New Topic Respond to this Topic
SwedishPlumTrees
SwedishPlumTrees
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Animator
Do you take your time or rush it? 2012-09-28 20:36:34 Reply

'Ello there. I've been making little animated shorts for about 2 years now, and for most of those shorts, my mindset was always "gotta finish as fast as possible." I always thought that if I was to ever be an animator, I would have to get used to being quick. However, now that I'm starting on a new animation, and I'm taking my time, I find that I like it more. I can go at my own pace, no stress, and my ideas flow more freely. I still give myself goals though. (I try to get in an hour of animation a day.) In your opinion, what's the best way to work? Do you rush it? Take your time? Thanks in advance :)

KhanhCPham
KhanhCPham
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Do you take your time or rush it? 2012-09-28 20:49:30 Reply

Depends. I do sometimes feel that you learn a lot through quantity but sometimes I do things so fast that I dont feel like I learned anything. Sometimes when I animate a scene, I feel that I get too focus on one scene while I should be paying attention to the overall movie. I say if your doing a project for a client or as homework, just try to get it done before the deadline but if your doing your own project, try to find a right balance between "taking your time" and "rush."

Currently doing short rough animations here http://khanhcpham.deviantart.com/

sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Do you take your time or rush it? 2012-09-28 22:29:49 Reply

I'm usually on a deadline. When that happens, I start off doing it slowly, then quickly fall into procrastination and am forced to rush it in the last few days.

When I'm not on a deadline though, I tend to do a Travis and rush it near the end, just because I'm so eager to get it done.

BBS Signature
Asperchu
Asperchu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Do you take your time or rush it? 2012-09-29 16:30:37 Reply

When i'm on a deadline I rush alot
When i'm not I try and make it as smooth as possible while keeping it looking good.
If i'm just messing around in flash I just make shitty animation test that I sometimes take my time on and sometimes I don't.

DancingEngie
DancingEngie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to Do you take your time or rush it? 2012-09-29 16:39:52 Reply

I always gotten the "rush" mindset. By the time I was in 7th grade I finished all of my tests first (and getting grades accordingly...) so that went on to all of my other projects. When I was starting to program I used to make 3-level games, publish them and call them "Beta" or "Unfinished", and never got around to finishing them. So was my animating. As much as I try to tell myself: "Slow down!" as oppose to whip out a movie or game, the maximum amount of effort I got into making any internet project was about 5-7 days.

SwedishPlumTrees
SwedishPlumTrees
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Animator
Response to Do you take your time or rush it? 2012-09-29 19:27:25 Reply

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. Kinda comforting when you know people have the same mindset. Hehe. Anyways, just wanted to see how other people do projects. Seems many people try to finish their animations quickly. I'm liking the way things are going as of right now, while I take my time. I've done about an hour a day (give or take) and so far I'm very happy with the result. Methinks I just gotta chill and actually enjoy the animation process, instead of "OH GOD, I HOPE PEOPLE LIKE THIS, BETTER RUSH". But that's not to say it's the only way, just the way I enjoy it. Good luck to everybody, and thanks again :)