DanBlam
DanBlam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Music Making Software Or Similar? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 06:03 AM Reply

Hey all,

I'm just starting out as a composer, and I was wondering what software you guys use.

-Dan.

Triented
Triented
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Music Making Software Or Similar? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 07:00 AM Reply

When I started out, I used a program called Buzz. It is a free program, but you need to take a few tutorials to figure out how to use the thing. It's not very user friendly and is closer to a drum machine than a music composer, even though you CAN use full length songs. I switched from Buzz to FL Studio when I was about 12, and have been using it for the past 6 years. FL Studio, pardoning all of the criticism, is actually a pretty fluid, and can be a top notch program if you know how to fully use it, but at first you will wind up making a bunch of generic sounding techno songs, I think it's that way for pretty much everyone.

BBS Signature
Triented
Triented
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Music Making Software Or Similar? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 07:01 AM Reply

At 9/26/12 07:00 AM, Triented wrote: even though you CAN use full length songs.

Pardon me, even though you can MAKE full length songs.*

BBS Signature
Jernemies
Jernemies
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Music Making Software Or Similar? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 08:23 AM Reply

LMMS is good "to start out" as most guys treat it. IMO though, it's underrated. I still use it, and won't change even if I got a copy of FL studio for free :p

seel
seel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Music Making Software Or Similar? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 09:25 AM Reply

At 9/26/12 07:00 AM, Triented wrote: FL Studio, pardoning all of the criticism, is actually a pretty fluid, and can be a top notch program if you know how to fully use it, but at first you will wind up making a bunch of generic sounding techno songs, I think it's that way for pretty much everyone.

Despite the fact that FL studio is completely out of the question for me, I agree. FL should not be underestimated, it's a high-end daw that's pretty good for making electronic and sampled music with. I suggest that you try out a couple of daws and see what works for you TS.

Emotiquon
Emotiquon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Music Making Software Or Similar? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 10:41 AM Reply

At 9/26/12 06:03 AM, DanBlam wrote: Hey all,

I'm just starting out as a composer, and I was wondering what software you guys use.

-Dan.

I'm an Ableton user, and wouldn't really use anything else personally. The routing capability was what I found really attractive, and it's absolutely brilliant for live performing.

Used to use Cubase VST, and prior to that it was Bars & Pipes on the Amiga. Even before that, it was ProTracker or OctaMED. I got a copy of ProTracker free with Amiga Format magazine when I was a nipper and never really looked back...

Grab the demo of Ableton Live from their website:

Ableton Live Free Trial

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Music Making Software Or Similar? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 11:36 AM Reply

On top of getting a DAW or host software, you'll need instruments. What kind of genre are you looking to make?

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Music Making Software Or Similar? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 03:56 PM Reply

A list of useful software and specific threads about specific programs can be found here:
http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/forums/forum -rules/audio-forum-rules
But something to answer specifically to your question is probably this:
http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/music-and-a udio-resources

And now, to answer myself, I'm a Mu.Lab power user and big fan, I used it on making several albums, some of them signed to record labels.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Music Making Software Or Similar? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 05:43 PM Reply

You can check out a HUGE load of cross platform software right over here !

sugarsimon
sugarsimon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Music Making Software Or Similar? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 07:49 AM Reply

I also using FL Studio is very easy to make music.

TheBenjerman
TheBenjerman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Music Making Software Or Similar? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 05:56 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 05:43 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: You can check out a HUGE load of cross platform software right over here !

This ^^

And what Sorohanro said.

A lot of what you get depends on what you want to do. I write music for film, games and television, as well as some classical stuff, and I use Sibelius for notation and Cubase as a general DAW. I sometimes record, mix and prepare things for sessions in Pro Tools.

I'm fairly comfortable with the "film composer" way of doing things, and I find that people in my field generally use Logic, Cubase or Digital Performer to sequence their cues/mockups, and Pro Tools to mix. People use both Sibelius and Finale in the composing/orchestration/copyist field, but Sibelius tends to be faster unless you program a TON of macros into Finale and use it all day every day, and then they are about the same. It is easier to do more advanced things in Finale though.

A lot of electronic producers and Hip Hop guys use use Ableton and Fruity Loops, and you always get guys running other systems like Sonar.

How serious are you? You can go for freeware to start with, but so much of it is a pain in the ass and you'll have to relearn it when you switch to a pro platform.

BBS Signature