00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

UnknownDegenerate just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fez and nostalgia

1,313 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Fez and nostalgia 2012-09-30 17:09:16

Not sure if anyone's played Fez yet, but, for those who have, did you get a sense of nostalgia playing the game?

Not even in the context of video games, but life. Fez reminded me of being a kid again. The game is beautiful, the puzzles are awesome and the entire game is exploration. That's it. FInding those cubes. And when he finds enough, Gomez floats smiling above the ground, the cube shines, and there's this urge to simply smile.

The music is gorgeous as well. These almost-melancholic arpeggios of 8-bit musical notes shape the game into nostalgia.

It's like innocence. It's like that's what it sells. A sense of innocence and young wonder.

It's a breath of fresh air from Gears of War and MW3. I love these games, but sometimes I just want to relax and drift away.

Anyone have thoughts about this game?

Fez and nostalgia

Response to Fez and nostalgia 2012-09-30 19:19:53

Fez is far from nostalgic, the graphics are nowhere near the "retro" standard of games such as Super Metroid and Gunstar Heroes, from a graphical viewpoint it falls into the category of "lazy indie developer trying to mimic a "retro" graphic style, which really needs to stop. There's an over-abundance of indie games with faux 16-bit graphics, and quite frankly it starts to get annoying when really, very few developers manage to get the look that they're trying so desperately hard to emulate.

The music however is really something else, as you said it's just simply gorgeous, and is actually something that you can listen to outside of the game and not feel any sort of shame or what have you when listening to other video game OSTs.

Despite me ragging on the graphic style, Fez was probably one of my favorite games of this year.

Response to Fez and nostalgia 2012-10-01 12:21:35

At 9/30/12 05:09 PM, theacronyms wrote: Not sure if anyone's played Fez yet, but, for those who have, did you get a sense of nostalgia playing the game?

Never even heard of it but guess i should atleast check it out, it kind of sounds interesting.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Fez and nostalgia 2012-10-01 13:05:41

There's nothing nostalgic or retro about Fez. The music isn't 8-bit either, nor are the graphics. I think there should be a new word for the pixel art style indie artists use. Because "retro" isn't it.

Fez and nostalgia

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Fez and nostalgia 2012-10-02 19:49:55

Never heard of the game before you mentioned it, so thanks for that. Looking at it, it seems like a fun game. I don't have an xbox, so I will probably not get to experience it.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Response to Fez and nostalgia 2012-10-03 21:51:38