Ragnarokia
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 08:50 AM Reply

At 9/29/12 08:10 AM, BumFodder wrote:
At 9/29/12 08:07 AM, HydraTundra wrote: Jokingly got in a relationship with a girl on Facebook before..... And..Well.. Ever have someone try to pray the gay off of you?
Whoever tries to pray the gay out of someone is fucking insane.

That would be amusing but I don't think it has happened to me yet, usually people tend to try and beat the gay out instead.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
robotking98
robotking98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 08:54 AM Reply

I simply don't do it, the people who I'm around know very well that I'm an atheist, and know that if they take me somewhere where I'm expected to pray for something, it's not going to happen.
If they actually expect me to, I remind them that I'm an atheist and if they have a problem with it to say so, but I simply will not pray.

Seriously, who even reads these things anymore?

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:01 AM Reply

At 9/29/12 08:54 AM, robotking98 wrote: I simply don't do it, the people who I'm around know very well that I'm an atheist, and know that if they take me somewhere where I'm expected to pray for something, it's not going to happen.
If they actually expect me to, I remind them that I'm an atheist and if they have a problem with it to say so, but I simply will not pray.

So a close friend looses their family in a terrible accident and they plead with you to pray for their souls with them, you would insist you refuse to and leave them alone at such a painful time?

You're a cunt.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:03 AM Reply

At 9/29/12 09:01 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: So a close friend looses their family in a terrible accident and they plead with you to pray for their souls with them, you would insist you refuse to and leave them alone at such a painful time?

I see where he is coming from. Why should he have to pray. To keep the loved one in his thoughts and to honor his memory is not enough, he has to pray. It would seem insulting for him to pray for them when he doesn't believe in prayer.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Mizzjuicyflava
Mizzjuicyflava
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Reader
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:04 AM Reply

Usually I'm the one praying. Sometimes my friends either keep talking or be quiet. Out of respect. Sometimes I pray in private before I go to a gathering out of respect for them.

HEY BOO!!!

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:15 AM Reply

At 9/29/12 09:03 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 9/29/12 09:01 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: So a close friend looses their family in a terrible accident and they plead with you to pray for their souls with them, you would insist you refuse to and leave them alone at such a painful time?
I see where he is coming from. Why should he have to pray. To keep the loved one in his thoughts and to honor his memory is not enough, he has to pray. It would seem insulting for him to pray for them when he doesn't believe in prayer.

It isn't praying for religious reasons, it is a show of respect and comfort to the other as they know you don't believe in their religion so they will know you are praying for his family. A prayer isn't just a religious thing, it is a show of hope and care. If you were so like minded you might even say an Atheists prayer is the most caring of all, as there is no God involved, only the desire to hope for the subject of the prayers' happiness.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:19 AM Reply

At 9/29/12 09:15 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: It isn't praying for religious reasons, it is a show of respect and comfort to the other as they know you don't believe in their religion so they will know you are praying for his family. A prayer isn't just a religious thing, it is a show of hope and care. If you were so like minded you might even say an Atheists prayer is the most caring of all, as there is no God involved, only the desire to hope for the subject of the prayers' happiness.

I'm a bit confused there on how an atheists prayer works. Seeing how an atheist doesn't pray to a God. I don't know, I find it more respectful to just honor the memory of the person or to try and be there for them instead of just praying for them.

BBS Signature
Thimbles
Thimbles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:23 AM Reply

When I'm stuck in the middle of a group prayer, I stay silent out of respect but don't do anything else differently. Usually look around the room or do whatever I was doing as long as it doesn't disturb the peace.

In every instance, though, as you're looking around you'll make contact with two different types of people. The first type, fellow atheists. You make eye contact and you give each-other the nod and grin that says "mah brotha" (for lack of a better word on these forums)

The second type is the person apart of the prayer group that looks around from behind clasped hands to see who's not praying. Once they spot a target, they stare disapprovingly and shake their head in disappointment. This is the type that you mouth "fuck you" to in an over exaggerated manner.

I hope that answers your question in a satisfactory manner.

\ \ \- - - - - - - - - -/ / / 1 \ \ \-|||-/ / / 2 \ \ \- - - - - - - - - -/ / /

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:26 AM Reply

At 9/29/12 09:19 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 9/29/12 09:15 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: It isn't praying for religious reasons, it is a show of respect and comfort to the other as they know you don't believe in their religion so they will know you are praying for his family. A prayer isn't just a religious thing, it is a show of hope and care. If you were so like minded you might even say an Atheists prayer is the most caring of all, as there is no God involved, only the desire to hope for the subject of the prayers' happiness.
I'm a bit confused there on how an atheists prayer works. Seeing how an atheist doesn't pray to a God. I don't know, I find it more respectful to just honor the memory of the person or to try and be there for them instead of just praying for them.

I'm not saying you get down on your knees and start quoting scriptures from the bible, or wash your hands and feet etc. and face towards Meca on a rug. But you would just join and and pray for them, kneel down next to your friend and silently wish prayers for them, praying that they find happiness in the afterlife they believe in, if Christian pray for them being let into Heaven and living their eternity of happiness. Things like that.

Some might say "well whats the difference of that and just bowing your head" but those are clearly idiotic, as what would bowing your head in silence really do, you would just be wondering "how long do I have to keep this up" or similar, how exactly is that a prayer?

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:29 AM Reply

I pretty much just pray with them, as a sign of respect to their religion and the God they believe in.

Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:31 AM Reply

At 9/29/12 09:26 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Some might say "well whats the difference of that and just bowing your head" but those are clearly idiotic, as what would bowing your head in silence really do, you would just be wondering "how long do I have to keep this up" or similar, how exactly is that a prayer?

So someone who is bowing their head in respect of silence or doing nothing at all and simply honoring the memory or hoping for the better for someone else in your eyes is an asshole atheist who is just there wondering "how long do I have to keep this up".

Prayer is praying to a god. Atheists do not believe in a god or in prayer, so why not simply respect the moment of silence to so others may keep them in their prayers and thoughts? I love you Ragnarokia, you're one of the nicest people on here so it makes me wonder how you're trying to connect these two here?

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:37 AM Reply

At 9/28/12 11:05 PM, Sensationalism wrote: When people are praying and you are of a different religion or no religion, what do you do? Do you join in and pray with them? Appear to be praying while not actually thinking about what they are saying? Do whatever you want while they do that crap?

I've been in Christian churches, when people have prayed and have allowed them to do so, while stiffening my back, raising my head and remaining in stoic silence, unbowed. Sometimes, I even try to catch the vicar's eye, as if to say "ask me about this after the service, I dare you."

I'm being respectful, by keeping silent. I could do a lot worse, such as saying "hail Satan", when they say "amen", for example. I'm not going to conform to what they want, because they think that I should, after all.

But I have been known at other times (usually times of need) to address empty words to the local atmosphere and say "to any divine being that may exist and be bothered about my existence, [problem], give me a solution"

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Tateos
Tateos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:44 AM Reply

At 9/28/12 11:05 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Question for people who are atheists or stuff like that.

When people are praying and you are of a different religion or no religion, what do you do? Do you join in and pray with them? Appear to be praying while not actually thinking about what they are saying? Do whatever you want while they do that crap?

I try to be as respectful as possible- be quiet, and if it's something like at a dinner table I'll do the hand holding thing or whatever.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 10:14 AM Reply

At 9/29/12 08:50 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: That would be amusing but I don't think it has happened to me yet, usually people tend to try and beat the gay out instead.

Thats because theyre fucking retarded. I really hate that such completely stupid people exist.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 10:21 AM Reply

At 9/29/12 09:31 AM, The-Great-One wrote: So someone who is bowing their head in respect of silence or doing nothing at all and simply honoring the memory or hoping for the better for someone else in your eyes is an asshole atheist who is just there wondering "how long do I have to keep this up".

If you have read what others have been saying you will see that they do have the view of not caring and just wanting to get out as soon as possible, bowing their heads while waiting, and it is those people that I am claiming are cunts. People who honestly bow their heads in respect and hope for the dead peoples happiness etc. despite not believing in the afterlife themselves is how all atheists should act. Anyone that claims "I don't do this because I don't believe in God" is a horrible human being, who honestly gives a shit what the person believe in it isn't about them, it is about the dead persons beliefs that you respect and pray for.

Prayer is praying to a god. Atheists do not believe in a god or in prayer, so why not simply respect the moment of silence to so others may keep them in their prayers and thoughts? I love you Ragnarokia, you're one of the nicest people on here so it makes me wonder how you're trying to connect these two here?

A moment of silence is utterly pointless, the same as closing your eyes for a minute and other shit ways of "respecting" people. All the proof you need of that is to look at schools where they tell people to do such things and the children don't care at all about it and continue to prat around during such things, after seeing such events no one can really claim it respects anyone, it is simply a predetermined scripted action people do when they don't wish to actually put any effort or care in themselves. Children prat around during it as they are to young to understand keeping it inside, adults keep inside how much they don't care, that if anything is worse.

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 10:26 AM Reply

At 9/29/12 09:19 AM, The-Great-One wrote: I'm a bit confused there on how an atheists prayer works. Seeing how an atheist doesn't pray to a God. I don't know, I find it more respectful to just honor the memory of the person or to try and be there for them instead of just praying for them.

It would basically work like shintoism which is pretty damn respectful if I may say so.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 12:00 PM Reply

At 9/28/12 11:05 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Question for people who are atheists or stuff like that.

When people are praying and you are of a different religion or no religion, what do you do?

;;;
I usually have a nap

Might as well make good use of your time....at least I'm accomplishing something !

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 12:28 PM Reply

At 9/29/12 01:20 AM, satanbrain wrote: Respect at the price of the supression of your ideology?

Being a disrespectful cunt is not part of my ideology. Why should I be needlessly provocative? especially around people I care about. I know what I believe and don't believe. I don't have to prove anything to them.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
camobch0
camobch0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 12:36 PM Reply

I just sit and wait for them to finish. Don't join in or bow my head or anything.

A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature
Verspar
Verspar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 12:46 PM Reply

I'm glad to see people to pay respect to prayer even if its just give them your silence. I'm especially happy because you needn't give the respect, but you do so anyways. if I was in a situation of a prayer of a different religion (which never happened before in my life) I would be respectful and probably join in.

At 9/29/12 12:00 PM, morefngdbs wrote: I usually have a nap

Might as well make good use of your time....at least I'm accomplishing something !

Close your eyes and think (pray, meditate, whatever it is) deeply. Relax your body, spirit and zzzzzzzzzzz.

chiefindomer
chiefindomer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 01:11 PM Reply

Well, I've never experience a dinner table prayer, but I have been to church with my friends' families when I was a kid. Whenever everyone was supposed to be praying I would bow my head, even though I wasn't actually praying, because I was worried I would get in trouble if I didn't go along with it. Now I wouldn't feel obligated to bow my head like I did back then but I would still sit in silence and respectfully wait for others to finish praying. I think most Christians I know wouldn't have an issue with that.

BBS Signature
Alphabetetical
Alphabetetical
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 01:17 PM Reply

Just bow, close my eyes, and listen. It really isn't a huge deal.

Lolthread
Thanks a bunch to CagedSilhouette for the shiny new sig.

BBS Signature
Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 01:21 PM Reply

I sacrifice a goat.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
robotking98
robotking98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 01:28 PM Reply

At 9/29/12 09:01 AM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 9/29/12 08:54 AM, robotking98 wrote: I simply don't do it, the people who I'm around know very well that I'm an atheist, and know that if they take me somewhere where I'm expected to pray for something, it's not going to happen.
So a close friend looses their family in a terrible accident and they plead with you to pray for their souls with them, you would insist you refuse to and leave them alone at such a painful time?

You're a cunt.

If someone doesn't want to acknowledge the fact that I don't pray, I see no reason for me to acknowledge the fact that they want me to.

Seriously, who even reads these things anymore?

BBS Signature
freshmaker49
freshmaker49
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 01:38 PM Reply

its fun to open your eyes in the middle of the prayer and see who is diddle dallying

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 02:27 PM Reply

At 9/29/12 12:28 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Being a disrespectful cunt is not part of my ideology. Why should I be needlessly provocative? especially around people I care about. I know what I believe and don't believe. I don't have to prove anything to them.

It's funny that Christianity is so embedded in our society that you see not participating in a prayer as disrespectful and provocative. The simple fact is that because you grew up in a Christian society, you see prayer as something that's normal and just part of everyday life.

It's not. It's a religious gesture no matter how you put it, and if you're not a Christian then you have no more an obligation to participate in Christian prayer then you have an obligation to go to Church.

I don't participate in prayer, no to incite people but merely because I do not pray. If someone sees that as provocative then they obviously have some problems with their world view. Non-participation is not provocative. It's not as if I walk into the room with an A around my neck and yell "God is a lie!" during prayer. I sit there silently.

JBK
JBK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 02:29 PM Reply

At 9/29/12 08:50 AM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 9/29/12 08:10 AM, BumFodder wrote:
At 9/29/12 08:07 AM, HydraTundra wrote: Jokingly got in a relationship with a girl on Facebook before..... And..Well.. Ever have someone try to pray the gay off of you?
Whoever tries to pray the gay out of someone is fucking insane.
That would be amusing but I don't think it has happened to me yet, usually people tend to try and beat the gay out instead.

I have a gay relative on the Christian side of my family. I think they pray for him to find God. Not exactly for God to heal him of gayness like its a disease. They assume I guess that if they are Christian and they give themselves to God then it will help them not be gay or perverts as Im sure all Christians view homosexuality. Of course Christians these days dont believes nobody is perfect. Not sure if that thinking applies to gays.

"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 02:41 PM Reply

At 9/29/12 02:27 PM, Entice wrote: It's funny that Christianity is so embedded in our society that you see not participating in a prayer as disrespectful and provocative.

I don't join in, I just say "amen" at the end when I'm at the table with my father's mostly Catholic family. But I see what you mean.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
chiefindomer
chiefindomer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 03:11 PM Reply

At 9/29/12 10:21 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: People who honestly bow their heads in respect and hope for the dead peoples happiness etc. despite not believing in the afterlife themselves is how all atheists should act.

The whole bowing your head and praying thing is a completely superfluous act and, for many atheists, superficial as well when grieving a death. Doing this does not automatically mean that I care more, my feelings would stay the same despite my physical actions. Whenever I have lost a loved one, it has affected me tremendously because of how much I did care, but I never felt the need to pray for them. In fact, if I had prayed, it would have just been to show others that I care, out of fear that failing to do so would result in me being labeled as indifferent. So really, me praying would not be about respecting the dead, but about my own social appearance which seems pretty disingenuous and disrespectful to me.

Anyone that claims "I don't do this because I don't believe in God" is a horrible human being, who honestly gives a shit what the person believe in it isn't about them, it is about the dead persons beliefs that you respect and pray for.

Choosing to not pray does not equate to a lack of respect or indifference towards a tragic situation. Different people have different ways of grieving a loss, you shouldn't be so quick to judge someone based on that.

BBS Signature
Pygmaelion
Pygmaelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Atheists/etc praying? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:26 PM Reply

IF ATHEISM IS RIGHT, WHY CAN'T STEPHEN HAWKING STAND UP?