New Topic Respond to this Topic
Numadon
Numadon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Making my first animation in Flash 2012-09-29 23:28:19 Reply

I just got Adobe Flash Cs6 and i am going to start making animations in it...i need tips on useful things to do while making the animation like how to keep all of my lines clean, whenever i draw with my tablet i have to do a sketchy thing where i draw a bunch of lines to make one and it doesn't look good. I really want to do this and and advice would be appreciated

djDurgyDurg
djDurgyDurg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Making my first animation in Flash 2012-09-30 17:28:08 Reply

At 9/29/12 11:28 PM, Numadon wrote: I just got Adobe Flash Cs6 and i am going to start making animations in it...i need tips on useful things to do while making the animation like how to keep all of my lines clean, whenever i draw with my tablet i have to do a sketchy thing where i draw a bunch of lines to make one and it doesn't look good. I really want to do this and and advice would be appreciated

Maybe sketch and do your contour lines, then make a new layer, and draw over it using onion skin. but that would take forever. practice practice practice.

-durgy

WhiteLightning
WhiteLightning
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Filmmaker
Response to Making my first animation in Flash 2012-10-01 16:13:03 Reply

At 9/29/12 11:28 PM, Numadon wrote: I just got Adobe Flash Cs6 and i am going to start making animations in it...i need tips on useful things to do while making the animation like how to keep all of my lines clean, whenever i draw with my tablet i have to do a sketchy thing where i draw a bunch of lines to make one and it doesn't look good. I really want to do this and and advice would be appreciated

Hi Numadon!

I'd be happy to give you some suggestions! Bear in mind, of course, that these things are just what I personally prefer, and you can always do something different if it fits your style better.

First off, it helps tremendously to make an animatic first. This is basically what you're already doing. Make one layer and, with a light gray brush, just sketch the crap out of your idea. Don't worry about details too much; you're basically just drawing pictures of each major scene or point of movement in order, concentrating on the timing. This will help you know exactly where everything in the scene will be, which order they'll be in, and how many frames they'll tak, and will save you a lot of drawing later. Once you do the actual animation, you can just delete the guide.

Once you get to actually drawing the lines, it depends on your style. I've seen some really good videos using pretty sketchy line work, but if you prefer something smoother, the first thing to know is that you're going to be wearing out the ctrl and z keys on your keyboard pretty fast. I've been using Flash for a few years now, and I still undo and redraw each line a good 10 times. Flash uses an auto-smoothing feature to give you that nice flash-y look that we all know and love, and it takes some getting used to, but with practice it will come to feel more natural.

If you want any more details on those points or have any more questions, please feel free to ask :)

BBS Signature
MistyEntertainment
MistyEntertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to Making my first animation in Flash 2012-10-04 00:58:06 Reply

if you have a pressure-sensitive tablet, flash should have a "use air pressure" tool when you try to use the brush tool. some animators have this and some don't. if you do have it though, it's very helpful for smooth line quality.

i have to do a sketchy thing where i draw a bunch of lines to make one and it doesn't look good

i'd recommend using the eraser tool and taking your time to do an effective clean-up. try not to rush it unless you really need to. if you want a really smooth, nice take then you might want to keep ctrl+z in mind which basically undos whatever you did.

hope that helped!

Carr77
Carr77
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Making my first animation in Flash 2012-10-04 08:09:03 Reply

Use brush with a lot of "smooth" on it if you want cool clean lines. If something looks unclean, just select it and press the "smooth" button :)

Check out my flash animations, and games. I've also made some bad music, and art ;)