New Topic Respond to this Topic
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 02:00 PM Reply

Do you remember how awesome Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie were on the N64? No? Well, they kicked ass and represented some of the last great platforming games.

Well, it seems as if some members of the original Banjo-Kazooie team want to get together, raise some funds, and make a new "spiritual successor" to those games. While this means we won't be seeing a new Banjo game, we would be seeing a new game with the same style of humor and gameplay.

Would you be be supportive of something like this? I personally would, if only because I'd like to see the platforming games of my youth make a comeback...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 02:19 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 02:00 PM, ZJ wrote: Would you be be supportive of something like this?

Definitely. Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are two of my favourite games and I'd love to see another 3D platforming game like those. Spiritual Successor or direct sequel would both be fine with me.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 15 March 2014)

BBS Signature
Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 03:15 PM Reply

This might be some of the best news I've heard in a while. I grew up playing the Banjo-Kazooie games and have been waiting for a true successor to the old games (screw that Nuts & Bolts crap). Here's hoping that enough people follow them on twitter so they do know that we want this game. I myself am following them as well to show support.

lumpyjor5808
lumpyjor5808
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 03:23 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 02:00 PM, ZJ wrote: Do you remember how awesome Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie were on the N64? No? Well, they kicked ass and represented some of the last great platforming games.

Would you be be supportive of something like this?

Heck yes i would, I missed the days when platformers were the best genre, now we got zombie games and First Person shooters being shat out of the over repitive modern gaming industry, minus the jewels of mainstream games (Batman arkham city, LoZ: Skyward sword, Skyrim, etc.) So yes a spitirual sucessor to my fav game of all time would be awesome

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 03:53 PM Reply

If they can pull off the same humor that they had from Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Conker's Bad Fur Day, with the perfect controls from Banjo-Tooie then we'll be set.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
simon
simon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 05:21 PM Reply

This is absolutely amazing news, I'm a big fan of both the originals. Not so much Nuts & Bolts.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Playstation ID: SCParry
3DS Friend Code: 2878-9581-7218

BBS Signature
OwnageGiy221
OwnageGiy221
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 08:07 PM Reply

I'm not sure why they don't just make Banjo Three(ie). That's the game everyone knows them for, and I'm not so sure anybody will care about this new IP. Maybe I'm wrong, but a new Banjo Kazooie game will be sure to cause a flood of greenbacks for the devs.

kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 08:33 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 08:07 PM, OwnageGiy221 wrote: I'm not sure why they don't just make Banjo Three(ie).

I'm sure the original Banjo Kazooie team isn't with Rare anymore, or else Nuts & Bolts wouldn't have happened. The IP stayed with the people who wear Rares hollow carcass now.

BBS Signature
Hemlok
Hemlok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 03:23 AM Reply

Just a pipe dream at this point, I don't have much optimism. But being a fan of all Banjo Kazooie games I would definitely be on board.

Xbox Live Gamertag: POTM

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Game Developer
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 08:02 AM Reply

Does this mean I should start playing banjo and kazooie games more often to understand?

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 08:37 AM Reply

Sounds pretty promising since it's has some of the old members from Rare working on this Spiritual successor to the Banjo Kazooie titles for the n64 , The Nuts and Bolts game wasn't even that half bad of a game though it should have been under a different name

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 08:57 AM Reply

At 9/28/12 08:37 AM, argile wrote: Sounds pretty promising since it's has some of the old members from Rare working on this Spiritual successor to the Banjo Kazooie titles for the n64 , The Nuts and Bolts game wasn't even that half bad of a game though it should have been under a different name

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts was not a bad game at all. I will agree that a different name should have been given to it. However was that name alone enough for it to get the treatment it did?

BBS Signature
DingoWalleyStudio
DingoWalleyStudio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 09:32 AM Reply

Heck yeah I want me some real 3-D Platforming! I love Banjo Kazooie, and Banjo Tooie is my favorite game of all time! If these guys, who worked on BK and BT, can do it, I'm behind them 100%!

Make it happen guys! Make it happen! I don't care if it's not Banjo and Kazooie, as long as it's just as awesome as them!

kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 09:42 AM Reply

At 9/28/12 08:57 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts was not a bad game at all. I will agree that a different name should have been given to it. However was that name alone enough for it to get the treatment it did?

It didn't live up to the previous Banjo Kazooie games. In fact it was a whole 'nother genre. There was nothing from Banjo Kazooie/Tooie left except for the characters.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 10:40 AM Reply

At 9/28/12 08:02 AM, TheMajormel wrote: Does this mean I should start playing banjo and kazooie games more often to understand?

If you can get them. You can play the originals on the N64, but if you cant get them there are HD versions on Xbox360.

ToastedCupcake
ToastedCupcake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 12:49 PM Reply

I'm about to start playing through Banjo Tooie again, I need a good platformer and it's sitting out in the living room right now.

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 02:49 PM Reply

I would totally be up for playing Banjo Threeie or it's equivalent. I loved Rare and it is good news to know they plan on doing this.

Hopefully it comes out on a console I possess.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
MentalMyles
MentalMyles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 03:00 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 06:54 PM, Protagonist wrote: Sounds great, but would it be a 360 exclusive Or are these guys working outside of Rare? I would love to see this happen.

from the sounds of it, they might be working outside of Rare. hardly anyone during the golden years are still around anymore and Microsoft pretty much have the company on a tight leash to make child friendly casual games.

hey, howz it goin?

BBS Signature
freshmaker49
freshmaker49
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 03:22 PM Reply

rare should bring back something more respectable like KI instead

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Game Developer
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 04:30 PM Reply

At 9/28/12 03:22 PM, freshmaker49 wrote: rare should bring back something more respectable like KI instead

Both series are respectable in there own right.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 02:26 AM Reply

At 9/28/12 09:42 AM, kmau wrote: It didn't live up to the previous Banjo Kazooie games. In fact it was a whole 'nother genre. There was nothing from Banjo Kazooie/Tooie left except for the characters.

Alright then how come Luigi's Mansion got a free pass then? Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was an interesting idea and it is fun when you get the hang of it. Luigi's Mansion is in this same aspect.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 03:48 PM Reply

At 9/29/12 02:26 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 9/28/12 09:42 AM, kmau wrote: It didn't live up to the previous Banjo Kazooie games. In fact it was a whole 'nother genre. There was nothing from Banjo Kazooie/Tooie left except for the characters.
Alright then how come Luigi's Mansion got a free pass then? Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was an interesting idea and it is fun when you get the hang of it. Luigi's Mansion is in this same aspect.

But it's not like Luigi's Mansion was billed as the next big thing in the Mario universe and presented as a straight sequel to something like Super Mario 64. Most people thought Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts would be a sequel to the first two games in the same platforming sense, not some spin-off vehicle title.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 10:12 PM Reply

Even though I loved Banjo Kazooie (never played the sequel) I would much rather have Rare develop a sequel to Jet Force Gemin. That was by far the most underrated N64 ever created.

Crazywill
Crazywill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Sep. 30th, 2012 @ 06:40 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 02:00 PM, ZJ wrote: Do you remember how awesome Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie were on the N64? No? Well, they kicked ass and represented some of the last great platforming games.

Would you be be supportive of something like this? I personally would, if only because I'd like to see the platforming games of my youth make a comeback...

Yes, I would support such a thing. Like you said, I would wax nostalgic over such a game.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Banjo-Kazooie "Spiritual Successor" Oct. 1st, 2012 @ 12:50 AM Reply

At 9/29/12 03:48 PM, ZJ wrote: But it's not like Luigi's Mansion was billed as the next big thing in the Mario universe and presented as a straight sequel to something like Super Mario 64. Most people thought Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts would be a sequel to the first two games in the same platforming sense, not some spin-off vehicle title.

So what we're looking at then is not a problem with the game, but more in advertising what the product would be.

BBS Signature