my friends (quite a few...) were tested

In fact, I've never met anyone who had any of their shit checked

The CDC just uses a ballpark average from each state, and the number of people they check is so small that it should be illegal for them to do that stupid shit

Not to mention that you have to present your medical records to give blood anyway, and they're gonna notice it if you have STD's

Are you really so stupid that you're gonna blindly trust this shit?


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
xxxcreep
xxxcreep
  • Member since: Sep. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:52 AM Reply

It takes 6-12 weeks for hiv antibodies to even show up on a blood test.
So if it's making everyone in the world safer from getting HIV or AIDS, then so be it.


"Man, I nearly snapped my twig. Then again I nearly snapped A few of you"- Alice in Chains

BBS Signature
Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Member since: Feb. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:52 AM Reply

and somehow americans still question why the world laughs at them

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:54 AM Reply

At 10/7/12 02:52 AM, xxxcreep wrote: So if it's making everyone in the world safer from getting HIV or AIDS, then so be it.

Gay, has AIDS

You're either homophobic, misinformed, or incredibly stupid. Or all three.


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
xxxcreep
xxxcreep
  • Member since: Sep. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 02:58 AM Reply

At 10/7/12 02:54 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 10/7/12 02:52 AM, xxxcreep wrote: So if it's making everyone in the world safer from getting HIV or AIDS, then so be it.
Gay, has AIDS

You're either homophobic, misinformed, or incredibly stupid. Or all three.

No, Its just that ALOT of people who died of AIDS/HIV back then were gay.


"Man, I nearly snapped my twig. Then again I nearly snapped A few of you"- Alice in Chains

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 03:02 AM Reply

At 10/7/12 02:58 AM, xxxcreep wrote: No, Its just that ALOT of people who died of AIDS/HIV back then were gay.

Back then. It was the 80's, 30 years ago. And it was way blown up, people were scared gays had std's more than most other people purely because they had more sex.

The CDC claims that they have conclusive evidence that gays are std ridden, but they never did any national tests, leaving the only other way for them to know that would be to look through medical files, which would be highly illegal

There's a reason no one takes the CDC seriously, the only time you hear about them is during those drug lawsuit commercials


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 03:20 AM Reply

At 10/7/12 02:52 AM, xxxcreep wrote: It takes 6-12 weeks for hiv antibodies to even show up on a blood test.
So if it's making everyone in the world safer from getting HIV or AIDS, then so be it.

Then maybe the questions should reflect that. Instead it says EVER IN YOUR LIFE AT ALL EVEN IF ONLY ONCE.
There's no reason for that, it's not relevant to the blood being HIV free.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Revo357912
Revo357912
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 04:37 AM Reply

Well, actually, it kinda makes sense to me. The reason guys use condoms is to not get a girl pregnant, but if your not doing a girl, why use condoms? Therefore, transmission of STD's would be more likely between homosexual men. But who knows, thats just my own logic. I think Gays should have equal rights and be able to give blood, or at the very least get tested for STD's before they give (everyone should), but Im kinda on board that its possible for them to have a higher chance for STD's and HIV.
I mean, if I was gay, I probably wouldn't use a condom as well.

Also, did anyone actually carefully read the OP's Topic?

"who are gay/bi not allowed to give bllod even if they have been tested to not give blood."

"who are gay/bi not allowed to give bllod even if they have been tested to not give blood."

"who are gay/bi not allowed to give bllodeven if they have been tested to not give blood."


BBS Signature
DigitalStrip
DigitalStrip
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Movie Buff
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 11:20 AM Reply

At 10/2/12 08:19 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: Give us a link OP, I have a sneaking suspicion your full of shit.

No its true dude because my school was doing a blood drive and one of the questions they ask was "have you had sex with a man in the past year" but they would only ask the guys idk if it applied to women to

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 11:50 AM Reply

I remember seeing a news story about this like a year ago. It may still be true, I don't know.


Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
ohbombuh
ohbombuh
  • Member since: Aug. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 12:24 PM Reply

At 10/7/12 02:44 AM, Xenomit wrote: I didn't get tested, and none of my friends (quite a few...) were tested
In fact, I've never met anyone who had any of their shit checked

So, you admit to having no first-hand evidence that HIV/AIDS isn't that common in gays? I don't really see how that helps your argument, but OK.

The CDC just uses a ballpark average from each state, and the number of people they check is so small that it should be illegal for them to do that stupid shit
Are you really so stupid that you're gonna blindly trust this shit?

If you're referring to your claim that they use too few people, then no. Even though I prefer small government and all that, I trust the CDC over your personal conviction that homosexuals' blood is pretty safe. I'd prefer to see some evidence that the samples are too small and hear exactly how big and varied you think they need to be.


The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature
GodOfVideoGames
GodOfVideoGames
  • Member since: Feb. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 12:39 PM Reply

That's because instead of bleeding normal blood like you and me they bleed a deadly corrosive acid.

That's how you know you've got a gay.

Gay people not allowed 2 give blood