New Topic Respond to this Topic
rerun-matt
rerun-matt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
as2 quiz job - paid work. 2012-10-02 07:36:00 Reply

Ok, first up, apologies for making another topic so soon but this is quite urgent. I have a quiz that I got someone to code for me, it needs some small changes but the guy that coded it for me has just disappeared.

The quiz at the moment has radio buttons you select and if you get it right a tick appears or wrong a cross appears. We now need it to have a a cross if you get it wrong and a "try again" untill they get it right.

Just need a good understanding of as2.

Please contact me asap.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to as2 quiz job - paid work. 2012-10-02 07:49:39 Reply

Okay, I'll take it.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to as2 quiz job - paid work. 2012-10-02 07:50:27 Reply

At 10/2/12 07:36 AM, rerun-matt wrote: Just need a good understanding of as2.

it could be done in an hour or two in almost any programming language. Broaden your scope to AS3 as well.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
rerun-matt
rerun-matt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to as2 quiz job - paid work. 2012-10-02 07:55:21 Reply

At 10/2/12 07:50 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 10/2/12 07:36 AM, rerun-matt wrote: Just need a good understanding of as2.
it could be done in an hour or two in almost any programming language. Broaden your scope to AS3 as well.

it needs to be as2 as thats what the whole thing has been coded in already.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to as2 quiz job - paid work. 2012-10-02 07:58:30 Reply

At 10/2/12 07:55 AM, rerun-matt wrote: it needs to be as2 as thats what the whole thing has been coded in already.

is this part of a bigger compilation or is it just a little quiz?

Because if it's a simple little quiz like the one you described, then any programmer with some good experience in their language can code that from cold to done in a matter of hours.

BBS Signature
Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to as2 quiz job - paid work. 2012-10-02 08:09:56 Reply

At 10/2/12 07:58 AM, egg82 wrote: Because if it's a simple little quiz like the one you described, then any programmer with some good experience in their language can code that from cold to done in a matter of hours.

I'm imagining a bloated, badly coded quiz with all the questions hard coded in there in one big class (or maybe even a big streak of frames lol).
Anyway you don't know how the current quiz is implemented and depending on that it may take more time to adjust every little detail, on the other hand it may take a long time to make any sense out of the current code, which is why this job would suck.

rerun-matt
rerun-matt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to as2 quiz job - paid work. 2012-10-02 08:21:24 Reply

At 10/2/12 07:58 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 10/2/12 07:55 AM, rerun-matt wrote: it needs to be as2 as thats what the whole thing has been coded in already.
is this part of a bigger compilation or is it just a little quiz?

Because if it's a simple little quiz like the one you described, then any programmer with some good experience in their language can code that from cold to done in a matter of hours.

Its a small element at the end of a presentation, so like I said it is all done in AS2. I have contacted Gimmick and hopefully this should now get done.

If anyone else is interested please pm me just incase i need any further stuff doing.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to as2 quiz job - paid work. 2012-10-02 08:26:06 Reply

At 10/2/12 08:09 AM, Sandremss128 wrote: I'm imagining a bloated, badly coded quiz with all the questions hard coded in there in one big class (or maybe even a big streak of frames lol).
Anyway you don't know how the current quiz is implemented and depending on that it may take more time to adjust every little detail, on the other hand it may take a long time to make any sense out of the current code, which is why this job would suck.

What's a class? (imitating your average AS2 coder, which was me as well)

I was actually asking all those questions to help in the future.

Anyway, OP's problem is solved for the moment, and my questions were answered, so I say this is a job well done :P (and I haven't even finished coffee yet!)

BBS Signature
Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to as2 quiz job - paid work. 2012-10-02 09:12:11 Reply

At 10/2/12 08:21 AM, rerun-matt wrote: If anyone else is interested please pm me just incase i need any further stuff doing.

I didn't disappear Matt. Drop me a PM.

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to as2 quiz job - paid work. 2012-10-02 09:21:54 Reply

At 10/2/12 08:26 AM, egg82 wrote: What's a class? (imitating your average AS2 coder, which was me as well)
At 10/2/12 07:58 AM, egg82 wrote: Because if it's a simple little quiz like the one you described, then any programmer with some good experience in their language can code that from cold to done in a matter of hours.
At 10/2/12 08:09 AM, Sandremss128 wrote: I'm imagining a bloated, badly coded quiz with all the questions hard coded in there in one big class (or maybe even a big streak of frames lol).

I'd just like to mention that you're missing the point completely. When you work in freelance design, it's perfectly acceptable to suggest changes to the brief you've received but you're always working in limitation to the person who hired you. In this case, the limitation was AS2 and another criteria was allowing the client to easily add questions. You then also have to take into account payment and workload. It's all good and well if you're programming it for a hobby - spend a few hours writing a really nice quiz game. But at the end, there's a faster route to meeting the criteria which, saves you time to do other things and means the person you're working for doesn't have to fork out as much money.

rerun-matt
rerun-matt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to as2 quiz job - paid work. 2012-10-02 09:52:32 Reply

What sam said.

and is that you sam? what happened to your facebook page :(
this is all sorted now btw.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to as2 quiz job - paid work. 2012-10-02 15:18:11 Reply

At 10/2/12 09:21 AM, Sam wrote: I'd just like to mention that you're missing the point completely.

it's all fine, I was mostly just curious as to why it needed to be in AS2, and questioned whether it could have been done in AS3 because most people here could (and probably would) just pop something like that out in an hour or two if they were bored and had the time.

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to as2 quiz job - paid work. 2012-10-02 17:42:57 Reply

Yeah, 95% of people worth their salt use AS3, I would've done it in AS3, just remember you're severely limiting who'll work on it if you limit your languages.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature