New Topic Respond to this Topic
Wonchop
Wonchop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Animator
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 07:38 PM Reply

At 9/26/12 12:13 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: I would love to go, but London might be to expensive for me, it depends if I get any good money before then or not as currently I don't have much spare. Don't suppose anyone has a spare place to rest at if the hotels are ridiculously expensive. From having a quick look some of them are reasonable while others are stupidly dear, will only know for sure when I know which ones would be close to the meetup etc. I guess.

I'd probably be down for splitting a room again. Lord knows I love spending less money.

Any variations on the usual routine planned or are we going for the usual Namco Station followed by pub crawl routine?
Also Facebook event where?

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 08:14 PM Reply

At 9/26/12 03:46 PM, Gagsy wrote: Mike just said via NG Chat that he's in for a NG London Meet in January. So you know, no pressure Mike, but if you don't go now then you're a horrible liar who lies and stuff :(

Does that mean you'll certainly make it here this time? Mike's appearance is also good news if he's telling the truth.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 10:32 PM Reply

At 9/26/12 07:38 PM, Wonchop wrote:
At 9/26/12 12:13 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: I would love to go, but London might be to expensive for me, it depends if I get any good money before then or not as currently I don't have much spare. Don't suppose anyone has a spare place to rest at if the hotels are ridiculously expensive. From having a quick look some of them are reasonable while others are stupidly dear, will only know for sure when I know which ones would be close to the meetup etc. I guess.
I'd probably be down for splitting a room again. Lord knows I love spending less money.

Yea worked out last time so may be up for sharing again, still though I wouldn't want to say I am definitely going or not at this stage, I'll have to make sure I have enough spare like last January before I can claim for sure. Sharing the room will help with the cost for sure but might still be to much, I love being unemployed sigh.

Any variations on the usual routine planned or are we going for the usual Namco Station followed by pub crawl routine?
Also Facebook event where?

I have yet to be to a London meet so would enjoy seeing what events do take place, I hope there is a bar like the Kyoto Lounge over there, that was the best part of Manchester.

Also Gagsy commenting on people saying they have to go, but you have to go!

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 10:34 PM Reply

Cant you do it somewhere more original this time like Brighton?

KillerSkull
KillerSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 10:39 PM Reply

At 9/26/12 03:32 AM, Painbringer wrote: Wow, the first Luis meet I've seen in months!

I'm still not going.

I don't know why but I laughed at this.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 10:43 PM Reply

At 9/26/12 10:32 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: I have yet to be to a London meet so would enjoy seeing what events do take place, I hope there is a bar like the Kyoto Lounge over there, that was the best part of Manchester.

Would you settle with a big arcade with bumper cars and a bar?

Formerly Bahamut

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 10:49 PM Reply

At 9/26/12 07:38 PM, Wonchop wrote:
At 9/212 12:13 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: I would love to go, but London might be to expensive for me, it depends if I get any good money before then or not as currently I don't have much spare. Don't suppose anyone has a spare place to rest at if the hotels are ridiculously expensive. From having a quick look some of them are reasonable while others are stupidly dear, will only know for sure when I know which ones would be close to the meetup etc. I guess.

Any variations on the usual routine planned or are we going for the usual Namco Station followed by pub crawl

Too soon to tell. More likely than not atleast white swann will be condistent for fri. Sat will prob be an evening event. I this particular event is less formal than in the past unless tom shows up again

None

KillerSkull
KillerSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 10:50 PM Reply

Luis, how come you never do meets in San Jose or San Francisco....I feel left out.

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 10:59 PM Reply

At 9/26/12 10:34 PM, BumFodder wrote: Cant you do it somewhere more original this time like Brighton?

Yes but what kind of fools live there.

I do approve of not being London though, as London tends to just be added expense for no real gain, unlike other capital cities it doesn't really seem to have anything overly interesting in it from what I can think of. Sure it has Parliament and the Palace etc. but those places tend not to feature as meetup material, though if we did decide to camp out in the Palace that would be awesome.

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 11:02 PM Reply

At 9/26/12 10:43 PM, Bahamut wrote:
At 9/26/12 10:32 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: I have yet to be to a London meet so would enjoy seeing what events do take place, I hope there is a bar like the Kyoto Lounge over there, that was the best part of Manchester.
Would you settle with a big arcade with bumper cars and a bar?

bumper cars and a bar together? Nothing speaks meetup more than getting drunk hammering into each other.

As for the arcade, I never actually recall going to any outside of the random ones by beaches when by the seaside when younger, I guess I grew up on home computers etc. more than playing on arcade machines like others. I suppose it would be interesting to play random arcade shit together, but still I think getting drunk on bumper cars beats that for sure.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 11:17 PM Reply

At 9/26/12 11:02 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: stuff

Well, its actually low season during january, so the weather is shit but thats ok considering most things are indoors anyways. I like to flip flop between manc and London anyway, and this time its London. So yeah.

The White Swan is something ive never been able to find outside of London, and we've had some epic times there and the owners know us and cater to us so its always been a really special thing to have a place you can call your own.

But yeah, in the end i dont really have a binding to any place in england considering how large the US is... if someone really wants to go they will go, and if they dont then they wont. Cant please everyone.

None

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 11:39 PM Reply

At 9/26/12 11:17 PM, Luis wrote: Well, its actually low season during january, so the weather is shit but thats ok considering most things are indoors anyways. I like to flip flop between manc and London anyway, and this time its London. So yeah.

I didn't really notice much cold in the Manchester January meetup it was actually sort of cool surprisingly despite the month so hopefully the London one will fair equally.

The White Swan is something ive never been able to find outside of London, and we've had some epic times there and the owners know us and cater to us so its always been a really special thing to have a place you can call your own.

I do like it when you get places like that so would be fun to check it out if it stays the same way. The karaoke place we went to that gave us that private room was sort of similar and I liked that. Far better than being out in the main room where it was to loud to even talk. I really don't get it when they have music that loud it completely defeats the point of being in a group.

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 11:43 PM Reply

At 9/26/12 05:52 PM, T3XT wrote: If only I lived in the UK.

also, obligatory joke about Luis being Mexican

Are there any NG meets being hosted in the States?

Idocreating
Idocreating
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 01:46 AM Reply

At 9/26/12 07:38 PM, Wonchop wrote: Any variations on the usual routine planned or are we going for the usual Namco Station followed by pub crawl routine?

Same routine as 2011 really. Head to Namco. Get on dodgems. Steal everyone's hats. Get smashed by everyone and suffer a concussion.

Ya'know, the usual. Anyway I'm always down for a meet.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 04:23 AM Reply

At 9/26/12 08:56 AM, Luis wrote: Dean youre a chump. Get out of the rolling green hills and farmlands and come tangle with the big boys in the big concrete jungle. Youre a big boy now.

Nah. There's just too many things I find unappealing about going to London:

- 9+ hours on a bus is too much for me
- it's an expensive place for a guy with essentially no income who's already verging on being broke
- having to use public transport systems to get around
- London looks like a giant maze

Sorry to be a spoil sport and all. I guess I'm subject to change but I highly doubt that to be honest. On the bright side, you wont have to drink nasty beer that I suggest. Like Hobgoblin.

At 9/26/12 03:49 PM, Otto wrote: Yeah Dean, I'm crawling out of Somerset for this. You can do it.

It's mainly the expense and journey that put me off. I'm not meaning to sound horrible or anything, but 9 hours on a bus each way and then who knows how much it will cost me in total for the weekend. Just doesn't seem worth a 3 day trip given my circumstances. I've already been making plans to be down in England for a while in the summer anyway and I really can't afford to make two trips like this. Well, saying that, by the summer I should hopefully be an employed graduate but we'll see.

Anyway, I didn't mean to come in here and be Mr. Negativity so I'll leave it at that for now.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 04:40 AM Reply

ill talk if gagsy attends

At 9/26/12 12:13 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: I would love to go, but London might be to expensive for me, it depends if I get any good money before then or not as currently I don't have much spare.

sell your foreskin

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 09:20 AM Reply

At 9/26/12 10:49 PM, Luis wrote: this particular event is less formal than in the past unless tom shows up again

Don't worry, I won't build my hopes up this time so I won't be disappointing myself.

At 9/26/12 11:17 PM, Luis wrote: But yeah, in the end i dont really have a binding to any place in england considering how large the US is... if someone really wants to go they will go, and if they dont then they wont. Cant please everyone.

I see nothing wrong with White Swan. Hell, I'm up for it again no matter how many times we go there. I don't mind if Saturday evening takes on something different, though.

At 9/27/12 01:46 AM, Idocreating wrote:
At 9/26/12 07:38 PM, Wonchop wrote: Any variations on the usual routine planned or are we going for the usual Namco Station followed by pub crawl routine?
Same routine as 2011 really. Head to Namco. Get on dodgems. Steal everyone's hats. Get smashed by everyone and suffer a concussion.

Ya'know, the usual. Anyway I'm always down for a meet.

Stealing hats, eh? I know what I need to get before this meet occurs.

At 9/27/12 04:23 AM, Dean wrote:
At 9/26/12 08:56 AM, Luis wrote: Dean youre a chump. Get out of the rolling green hills and farmlands and come tangle with the big boys in the big concrete jungle. Youre a big boy now.
Nah. There's just too many things I find unappealing about going to London:

- 9+ hours on a bus is too much for me

I can relate with that. I feel six hours on coach to London and another six hours back can be a little too much, which is why I only take the coach as an option if the train fares are too much or I'm going there last minute (e.g. Seeing Devin Townsend after booking tickets just a few days prior to the show). However, what about the trains? Surely they'd be more convenient for London. I know you mentioned income troubles but with three months in advance for the trains, the prices should be best then.

- having to use public transport systems to get around

It may not be the most pleasant but it has helped getting to certain places in London. White Swan in Wapping seemed like a stretch to get to from Southgate but after plenty of travelling, the public transport is something I've become used to. The buses will only be necessary if you're partying out beyond midnight but last time I just made sure I left to catch the last train.

- London looks like a giant maze

Eh, I did get lost last time but with a smartphone, I won't make that mistake again. :P

Sorry to be a spoil sport and all. I guess I'm subject to change but I highly doubt that to be honest. On the bright side, you wont have to drink nasty beer that I suggest. Like Hobgoblin.

Hobgoblin rocks. I think it was LazyPint who bought me a pint of Hobgoblin at Manchester and I liked it. Luis bought me some Guinness so I owe him some Guinness in return.

At 9/27/12 04:45 AM, 24901miles wrote: All I ask is that someone brings (and uses) a high-res digital camera.

Fucking this. Most of the images at Manchester were awful so this time hopefully we have a decent camera with us. I'll go as far as borrowing the family camera for the meet.

Formerly Bahamut

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 09:44 AM Reply

At 9/26/12 11:43 PM, T3XT wrote:
At 9/26/12 05:52 PM, T3XT wrote: If only I lived in the UK.

also, obligatory joke about Luis being Mexican
Are there any NG meets being hosted in the States?

Here is a nyc meet every summer.

lel

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 09:46 AM Reply

I love the design of your website, Mexicunt.

BBS Signature
Wonchop
Wonchop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Animator
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 10:06 AM Reply

At 9/26/12 11:02 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:
bumper cars and a bar together? Nothing speaks meetup more than getting drunk hammering into each other.

As for the arcade, I never actually recall going to any outside of the random ones by beaches when by the seaside when younger, I guess I grew up on home computers etc. more than playing on arcade machines like others. I suppose it would be interesting to play random arcade shit together, but still I think getting drunk on bumper cars beats that for sure.

There's plenty of random stuff. Last time I went, during the Youtubey Summer in the City gathering last August, they had some kind of laser dodging game, as well as a hugeass Connect 4 and Battle Royale Pacman. Plus a whole load of ticket dispensing games for getting all of the Drumstick Lollies. They also have bowling and air hockey and shit. All good fun.

Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 12:39 PM Reply

At 9/26/12 06:31 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
At 9/26/12 04:03 PM, Otto wrote: Aye it's one of those things that is probably pretty difficult;
Difficult? Pfft; the only hard part is working out if you have the free time to go or not.

I live in a field and don't hit up the cities much; it seems pretty scary to me!

how much would a person need to bring to get through one of these? Just so I know what to start putting away.
You basically need 3 things:
A bus / train ticket to get you there and back.
Somewhere to stay (do NOT rely on people saying they'll let you sleep on their floor; there's always someone who offers people a place for the night and then doesn't show up themselves).
Some spare cash for food / drinks / whatever.

The place to stay shouldn't cost you more than Ã'£80, even for London. The London meet I was at last, I got a room for Ã'£65, and it wasn't even that bad either. At the end of the day, a bed's a bed.

The bus / train will depend entirely on how far away you're traveling from and when in the day you plan to travel down there, so shopping around for times and / or getting a friend to drive you to the next station and back can result in big discounts to travel costs. the only sure-fire thing here is that buses are almost always cheaper, but will take longer to get you there. Preference over either is down to you, really.

And as for food / drink / party / hooker / etc. money... well, Luis and a couple other regulars are too damn nice for their own good and end up acting like the group's communal wallet half the time, so you'll usually end up with a few freebies along the way. Just bring enough money to ensure you don't starve or die of thirst. I managed this on about Ã'£30 for the 2 main days it went on for last time.

TL;DR: Have a look around; it's the only way to know what kind of prices you'll be dealing with.

Thanks for all the information man, I'll keep coming back to this post. But you're right, really I need to just start working it out and saving up a bit then. Also I should've guessed but £80 would actually be all my money at the moment, I guess I'm so used to always having a friends house to stay out when I go out. Here fucking goes - get ready Landan. Is splitting a room an option?

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 12:54 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 04:23 AM, Dean wrote:
wah wah wah

Dean, I heard there will be several cases of Mountain Dew waiting for you in Luis's hotel room...

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 01:13 PM Reply

I could easily go to london on a train in half an hour but honestly london is so boring unless youre a tourist.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 01:18 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 01:14 PM, Addict wrote: If you're eighteen in America, can you still legally drink in the UK?

Age restrictions apply where you ARE, not where you're FROM. So yes, if you're IN the UK and are 18, you can drink.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 01:20 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 01:14 PM, Addict wrote: If you're eighteen in America, can you still legally drink in the UK?

Of course, and ive never been asked for id even when ive been underage.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 01:21 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 01:13 PM, BumFodder wrote: I could easily go to london on a train in half an hour but honestly london is so boring unless youre a tourist.

With the NG peeps, London is never boring.

Formerly Bahamut

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 01:25 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 01:21 PM, Bahamut wrote:
At 9/27/12 01:13 PM, BumFodder wrote: I could easily go to london on a train in half an hour but honestly london is so boring unless youre a tourist.
With the NG peeps, London is never boring.

I suppose, but still london isnt that exciting after the first time and ive been there more times than I can count.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 01:31 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 01:25 PM, BumFodder wrote: I suppose, but still london isnt that exciting after the first time and ive been there more times than I can count.

Twice, then.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 02:06 PM Reply

When did I become so popular. I'm even more dreadfully dull irl.

At 9/27/12 04:40 AM, citricsquid wrote: ill talk if gagsy attends

Last time we both went and I tipsy-ly tried to engage you in stimulating conversation you gawked at me :(

At 9/26/12 10:32 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:
Also Gagsy commenting on people saying they have to go, but you have to go!

I will genuinely go if you go! Because I need to cuddle the shit out of you and serenade you with some bad karaoke singing.

At 9/27/12 01:18 PM, liljim wrote:
Age restrictions apply where you ARE, not where you're FROM. So yes, if you're IN the UK and are 18, you can drink.

Though a reminder to all that ids are very important. Most bars/pubs are asked to check if they think someone looks below 21. So while you can drink being 18, you're now much more likely to be carded now than ever.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to NG London Meet IX 2013 Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 02:21 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 02:06 PM, Gagsy wrote: When did I become so popular. I'm even more dreadfully dull irl.

You can't be more dull than me with my never talking and just sitting in the back of the group.

At 9/26/12 10:32 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Also Gagsy commenting on people saying they have to go, but you have to go!
I will genuinely go if you go! Because I need to cuddle the shit out of you and serenade you with some bad karaoke singing.

Okay this makes me all the more wanting to go then if I can make sure you do, Oh how I hope I can save up some good money by January though.

Also random note about train tickets, the annoying part is how they have no consistency at all with the ticket prices, the last time I checked a train time table the prices ranged from £20 £60 £30 £70 £35 etc. every half hour, I really don't understand it, it isn't even like it's the peak time thats expensive as why would it go right back down after another half an hour, I really don't understand who the hell is incharge of ticket prices in this country.

Hopefully though that could be used to get a cheaper ticket even at peak times needing to just put half an hour or so to the side, but yea, can't check for sure until more details / what station to use etc. is all out.

BBS Signature