New Topic Respond to this Topic
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:17 PM Reply

I like Pikmin 2 more than the first Pikmin game. The multiplayer in the 2nd game was awesome.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Fuoco
Fuoco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:21 PM Reply

Halo 2

Sakura's theme | Bunnykill 5
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 09:47 PM Reply

I think that The Force Unleashed had a much better sequel than the original, mostly because it pertains more to the story of Starkiller than addressing the plot of the Star Wars storyline.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:58 PM Reply

Odin Sphere is technically a sequel to a game never released in the states known as Princess Crown, so I am going to list Odin Sphere.

In some respects, I think Xenosaga Episode II did Xenosaga Episode I a lot of favors, while completely removing good points from the first game. Xenosaga II was fun and all, but it lacked a certain something the first one had. But hey, at least the battle system was better, the overall graphics improved, and the sound design in terms of music is somewhat more memorable than the first, even though they're pretty much on par with each other. I wish the story and voice acting received the same treatments.

Also, Saga Frontier II did the original a lot of favors by keeping it more linear and focused, as well making the overall feel of the game less cheap and forced you to rely on strategy and not just spamming the same JP, WP, MP attacks over and over again. If you found the right move in the original, you could spam it over and over and win in a flash. Not in Saga Frontier II. Oh no...This time, you were pressured to be more diverse with your tactics. I found myself increasing stats just as often as I used spells, melee attacks and healing, because the enemies were well balanced, at least from what I have played of it, and by that, I mean half of it. The sprites were also cleaner and more defined, and the spell effects were better, but the story...Not so much. I didn't understand it, but I kept playing because it was challenging. I was actually WAITING for boss fights and looking forward to losing in some instances.

Also, BlazBlue Continuum Shift included a lot of features that should have been in the first game. If BlazBlue Calamity Trigger had just come with challenge mode, and the same robust features in training mode, it would have revolutionized 2D fighters for all they're worth. EVERYONE would have been copying the formula and frankly, the game would have been more fun, had it just included tutorial and challenge mode.

Also Bleach: Dark Souls, despite being a Bleach fighting game, was really, really fun. For months on end, I would have that DS card in my card slot, because I wanted to unlock every character, get every gem, get every card, and master every character, which I found to be quite enjoyable actually. My favorite characters were the Captain General (his name escapes me at the moment), Kyoraku Shinsui, Ichigo Kurosaki, Soi Fon, Kisuke Urahara, Toshiro Hitsugaya, and Momo Hinamori, mainly for their play-styles. Each one had a unique mix of melee and projectile attacks and it made the experience much more fun. Soi Fon was easily my favorite out of all of those however, because of her speed and Level 3 super attack when landed twice. Instant KO'ing the opponent was AWESOME.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 01:06 AM Reply

At 10/2/12 05:12 PM, II2none wrote: Halo 2 (dead certain even though I never played the original)

Extremely arguable, in fact most would disagree.

At 10/2/12 03:26 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Kingdom Hearts 2

Also pretty arguable, I vote KH1

At 10/3/12 05:07 PM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: I can't believe I was the only one that said Half-Life 2!

You'll find that a lot actually prefer HL1, I'm playing through it and Black Mesa and I'm finding the facility much more enjoyable the many locations of HL2, it kinda makes it iconic imo.

At 10/3/12 11:58 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Also, BlazBlue Continuum Shift

That hardly counts, that's like comparing Street Fighter 4 and Super Street Fighter 4, it's more of an expansion then a sequel.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
weasleman
weasleman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Blank Slate
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 05:06 AM Reply

Tenchu 2.

my sig has fighters in it bitches

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 03:33 PM Reply

At 10/3/12 11:58 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Odin Sphere is technically a sequel to a game never released in the states known as Princess Crown, so I am going to list Odin Sphere.

Muramasa: the Demon Blade is a sort of spiritual successor to Odin Sphere, and I think it's better.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 06:11 PM Reply

At 10/4/12 01:06 AM, MintPaw wrote:
That hardly counts, that's like comparing Street Fighter 4 and Super Street Fighter 4, it's more of an expansion then a sequel.

BB Continuum shift was the sequel to BB:CT.

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.
For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 5th, 2012 @ 06:15 PM Reply

I could have named this thread "Games where first sequel is the best of the entire series" but you guys already get the idea.

Some other games:

Tiberian Sun (best of the C&C Tiberium series IMO)
Civilization 2 (haven't played the others)
Mechwarior 2 (ditto)

Ketzelkab
Ketzelkab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 5th, 2012 @ 09:57 PM Reply

Guild Wars 2...

Twitter | Soundcloud | Follow me?
Let's stalk each other on the interwebs!

Trapex
Trapex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Writer
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 6th, 2012 @ 11:30 PM Reply

inFAMOUS 2- story was much better then the first; the first one was just kind of lazy in my opinion. Melee was greatly enhanced with the introduction of the Amp. There's also the thing that actually makes karmic choices influential to the outcome of the game and the people around you (it did the same in inFAMOUS, but lacked the principle of giving you an endgame that was worthwhile). It also affected the overall combat of the game. You got different styles of the same power that really changes how you kill your enemies. Do you pick them off one at a time with headshots that also cause explosions and/or string to another opponent or do you range things out with a string of a lightning stretching wide enough to get up to three to four enemies at a time? There's just so many different possibilities (at least the ending was decent).

Uncharted 2- various weapons to be choosing from and it felt like game play was much more refined to a point that it felt so smooth. In the first Uncharted, it felt sketchy. It kind of felt like you weren't going to be in full control all of the time. And then there's Uncharted 3 which, while giving the original sequel a run for its money, felt more like a cinematic content rather than an actual game (let's be honest; we were all kind of thinking it). I liked that Naughty Dog went to such an extent to improve the graphics and introduce a story that was very memorable, but the game play didn't feel the same as Uncharted 2. They need to also focus on the core mechanics of it all rather than just making the environment appealing to the player.

Jak 2- a lot of hate went out for this game which I can't really understand why in the hell there was any at all! For starters, open world platformer =/= GTA, ladies and gentlemen; let's just get that clear. While I wish that some of the aspects of the original were kept (the different colors of Eco rather than just dark), the game was drastically improved. I'm happy that they gave Jak a voice. It's not really right if the protagonist for a game franchise doesn't have a voice, in my own opinion. Don't get me wrong, I like games even though some of the main characters are mutes, but I just prefer them to have a speaking voice. Anyway, visuals were improved greatly. They also gave such a challenge that it was really the first time I've ever actually rage-quit a video game (the third mission that Torn gave to get you into their organization was a bitch; then almost right after (in fact, I think it was) there was the delivery mission to Krew). While introducing gun fighting into the game, they actually made it fun instead of mediocre. I was kind of worried, but I'm glad that it happened in the end.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2- not a lot to say about this game. The core mechanics for a tag team based game were improved vastly over the original. I liked the giant lineup for fighters available. It was graphically amazing in its own right. There's not much else to say other than why in the hell some reviewers gave this a lower score than Street Fighter X Tekken. Unbelievable.

momijirabbit
momijirabbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 7th, 2012 @ 11:11 PM Reply

SSX 3
Sonic 2
CoD 2 ( the last good game)
Tony Hawk's Underground 2
Ratchet & Clank: Locked & Loaded
FFX-2 (I don't know why I like it more)
Uncharted 2

MOSTLY PLATFORMERS
AS IN NOT JAK 2 OR 3

Daxter was fun.

The Ledge

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 12:50 AM Reply

At 10/4/12 06:11 PM, DarkShadowblade wrote:
At 10/4/12 01:06 AM, MintPaw wrote:
BB Continuum shift was the sequel to BB:CT.

Yeah, I know, I own them both, the story persists, but it's a fighting game, my Taokaka same combos work in both games, I have to stare at the HUD to figure out which game I'm actually playing, wouldn't really call it a sequel.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 09:00 PM Reply

At 10/3/12 03:54 PM, sweet21 wrote:
At 10/3/12 08:45 AM, FallenMartyr wrote:
At 10/2/12 04:55 PM, sweet21 wrote:
Jak 2
C'mon man the original was a charming classic platformer, you can't tell me you enjoyed it when they went a 180 and GTA cloned the hell out of the series?
Thats it, thats fucking it, shut up shut up shut up. FUCKING SHUT UP.

Compelling argument thus far, this kind of opening really makes me value your opinion.

Open world =/= GTA. Fucking get that through your head RIGHT now.

When Jak II came out the GTA3 craze was in full swing, pull the blindfold off of your eyes and see that.

Jak and daxter was a series that got better every installment, Jak 3 in my opinion was the pinnacle of the Jak series.

No Crash Bandicoot was a series that got better with every installment. The jak series sold itself for mediocrity and to appeal to the Gta kids.

Jak 2 was still a platformer, it still had collectables, yes it had guns, but it also had super powers, a better story, and still kept the light hearted characters of the first while adding more badass characters later. It was more compelling than the first and had a cluster fuck more to do overall alright?

-Better story
-Kept light hearted characters
-More compelling

I can only laugh at this, did we play the same game?

It's my opinion, so fucking shut up. FUCK. >:(

Sorry champ, this is the internet and when you're wrong there is always going to be that one person to set you straight.

You guys remind me why this forum is so distasteful.

My apologies if I fuck up the quotes, am a little tipsy atm.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 09:08 PM Reply

Rise of the Kasai

Bushido Blade 2

Red Faction 2

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 09:09 PM Reply

At 10/3/12 09:24 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
People are allowed have their opinions, so you can stop attacking everyone for disagreeing with you. It makes you come off as an intolerable cunt.

-Attacking

lol

this guy

BBS Signature
POTaTOS
POTaTOS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 09:56 PM Reply

At 10/3/12 04:02 PM, sweet21 wrote:
At 10/3/12 03:57 PM, Skaren wrote:
At 10/3/12 03:54 PM, sweet21 wrote: It's my opinion, so fucking shut up. FUCK. >:(
What about that PSP game "Dax?"
dax
dax
DAX
Shut your dirty whore mouth.

Dax was much better than Secret Agent Clank, at least.
Ugh.

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 8th, 2012 @ 10:59 PM Reply

Ugh.

Daxter is a PSP classic in my book.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 08:22 PM Reply

At 10/8/12 11:00 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 10/8/12 09:09 PM, FallenMartyr wrote: -Attacking

lol

this guy
At least I can respond in a complete sentence.

You're not worth my time mate.

BBS Signature
momijirabbit
momijirabbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 08:19 PM Reply

At 10/8/12 10:59 PM, II2none wrote:

Ugh.

Was my first PSP game.

The Ledge

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 08:29 PM Reply

At 10/10/12 08:19 PM, momijirabbit wrote:
At 10/8/12 10:59 PM, II2none wrote:

Ugh.
Was my first PSP game.

My third, Coded Arms was my first and Burnout legends was my second

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
robotking98
robotking98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 08:56 PM Reply

At 10/2/12 06:47 PM, sweet21 wrote:
At 10/2/12 06:07 PM, POTaTOS wrote: No mention of inFAMOUS 2? Fuck you guys.
Thats one!

I agree, inFAMOUS 2 was a great improvement on the first.

Seriously, who even reads these things anymore?

BBS Signature
Corpus-Delicti
Corpus-Delicti
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Games where first sequel > original Oct. 11th, 2012 @ 03:12 AM Reply

Halo 2
Saints Row 2
Bad Company 2
Hat Simulator 2
New Vegas
Red Dead Redemption
Portal 2
Just Cause 2
Borderlands 2 (Haven't played either, but BL2 looks much better)
NFS Underground 2
Battlefield 2