New Topic Respond to this Topic
Contraband678
Contraband678
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 25th, 2012 @ 11:21 PM Reply

A really call concept and prototype by Liftport: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaellaine/space-eleva tor-science-climb-to-the-sky-a-tethered Who knows, maybe we will be taking an elevator into space before too long. So, what would you use a space elevator to transport into space or the moon? Do you think this is worthwhile? Would you pay for a ticket?

T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 25th, 2012 @ 11:27 PM Reply

People have been talking about this for years, let's hope these people are actually putting it into motion.

$8,000? Do they really think they can put an elevator into space with the price of my grandma's car?

They would be more likely to need at least million for that kind of project. I'm skeptical.

Even the pledged $100,000 is a bit skimpy for something that huge.

RandomRoarness
RandomRoarness
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 07:41 AM Reply

tl;dr
Is this related to the whole Japan making an elevator to the moon?

happy, sad....!?

"if you're ever getting buttfucked go with scarlet velvet " - Bantam

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Melancholy
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 07:47 AM Reply

This is going to need a lot more money.

Also lol at it

Contraband678
Contraband678
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 08:35 AM Reply

At 9/26/12 07:41 AM, RandomRoarness wrote: tl;dr

They're both space elevator concepts and that is where the similarities end.

Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 11:49 PM Reply

It would suck to be stuck on that, and I think it was estimated that it would take 2 weeks to reach the moon.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
Contraband678
Contraband678
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 09:15 AM Reply

At 9/26/12 11:49 PM, Boomstick wrote: It would suck to be stuck on that, and I think it was estimated that it would take 2 weeks to reach the moon.

To be fair, the Japanese company hasn't even built a proof of concept, so any predictions as to how long it would take and how fast they can make their vehicle is essentially based off nothing.

Additionally, both the Liftport concept as well as this concept are initially being designed to transport only cargo. You would have to imagine that by the time they get to transporting people that they would have a faster system. After all, putting non-astronauts in a small vehicle in the vacuum of space would be extremely risky. You would want to increase the speed, so that if there were any issues in flight you could deal with them relatively quickly.

Just imagine, for example, if someone died on one of these vehicles and they had to hold onto their body for up to a week before anything could be done about it. Speed gives you a margin of safety and it also increases the amount of people you can actually transport into space. You'd have to imagine it would be a top priority.

It is not as though there is not a precedent for increased speed on this type of vehicle. After all, there are trains on Earth that can go 300 mph and prototypes that can go much faster then that. The UK is working on a 1000 mph car that will be tested in Utah next year. I don't see any reason why a space elevator could not go at least that fast if not faster once you leave the atmosphere.

Cool-Points
Cool-Points
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 09:58 AM Reply

110k/8k, nice! yeah, if they can pull this off it would be a massive step forward for space research. for one thing, we wouldn't have to worry about the massive cost of sending a shuttle into space just to dock a few thousand dollars worth of supplies.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 11:16 AM Reply

Given the fact that the most expensive object ever is the International Space Station, which costs $100 billion, I doubt that anything that goes directly into space wouldn't cost less than a billion dollars. Of course, there are people who have that much money, just not as much as 100 billion (to put that into perspective, the richest person in the world, Carlos Slim has only about 65 billion dollars). It seems like we've barely even gotten close with the buildings and structures we already have.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 11:19 AM Reply

At 9/27/12 09:15 AM, Contraband678 wrote: The UK is working on a 1000 mph car that will be tested in Utah next year.

8 miles in 30 seconds?

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Reader
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 11:22 AM Reply

It would be interesting if there where windows so you could watch earth get smaller and smaller. Although I doubt I'd ever be able to afford a ticket in this life.

HungarianSupermarket
HungarianSupermarket
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Audiophile
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 11:38 AM Reply

I am only mildly erect.

This is filler text.
The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature
Contraband678
Contraband678
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 11:41 AM Reply

At 9/27/12 11:19 AM, Entice wrote:
At 9/27/12 09:15 AM, Contraband678 wrote: The UK is working on a 1000 mph car that will be tested in Utah next year.
8 miles in 30 seconds?

I think you got your math wrong there. 1000 mph = 2.7 miles per second. Here's the website for the car by the way, if you want more information.

At 9/27/12 11:22 AM, LiquidFire wrote: It would be interesting if there where windows so you could watch earth get smaller and smaller. Although I doubt I'd ever be able to afford a ticket in this life.

Never say never Liquid. The Virgin Galactic says it will eventually reduce its flights to $20,000 and this technology should in theory be much more cost effective then that. Still, even $2000 for a ticket for be a lot.

Crazywill
Crazywill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 12:00 PM Reply

Well, they say elevators are safe and everything, but what about random debris and other space things? I wouldn't want to go on it unless it was really proven that it was fine. Besides, it would probably take a while to get there, and while I would have a few things to keep me busy, eventually I would get bored or something.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Contraband678
Contraband678
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 12:32 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 12:00 PM, Crazywill wrote: Well, they say elevators are safe and everything, but what about random debris and other space things? I wouldn't want to go on it unless it was really proven that it was fine. Besides, it would probably take a while to get there, and while I would have a few things to keep me busy, eventually I would get bored or something.

Most space debris is very small and would only cause very limited damage to the super strong carbon nanotube structure, but I imagine for larger debris they might have to adjust the position of the station at the top to avoid being hit. Still, even with all the debris the chances of being hit by anything particularly large and damaging is very small. The ISS has managed to deal with this same issue pretty well, after all.

Charoget
Charoget
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 12:42 PM Reply

I honestly don't think this is really doable.
It doesn't even have any purpose other than, rich ass people buying their way to look at apce, and possible like, moon colinization, it's just a money thing. A lot of everything is, but I just don't think it's something that will happen, and if it does I don't think it's worth it.

Richard
Richard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 04:19 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 12:42 PM, Charoget wrote: I honestly don't think this is really doable.
It doesn't even have any purpose other than, rich ass people buying their way to look at apce, and possible like, moon colinization, it's just a money thing. A lot of everything is, but I just don't think it's something that will happen, and if it does I don't think it's worth it.

No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower

A coat of gold, a coat of red, a lion still has claws...

Squidbit
Squidbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 04:23 PM Reply

I didn't read into this at all but anyone saying they're building an elevator to the moon, how the fuck do you think they could accomplish that? The moon isn't exactly stationary.

Richard
Richard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 04:28 PM Reply

At 9/27/12 04:23 PM, Squidbit wrote: I didn't read into this at all but anyone saying they're building an elevator to the moon, how the fuck do you think they could accomplish that? The moon isn't exactly stationary.

^ Even if you do talk shit about me to other people, I agree with your point there.

At 9/26/12 07:41 AM, RandomRoarness wrote: tl;dr

This sounds more plausible than building an elevator to the moon. But it sounds much more expensive than building one here on earth since materials need to be transported.

The huge thing about having a space elevator, is wireless energy transfer. Essentially free energy that would occur from the temperature differences here on earth, and those on space. Those temperature differences create electricity, which then could be used to not only power the space elevator, but other things as well.

In essence:

>> Build space elevator to transport shit into space and make space programs much less costly (international endeavor)
>> power space elevator with it's own naturally produced electricity
>> power other shit too
>> free energy
>> unite humanity
>> vulcans visit
>> Star trek

A coat of gold, a coat of red, a lion still has claws...

DaKnOb2
DaKnOb2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 06:19 PM Reply

I object to this space elevator on the grounds that it is godless! Man should not be able to take an elevator to heaven. Heaven in the domain of god. The last time we tried to build a tower to heaven god came down from the heavens and changed the languages of all the peoples so they could not talk to each other, breeding the seeds of hatred for a thousand generations and a thousand wars. What do you imagine he will do if we build this carbon nanotube blasphemy tower?

We humans should stay on Earth, where we belong, worship and defending the most holy of holy gods and his one true son Jesus Christ. Anything else will only lead to chaos and ruin! The designers of this tower are godless atheists! I pray that this Tower of Terror will no t come to pass. Praise Jesus.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 11:01 AM Reply

I honestly think we'll have gone to Mars before we get an elevator to the Moon. How fast would this elevator go? Even if we assume it goes as fast as a space shuttle, it would still take days to get there and we'd have to have food and sleep on the way, so it better be big enough for a bed.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Baby-Bottle-Bob
Baby-Bottle-Bob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 11:46 AM Reply

that shit would be lame and probly cause people to die.

BBS Signature
BoshansStudios
BoshansStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 11:49 AM Reply

At 9/25/12 11:27 PM, T3XT wrote: $8,000? Do they really think they can put an elevator into space with the price of my grandma's car?

They would be more likely to need at least million for that kind of project. I'm skeptical.

Even the pledged $100,000 is a bit skimpy for something that huge.

a million? lol more like billions.

Click my sig to see my awesome youtube videos. I guarentee you'll like them or you can fuck my cats.

BBS Signature
CrazyKat
CrazyKat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:52 PM Reply

At 9/28/12 12:00 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: Lol, Kickstarter. wouldn't you need billions to build an elevator to space?

Come on guys; Read the Kickstarter page! It clearly says there that the initial funds are being used to create a research prototype, "ItâEUTMs Space Elevator research! Smart robots climbing 2 km straight up. The Ribbon is held aloft by large helium balloons. "

You're not seriously going to argue that something that simple will cost a billion dollars, are you?

The way I understand it, there plan is to test ever higher and more complex prototypes until they have worked out all the quirks and scale it up to the point they can attempt a lunar space elevator. In his videos he states that there will have to be many many more fundraisers to get to that point.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that they easily could attempt a miniature lunar space elevator. A proof of concept vehicle that would not actually have to carry much cargo, just enough to prove that the system works. If you miniaturize the robot, tether, and counterweight I would imagine price would decrease as well, since it would require significantly less raw materials and propellant to create and launch. Assuming the cost per gram is constant, a normal sized space elevator that would normally cost 1 billion dollars would now cost 1 million at 1/1000 scale.

Continue the story on the Story Time Post.

KillerSkull
KillerSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:54 PM Reply

Space elevators are a stupid idea. They're more dangerous than taking a space shuttle.

BBS Signature
Crazywill
Crazywill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 09:59 PM Reply

Well, if it's safe I'm all for it, besides the cost of it. Maybe it'll be controlled by a huge corporation or something. I probably wouldn't go on it though.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

CrazyKat
CrazyKat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 10:12 PM Reply

At 9/29/12 09:54 PM, KillerSkull wrote: Space elevators are a stupid idea. They're more dangerous than taking a space shuttle.

How can you possibly say that with such certainty about a machine that doesn't even exist yet? That is as ridiculous as if I said that Space Elevators are the safest means of transport known to man, because they haven't lead to any deaths. You can't you ever make an accurate prediction about something that doesn't exist, because you have no information to base it on.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:56 AM Reply

I don't know that much about astronomy, but the Earth and the Moon both turn, so do they do it at the same rate? If not, than the elevator is simply going to be ripped apart somewhere in the middle. If not, then the gravity is going to be too hard for some parts of the elevator to handle and would probably rip off anyway when it leaves the Earth's atmosphere. If we could make an elevator that long, it would be easier to build a bridge from America to Europe.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 11:16 AM Reply

At 10/3/12 12:12 PM, 24901miles wrote: Seriously, read a little more about it. The plan is to make a structure which is more like a Yoyo, and less like a Ship's Anchor.

It still seems like an awful lot of money. There would still probably be better things to do in space than just make an elevator. Then again, if you had access to something like that, could they make their own moon colony?

CrazyKat
CrazyKat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Space Elevator Anyone? Oct. 4th, 2012 @ 01:54 PM Reply

At 10/4/12 11:16 AM, Ericho wrote:
At 10/3/12 12:12 PM, 24901miles wrote: Seriously, read a little more about it. The plan is to make a structure which is more like a Yoyo, and less like a Ship's Anchor.
It still seems like an awful lot of money. There would still probably be better things to do in space than just make an elevator. Then again, if you had access to something like that, could they make their own moon colony?

The most expensive part of put anything into space it getting it into low Earth orbit. After that, you can basically coast to wherever you need to go. Granted the initial investment is massive, but once it is up the cost of putting anything else into space is significantly reduced.

Here's an example. Let's see a Space Elevator would cost $10 billion to build. At current rates it costs approximately $10,000 to put a pound of anything into space. SpaceX says it will eventually be able to launch for $4300 per pound. It is reasonable to assume that new technology and new rockets will eventually reduce this further to $1000 at some point in the future, say 2050. If a typical rocket at that time will launch with a 2000 payload that would mean $2 million per rocket.

$10 Billion / $2 million = 5,000 launches for the Space Elevator to break even as far as cost savings. Now, that may seem like a lot given the current average of approximately 120 satellites launched per year, but if current models hold true the cost of launching a pound of cargo on a space elevator would immediately drop to $100 a pound. That reduction in price along with the corresponding increase in people willing and able to launch equipment into space should significantly increase the amount of stuff being launched into space and hasten the break even point of any Space Elevator.

Once launching into Space becomes cheaper all those worthy projects we want to do in space become cheaper as well. Just by way of comparison, it cost $450 million to launch a space shuttle. Even with a completely full payload that is still over $7000 a pound and with smaller satellites like the Hubble Space Telescope the price can go as high as $18,000 per pound. Having a space elevator makes research. On a Space Elevator it would cost $2.45 million to put Hubble into low Earth orbit. That means a 99% savings on launching Science Satellites. A cost savings like that makes it much easier to do more worthwhile things in space with less money.

I know I've gone over a lot and probably lost some of you. I've also vastly oversimplified the calculations required as far as the cost savings of a space elevator, but the jist is still the same. A Space Elevator would pay for itself very quickly and make it easier for everyone to get into space. I think it's worth the money and the risk.