New Topic Respond to this Topic
EagleGuard
EagleGuard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Getting Your Music Heard Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:43 AM Reply

At 10/22/12 08:43 AM, Thief1337 wrote: The will is stronger than the skill. If you contact the right people, your voice will be heard.

Which is basically the problem with music these days (if I may use populist terms). The Audio Portal is not just simply for sharing your music with the world, but is also a means to get constructive criticism from peers: people who make music themselves or are generally interested in your kind of music. It's not about getting more hits per se, but about everyone getting a fair chance to get some decent feedback. That's why improving the community is such an important factor, and why improving the Audio Portal can help to achieve that goal. I would gladly support the idea of an active community, if people were to put some effort in it themselves. It's time to change the free for all thinking into team based thinking.

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Getting Your Music Heard Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 04:32 PM Reply

At 10/21/12 04:11 PM, bearskin wrote: Updated. What do you think of this concept: signup.hipstring.me

Error-free this time. Sorry for the rude reply. I'm just not the guy who goes easy with security, especially web app.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
Thief1337
Thief1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Getting Your Music Heard Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:26 PM Reply

At 10/22/12 09:43 AM, EagleGuard wrote: The Audio Portal is not just simply for sharing your music with the world, but is also a means to get constructive criticism from peers: people who make music themselves or are generally interested in your kind of music.

Constructive criticism from an artist always depend on his vision, taste and feel about all type of music.

There's so much of the same stuff on NewGrounds, it's very hard to actually get constructive criticism because it's the same shit over and over again.

I try as much as possible to provide constructive criticism, but I get tired of it 'cuz all I hear is the same shit over and over again. It's made by so many different people, too... and since that pretty huge amount of people seek for the same sound, they will not tend to look anywhere else for something else. Rarely.

And you can't provide constructive criticism if you don't know much about music. And I mean MUSIC (everything about music, as far as you can go). If people seek for the same sound all the time, it certainly creates a limitation. They can't walk on a different landscape if they don't try to get out of the same, safe path they're following. You have to go into the deep forest and discover your landscapes through different exits, and that's not always the "safe way". That adventure has to speak through your music, and that will certainly create a different sound (naturally).

Unfortunately, after all those years I'm on NewGrounds, I didn't find much of that... so you can't really expect much constructive criticism, sadly.

Yet, I try my best to provide it.

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious." - Carl Gustav Jung
Native Instruments' Komplete 8 for free !

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Getting Your Music Heard Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:35 PM Reply

At 10/22/12 06:26 PM, Thief1337 wrote:If people seek for the same sound all the time, it certainly creates a limitation. They can't walk on a different landscape if they don't try to get out of the same, safe path they're following. You have to go into the deep forest and discover your landscapes through different exits, and that's not always the "safe way".

If you bash entire genres of electronic music as not being real music in your song descriptions, you sound like a giant hypocrite.

Thief1337
Thief1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Getting Your Music Heard Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:56 PM Reply

At 10/22/12 07:35 PM, Blackhole12 wrote:
At 10/22/12 06:26 PM, Thief1337 wrote:If people seek for the same sound all the time, it certainly creates a limitation. They can't walk on a different landscape if they don't try to get out of the same, safe path they're following. You have to go into the deep forest and discover your landscapes through different exits, and that's not always the "safe way".
If you bash entire genres of electronic music as not being real music in your song descriptions, you sound like a giant hypocrite.

Haha. Youfail to understand the distinction between originality and orthodoxy.

I don't mind about any type of music as long as there's diversity and creativity involved. However, if it's the same thing composed over and over, the same sound over and over, there's definitely a problem.

u mad bro

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious." - Carl Gustav Jung
Native Instruments' Komplete 8 for free !

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Getting Your Music Heard Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:29 PM Reply

Yo guys, take some chill pills. It doesn't matter what method you guys wanna approach, as long as they work.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Getting Your Music Heard Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:26 PM Reply

At 10/22/12 07:56 PM, Thief1337 wrote: Haha. You fail to understand the distinction between originality and orthodoxy.

Then you should really make this clear when you are criticizing things.