Be a Supporter!

Why No Third Party Candidates?

  • 711 Views
  • 17 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Scarface
Scarface
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-09-28 06:56:33 Reply

Looking at polls, only about 10% of people aren't voting for either Romney or Obama. Why is that? Why don't people look at other candidates more often? I think Gary Johnson has a very reasonable and respectable platform, but he doesn't have a chance at winning, which is a shame.

Do you ever vote for third party candidates? Or only Democrat and/or Republicans? Why?


Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-09-28 07:17:37 Reply

Truth be told I would gladly vote for a third-party Candidate. Shoot Roseanne's platform does appeal to me. However our media does not care for third-party candidates, they only care about the two parties and keeping everything split because if they do then they acquire ratings.

You wanna know why these third-party candidates are not listened to or put into consideration, then that is why, the media outlets and the American public doesn't want to do a damn thing about it, they're too wrapped up in their own vices to do anything about it.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Movie Buff
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-09-28 11:07:23 Reply

It's simply because they have little influence. It's probably because most political views can be divided into twos (are you for or against gay marriage? for example). One party is just more associated with a certain view. It's hard for a topic like that for someone to be neither for or against gay marriage but take some third option.


You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Baby-Bottle-Bob
Baby-Bottle-Bob
  • Member since: Feb. 29, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-09-28 11:22:36 Reply

The problem is they cant generate no money in order to establish a good campaigne. Campaigning = support = voters.


9

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-09-28 14:05:31 Reply

3 reasons.

1. "don't throw your vote away mentality" the people are brainwashed into believing that a vote for a 3rd party candidate is a wasted vote.

2. media blackout. you ever hear about 3rd party candidates in the news? of course not. all of the news corporations are in bed with one (or both) major political parties.

3. most of them suck anyway. few 3rd parties have a viable platform. Single issue parties have no business being in the oval office.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-09-28 20:18:39 Reply

Usually because when a 3rd party candidate comes up with a significant amount of support, one of the two major parties adopts their platforms and ideals and they begin mixing together until eventually the 3rd party is now a new faction of the main party even if that 3rd party is reluctant to do so. In the 1890's when the Populists came up they had carried several states in the Presidential election and had won a couple seats in Congress, they fused with the Democratic party and became a faction within them too. Perhaps even better when Ross Perot was campaigning in the 90's he had a significant chunk of the vote which both candidates siphoned away from him eventually by becoming more Libertarian. Very few 3rd parties have an ability to remain independent; for example if the Republicans want Libertarian votes they just have to be more liberal on social issues and actually work towards smaller government.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
Thecrazyman
Thecrazyman
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 50
Gamer
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-09-29 16:56:34 Reply

At 9/28/12 07:17 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Truth be told I would gladly vote for a third-party Candidate. Shoot Roseanne's platform does appeal to me. However our media does not care for third-party candidates, they only care about the two parties and keeping everything split because if they do then they acquire ratings.

You wanna know why these third-party candidates are not listened to or put into consideration, then that is why, the media outlets and the American public doesn't want to do a damn thing about it, they're too wrapped up in their own vices to do anything about it.

This alone proves that a number of things have to change, because the bulk of the media doesn't care about 3rd party candidates, I'll go for alternatives once the moment arises for it. Look at Youtube and newgrounds for example, alternative ways to get things going, heak I could even sit their playing video games to rack up achievements to become more known to the community to spread influence, it's one of the big reason why work-a rounds exist.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-09-29 21:40:29 Reply

At 9/29/12 04:56 PM, Thecrazyman wrote: Look at Youtube

The problem with YouTube is, although a lot of vloggers seem to mean well, they're just looking for views and subscribers, nothing more. They don't care and they're voice will change from the topic of third-party candidates to a lesser of two evils between Republican and Democrat without hesitation.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
theacronyms
theacronyms
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-09-30 17:15:16 Reply

People are drawn to what is presented to them. Anyone ever hear about that study regarding how much people will eat? People will more often than not continue eating past satiety if the food is simply placed on the table. Few there be that consider the issue at hand.

It's horrible because I now have to choose between Romney and Obama to be my President. Voting for another is essentially throwing my vote away. But out of principle, I cannot vote for either one. I do not trust Romney. He flip-flops. And I disagree with Obama's policies. So what can I do?

My vote then becomes a symbolic gesture of my refusal to play the game. But who's really going to notice?

Eh...

Trogdrr
Trogdrr
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-09-30 20:19:47 Reply

Probably because we're to broke to have one.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-09-30 23:43:42 Reply

I would imagine because some Americans don't realize or care that our "two" parties are too similar and that a third party can indeed win. That, and the fact that the media makes a blockout of most other parties.


For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-10-01 01:50:50 Reply

At 9/30/12 11:43 PM, Cootie wrote: I would imagine because some Americans don't realize or care that our "two" parties are too similar and that a third party can indeed win. That, and the fact that the media makes a blockout of most other parties.

I fail to see how the two major parties are so similar when gridlock in the U.S. Congress has consistently presented a problem for the past two years or so.

These facts serve to further undermine your claim.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-10-01 17:03:32 Reply

At 10/1/12 01:50 AM, Light wrote:
At 9/30/12 11:43 PM, Cootie wrote: I would imagine because some Americans don't realize or care that our "two" parties are too similar and that a third party can indeed win. That, and the fact that the media makes a blockout of most other parties.
I fail to see how the two major parties are so similar when gridlock in the U.S. Congress has consistently presented a problem for the past two years or so.

These facts serve to further undermine your claim.

You ever see that star trek episode with the guys with the half white and half black faces? It doesn't matter now similar they are as long as they're the other guys. And that is exactly why a third party will never take hold. Mostly they're just like one of the established parties but a little looser. So if you're going to vote in that direction you might as well vote for someone with a shot.


I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-10-06 14:16:43 Reply

At 9/28/12 06:56 AM, Scarface wrote:
Do you ever vote for third party candidates? Or only Democrat and/or Republicans? Why?

Because people are silly. It's a cult of personality thing.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-10-06 14:18:08 Reply

At 10/1/12 01:50 AM, Light wrote:
I fail to see how the two major parties are so similar when gridlock in the U.S. Congress has consistently presented a problem for the past two years or so.

That has to do more with the people involved than the parties.

leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Member since: Sep. 30, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-10-06 14:23:34 Reply

At 9/28/12 11:22 AM, Baby-Bottle-Bob wrote: "The problem is they cant generate no money in order to establish a good campaigne." Campaigning = support = voters.

Just based on that fact you stated means IMHO we desperately must get money out of politics forever.


BBS Signature
leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Member since: Sep. 30, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Why No Third Party Candidates? 2012-10-06 14:28:47 Reply

At 9/30/12 11:43 PM, Cootie wrote: I would imagine because some Americans don't realize or care that our "two" parties are too similar and that a third party can indeed win. That, and the fact that the media makes a blockout of most other parties.

The question I would like to entertain is if a so called "third party" actually did get into power how long is it until they get fully corrupted into the same cookie cutter pattern that the two main parties are cut from ?


BBS Signature