New Topic Respond to this Topic
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 01:33 PM Reply

Saw The Village today. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. The twist was pretty unexpected in my book and I liked the love story it told.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 03:21 PM Reply

I watched Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 last night. The first one was good, but this one...meh.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 03:42 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 03:21 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 last night. The first one was good, but this one...meh.

I think it's okay. I like that Zombie tried to take the characters to places we haven't seen before, but it really doesn't amount to much in the end.

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 04:38 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 03:42 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
At 10/9/12 03:21 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 last night. The first one was good, but this one...meh.
I think it's okay. I like that Zombie tried to take the characters to places we haven't seen before, but it really doesn't amount to much in the end.

What I didn't like about that was that Mike Myers was never supposed to be taken to those places. He's evil. Dr. Loomis said it himself. 7 years trying to reach him, 8 years trying to keep him locked up. That one line makes the first half of Zombie's movie. He's an evil guy trying to kill people. How much more do you need?

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 04:50 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 04:38 PM, stafffighter wrote:

What I didn't like about that was that Mike Myers was never supposed to be taken to those places. He's evil. Dr. Loomis said it himself. 7 years trying to reach him, 8 years trying to keep him locked up. That one line makes the first half of Zombie's movie. He's an evil guy trying to kill people. How much more do you need?

Well, I think the first movie established that this Michael was a totally different entity from the original Michael, so I wasn't really bothered by the changes to his character.

I thought the changes to Dr. Loomis were kind of interesting, but again, didn't really seem to matter much in the end.

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 06:40 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 04:50 PM, Darthdenim wrote:

Well, I think the first movie established that this Michael was a totally different entity from the original Michael, so I wasn't really bothered by the changes to his character.

I thought the changes to Dr. Loomis were kind of interesting, but again, didn't really seem to matter much in the end.

I didn't like the changes to either character. You're just as right thinking your way as I am. Turning Dr. Loomis from a dedicated and intelligent man who who's willing to do what it takes to a talk show guest kind of threw me.
I remember one scene bothered me and and it falls into the same hole where a lot of prequel/remakes do, explaining EVERYTHING. Like the scene where Loomis bought the gun. People have guns. We know you get them at gun stores. It was clearly a situation where someone who had a gun would bring it. This does not need to be spelled out for us.
And don't even get me started on what they did to Laurie. I kept wanting Jamie Lee Curtis to come out and slap her.

Anyway, yesterdays movie was Ghosts of mars. Accepting it as a zombie/mass possession movie that happens to be in space, it's ok. I trust John Carpenter. Tonight I'll be watching the cabinet of dr. caligory off of this list.

http://blastr.com/2012/10/nosferatu-13-more-terrify.php

Not only is it free, but it's a history lesson for horror fans. Plus they don't tend to be long.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 09:39 PM Reply

Saw Don't Be Afraid of the dark (2011). Christ, it was pretty damn bad. It kinda reminded me of smaller and less harmful Gremlins. Honestly, I had high hopes with Del Toro, but it just seemed like recycled ideas and somewhat recycled plots to make the movie. The monsters were REALLY tame and kinda made me upset with that being the major terror.

THe original one was superior.

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.
For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 9th, 2012 @ 11:14 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 09:39 PM, DarkShadowblade wrote: I had high hopes with Del Toro

Well, he didn't direct it. I'm pretty sure he only co wrote it, and was one of several producers. It was directed by someone new to directing.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 12:56 AM Reply

Tonight I watched The Reptile, a 1966 film from Hammer Studios.

After a man dies of mysterious circumstances, his brother and his wife move into his old house. He soon learns that his brother died of something the locals call "The Black Death", which strongly resembles what happens when one is bitten by a cobra. Is the standoffish Doctor across the moor hiding something?

Probably not one of Hammer's best, but still quite good. It has all the spooky, gothic scenery you would expect from Hammer.

I thought the ending was a bit rushed, which is my only complaint.

Flawed, but good.

I give it 7 out of ten.

I give it 6.5 out of ten.

chiefindomer
chiefindomer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 04:30 AM Reply

Monday I watched Slither and it was great. The combination of gore and humor made this one a very fun watch. I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be the best first time view on my list. If you haven't seen it yet, I definitely recommend this one. Yesterday I watched From a Whisper to a Scream and it was a decent horror anthology, not great though.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 05:33 AM Reply

I watched Piranha.

lol that was entertaining.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 04:50 PM Reply

At 10/9/12 11:14 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 10/9/12 09:39 PM, DarkShadowblade wrote: I had high hopes with Del Toro
Well, he didn't direct it. I'm pretty sure he only co wrote it, and was one of several producers. It was directed by someone new to directing.

Yeah you're right. I swear I thought i saw Del Toro being credited as director in the credits though. Also hated the fact that the environments were reused. I swear I saw that same exact fountain and that same exact courtyard in Pan's Labyrinth.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 06:56 PM Reply

At 10/10/12 04:30 AM, chiefindomer wrote: Monday I watched Slither and it was great. The combination of gore and humor made this one a very fun watch. I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be the best first time view on my list. If you haven't seen it yet, I definitely recommend this one. Yesterday I watched From a Whisper to a Scream and it was a decent horror anthology, not great though.

I remember going to see Slither, and we were the only people in the theater. Shame.

Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 07:02 PM Reply

I wished I could have gone on board with this, but even if I did I don't have the time.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 07:04 PM Reply

Today a watched a movie from 1980 called Without Warning.

About four friends who drive up to a secluded lake to hike and have fun, but wind up on the stalking grounds of an extraterrestrial who's come to hunt humans for sport.

It's kind of a precursor to Predator in that way, the alien is even played by Kevin Peter Hall, who would later play the Predator.

The movie features David Caruso in an early role. It also stars Jack Palance as a hunter, and Martin Landau as a crazed veteran, who proves to be nearly as big a threat to the kids as the alien. Palance and Landau would later both play escaped mental patients in the 1982 horror flick "Alone in the Dark."

The movie has good atmosphere, and Palance and Landau give good performances, but the films really drags in spots. A lot of the time you're just waiting for something to happen.

Still, I had fun watching it.

I give it a 6 out of 10.

Very flawed, but fun early eighties horror.

DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 10:12 PM Reply

Just finished The Devil's Playground.

It was a decent movie and seemed to be something of the spiritual successor of 28 Weeks Later, while paying homage to the Dawn of the Dead Remake. I'm not going to spoil it for those who are going to watch it, but keep that in mind.

Also, for the zombies it seems that they just picked up every free runner/Parkour runner in Britian and gave them some makeup and told them to chase people. At times, the chasing seems cool as hell, but at others it seems completely unecessary (at one point zombies rather do cool tricks rather then taking the direct way to get to the humans).

My BIGGEST problem with the movie was that the audio and sound was much louder then the actors. At times, you couldn't even hear the actors over the soundtrack, which along with their British accents, made it somewhat hard of a watch.

Pretty solid movie, liked the fact that they payed so much homage to other great zombie films.

BBS Signature
DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 10:25 PM Reply

Also, I forgot to add. The plot for the movie and reason for the Infection is downright one of the worst things that someone ever wrote. Common sense and just common knowledge of legality don't even come into play in the reasoning for the Infection.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 10:51 PM Reply

Watched Romero's Night of the Living Dead tonight. Pretty interesting flick. I loved how this cheap B flick spawned an entire genre of film. The fact that the punches looked so fake and that the thing was from 1968 in black and white really solidified its cult classic status. Really glad I watched it, though.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 10:57 PM Reply

At 10/10/12 10:51 PM, ZJ wrote: Watched Romero's Night of the Living Dead tonight. Pretty interesting flick. I loved how this cheap B flick spawned an entire genre of film. The fact that the punches looked so fake and that the thing was from 1968 in black and white really solidified its cult classic status. Really glad I watched it, though.

Night of the living Dead is my favorite film of all time. I really loved the large amounts of chemistry between Ben and Cooper along with Barbra. The ending was great, the movie was actually HAUNTING and the soundtrack was very tense.

NOTLD held nothing back, Romero took the film as far as he could with the budget he had.

Unfortunately for me, this year's 31 Days of Horror, I'm challenging myself to watch 31 completely new horror movies that I haven't seen before (hence why I'm watching movies from Netflix), so I'm unable to watch it again.

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 10th, 2012 @ 11:34 PM Reply

At 10/10/12 10:57 PM, DarkShadowblade wrote:

Unfortunately for me, this year's 31 Days of Horror, I'm challenging myself to watch 31 completely new horror movies that I haven't seen before (hence why I'm watching movies from Netflix), so I'm unable to watch it again.

I'm doing the same, which is why tonight I'm watching vampires: los muertes. So far it isn't as good as the original but it's clearly the same world and Jon Bon Jovi has enough rock star swagger that I believe him pulling a trigger. As a Metallica fan that hurt to say.
Last night was cabinet of dr. calgari. For as old a movie as it is it wasn't bad. I like that the characters were smart. I guess stupid slasher victims hadn't been invented yet.As a plus, I'd be suprised if Morphius from Sandman didn't have some design influence from this movie.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 11th, 2012 @ 01:05 PM Reply

At 10/10/12 10:57 PM, DarkShadowblade wrote: I'm challenging myself to watch 31 completely new horror movies that I haven't seen before

ditto

My movie last night was Near Dark, which was pretty good.

So, this is what my first ten nights were.

Rob Zombie's Halloween (good)
Land of the Dead (unlike most people, I liked it)
Severance (good)
Return of the Living Dead (good)
AAH! ZOMBIES!! (good)
Doghouse (okay)
30 Days of Night (awesome!)
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 (meh)
Piranha (good)
Near Dark (good)

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 11th, 2012 @ 02:21 PM Reply

Today I watched a 1981 movie called The Loch Ness Horror.

Some divers find Nessie's underwater lair and steal her egg, and Nessie goes on a murderous rampage.

Not very good. The scottish accents are hilariously stereotypical, and Nessie is represented by an incredibly stiff, plastic looking head. Feast your eyes.

There's a subplot about the military trying to locate a sunken german bomber plane in the loch that doesn't add jack shit to the movie. All leading up to a thrilling anti-climax.

I give it 4 out of 10, and I'm being generous.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 11th, 2012 @ 02:57 PM Reply

I don't know which year it was (maybe 2008?) where James Rolfe did something on Cinemassacre where he reviewed a horror movie once a day for October. Doug Walker admitted to ripping off that idea when he did Disneycember last year. Anyway, Linkara did the exact same thing, only instead he started reviewing a horror comic every day since the first of October under some new character. Too bad I didn't catch it when it first came out.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

BizzarroPMP
BizzarroPMP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 11th, 2012 @ 03:01 PM Reply

Tried to watch land of the dead.

Didn't make it through the first half hour.

Zeppelyn: Since when does the bladder control the "poo poo"?
convict357: Um, you mean you f*ck chickens, turkeys are male chickens.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 11th, 2012 @ 03:11 PM Reply

At 10/11/12 02:57 PM, Ericho wrote: I don't know which year it was (maybe 2008?) where James Rolfe did something on Cinemassacre where he reviewed a horror movie once a day for October. Doug Walker admitted to ripping off that idea when he did Disneycember last year. Anyway, Linkara did the exact same thing, only instead he started reviewing a horror comic every day since the first of October under some new character. Too bad I didn't catch it when it first came out.

Rolfe didn't just do that once. He's done it every year since 2007.

Just today he reviewed the Toxic Avenger for Monster Madness 80's-A-Thon.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 11th, 2012 @ 04:32 PM Reply

Psst!

Click my sig. Trust me.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 11th, 2012 @ 05:14 PM Reply

At 10/11/12 03:11 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
At 10/11/12 02:57 PM, Ericho wrote: I don't know which year it was (maybe 2008?) where James Rolfe did something on Cinemassacre where he reviewed a horror movie once a day for October. Doug Walker admitted to ripping off that idea when he did Disneycember last year. Anyway, Linkara did the exact same thing, only instead he started reviewing a horror comic every day since the first of October under some new character. Too bad I didn't catch it when it first came out.
Rolfe didn't just do that once. He's done it every year since 2007.

I love those. Like one year he did classics, then schlock, then Godzilla. Monster Madness has been part of the resurrgence of Halloween the last few years and I couldn't enjoy it more.
Also, longbox of the damned episodes are only like 5 minutes long so catching up shouldn't be too hard. Last night on their site they had maven of the eveningtide review and rip into 30 days of night. I don't know if it was just in character that she was hating on it but I got mad.

BBS Signature
DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 11th, 2012 @ 06:08 PM Reply

People consider Toxic Avenger to be a horror movie? I consider it if anything a black comedy.

Great movie none the less, I love me some Tromafilms

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 11th, 2012 @ 10:02 PM Reply

I just watched thinner on AMC. Stephen King movies seem to be hit and miss and this one was more of a miss. The story and ideas were great, so were the make up effects, but the acting was all over the place.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2012! Oct. 11th, 2012 @ 10:21 PM Reply

At 10/11/12 10:02 PM, stafffighter wrote: I just watched thinner on AMC. Stephen King movies seem to be hit and miss and this one was more of a miss. The story and ideas were great, so were the make up effects, but the acting was all over the place.

Joe Mantegna was awesome though.