New Topic Respond to this Topic
NeverHundred
NeverHundred
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
EQ Melodica 2012-09-26 19:10:56 Reply

Well, I have an assignment for my audio class. I have to pick a bunch of instruments and decide how I'm going to do the shelving, peaking, boosting and cutting frequencies. What should I write on this thing-a-ma-jig? Should I raise the dB around 2000 Hz? 3000 Hz? Over 9,000 Hz? That's actually still within range of human hearing, supposedly... unless you're old and fat and have tinnitus. But is that where the melodicas live? I'm supposed to find where they live, and boost the dB around there so I can give them happy lives and they can sing clearly, without sounding muffled or tinny.

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to EQ Melodica 2012-09-26 20:53:15 Reply

At 9/26/12 07:10 PM, NeverHundred wrote: Well, I have an assignment for my audio class. I have to pick a bunch of instruments and decide how I'm going to do the shelving, peaking, boosting and cutting frequencies. What should I write on this thing-a-ma-jig? Should I raise the dB around 2000 Hz? 3000 Hz? Over 9,000 Hz? That's actually still within range of human hearing, supposedly... unless you're old and fat and have tinnitus. But is that where the melodicas live? I'm supposed to find where they live, and boost the dB around there so I can give them happy lives and they can sing clearly, without sounding muffled or tinny.

Each sound of each instrument is different. However, if you are just writing down what you should theoretically do, the teacher should have given you some study notes.

AndretheXLR8R
AndretheXLR8R
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to EQ Melodica 2012-09-26 22:07:35 Reply

You should pick an instrument with a limited range like a trumpet or flute. Obviously dont pick a guitar or piano as those have very wide ranges. Look up its range via the interwebz and adjust the EQ from there. you can obviously cut the low end for something like a flute. you can adjust the Q to broaden or sharpen what frequencies you want to highlight.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to EQ Melodica 2012-09-27 13:16:19 Reply

As time goes by you naturally learn where every sound you hear sits in the spectrum, but it seems you need help with that so here's something to get you on your way:
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/
main_display.htm

Interactive frequency chart for lots of common instruments as well as descriptions of types of sounds with all kinds of additional information. ;)

Have fun.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature