New Topic Respond to this Topic
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 06:36 AM Reply

At 10/28/12 05:48 AM, Painbringer wrote: I was only 12 when I first saw the classic start menu we are all familiar with...

And now it's gone - Forever.

I just hope all my start menu programs have been transferred to the new format.

So far my biggest issue is lag in Minecraft which I've never experienced before.

It isn't gone forever because they could scrap this whole Metro idea if the whole ecosystem doesn't work out. Hopefully it will because your PC, tablet, phone, and Xbox all working the same is a brilliant idea if you are able to make it work.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 07:09 AM Reply

As much as I don't like the look of Windows 8, I've been considering building a better PC with gaming in mind and I might end up going with Windows 8 as the primary OS. Usually I'd just stick a Linux distro on it but unfortunately developers and users still haven't made the transition to Linux based systems yet :(

If Linux had more support from game developers, installing Windows wouldn't even be crossing my mind but unfortunately it seems to be the only option if you want to game with relative ease.

On the plus side, I've watched a few people review Windows 8 not too long ago and while they all seemed to agree that it felt strange at first, I think they all ended up liking it once they adjusted. I haven't properly used a Windows OS since XP, so it will probably be quite a jump for me, if I do take the Windows route.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 07:18 AM Reply

The layout looks like shit but thats not a big deal for me, I dont see what the hell updating windows does anyway,

BBS Signature
Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 07:34 AM Reply

At 10/28/12 06:36 AM, Cootie wrote:
At 10/28/12 05:48 AM, Painbringer wrote: I was only 12 when I first saw the classic start menu we are all familiar with...

And now it's gone - Forever.

I just hope all my start menu programs have been transferred to the new format.

So far my biggest issue is lag in Minecraft which I've never experienced before.
It isn't gone forever because they could scrap this whole Metro idea if the whole ecosystem doesn't work out. Hopefully it will because your PC, tablet, phone, and Xbox all working the same is a brilliant idea if you are able to make it work.

I doubt they will. Honestly, I prefer metro.

At 10/28/12 07:09 AM, Dean wrote: If Linux had more support from game developers, installing Windows wouldn't even be crossing my mind but unfortunately it seems to be the only option if you want to game with relative ease.

It might get more support soon, with Steam coming out for Linux.
The beta survey came out today:
http://www.valvesoftware.com/linuxsurvey.php

On the plus side, I've watched a few people review Windows 8 not too long ago and while they all seemed to agree that it felt strange at first, I think they all ended up liking it once they adjusted. I haven't properly used a Windows OS since XP, so it will probably be quite a jump for me, if I do take the Windows route.

Yeah, the more I use it the more I like it.

Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 08:15 AM Reply

I tried Windows 8 on a laptop at a store an I hate it. The start screen sucks. Whenever I tried scrolling the screen left or right, I accidentally moved some metro icons. I really wish they would at least make the start screen a choice, so they don't piss off people that really liked the start menu. Metro would work well on a tablet PC or maybe even a laptop, but not a desktop computer. Controlling the start screen would suck with a mouse. At least with a laptop's touch pad, you can swipe it with 2 fingers to scroll left and right. Paying to be able to play DVDs is bullshit. Windows 8 sucks. I'm sticking with Windows 7.

I'm sure I will never get Windows 8 unless they fix it's problems.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 09:01 AM Reply

At 10/28/12 07:34 AM, Jolly wrote: It might get more support soon, with Steam coming out for Linux.

I was wondering when that was out. Hopefully linux support becomes more common than shitty mac support.

wildfire4461
wildfire4461
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 09:40 AM Reply

At 10/26/12 10:32 PM, Jolly wrote:

Here's a pic of the store. I doubt I'll be downloading from it much. So far everything I've downloaded has opened full screen in metro. Not good for mult-tasking. I don't think many people will use it much.

You have to download Pinball and Minesweeper for it?

That's right I like guns and ponies. Problem cocksuckers?
Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense. IMPEACH OBAMA.

BBS Signature
Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Reader
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 10:39 AM Reply

At 10/28/12 08:15 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: Paying to be able to play DVDs is bullshit.

It seems to me that while Windows Media Center costs money, you can still just download VLC Player, pop in a DVD and watch it.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
Dragen
Dragen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 10:42 AM Reply

It's not "Windows" anymore. They should call it something else. They have improved some stuff like the task manager, but it's not Windows anymore. There's no windows outside of the Desktop mode. Hope they fix it in Windows 9.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 11:09 AM Reply

At 10/28/12 07:34 AM, Jolly wrote: It might get more support soon, with Steam coming out for Linux.

Yea, Linux popularity definitely seems to be on the increase. I hear more people speaking about Linux now than I did a few years back. I'm a computer science student though, so it's probably more common for the people I'm around to be using Linux than it would be if I were around day to day users. Steam support would definitely be a good start in bringing more game developers to Linux.

I filled out that survey.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 01:36 PM Reply

Just bought Windows 8. It should be installing soon. I'll post back with results once I've tried it out a little.

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 02:45 PM Reply

At 10/28/12 09:15 AM, Rummy0 wrote: Windows 8 is about as useful as a Mac, you're only going to like it if you think Angry Birds and Cut The Rope are the pinnacle of PC gaming.
Windows is trying too hard to appeal to the mac userbase without having anything to sell to them, they don't even have the appropriate brand image, they're abandoning their main userbase and trying to gain one that wouldn't want to be seen dead with it.

PC and pretty much all electronic usage is being more and more mainstream. Once that happens they have to make sure it appeals to everyone. Microsoft is just trying to stop Apple from running all over them. I haven't tried Windows 8 yet so I can't comment on how well it works or not.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 02:47 PM Reply

At 10/28/12 02:45 PM, Cootie wrote: Microsoft is just trying to stop Apple from running all over them

If thats what Apple is trying to do, theyre not doing a very good job.

mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 03:01 PM Reply

Everytime a Windows thread comes out
Linux hipsters shake there shit around and put it down our throats

original I am.

BBS Signature
Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 03:53 PM Reply

At 10/28/12 09:40 AM, wildfire4461 wrote:
At 10/26/12 10:32 PM, Jolly wrote:

Here's a pic of the store. I doubt I'll be downloading from it much. So far everything I've downloaded has opened full screen in metro. Not good for mult-tasking. I don't think many people will use it much.
You have to download Pinball and Minesweeper for it?

Yes. I think the Microsoft version is gone.

At 10/28/12 10:39 AM, Tremulos wrote:
At 10/28/12 08:15 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: Paying to be able to play DVDs is bullshit.
It seems to me that while Windows Media Center costs money, you can still just download VLC Player, pop in a DVD and watch it.

VLC is a lot better anyway.

At 10/28/12 03:29 PM, BigBadtheBazz wrote: I heard that windows 8 is bad for indie developers. is this true? is it completely closed like I have heard?

It's not completely closed. You can still download stuff that isn't on the app store. And I wouldn't say the metro app store is bad for indie game makers at all. I'd say it's a better for indie game makers. The iOS app store isn't bad for indie game makers, is it? This is the same thing.

Scrotaculous
Scrotaculous
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Musician
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 03:55 PM Reply

Installed fast, looks great, kept all my old programs and files. I can't complain and I don't see it being a problem once you are accustomed to it.

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 04:02 PM Reply

At 10/28/12 03:53 PM, Jolly wrote: The iOS app store isn't bad for indie game makers, is it?

Actually, it is.

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 04:20 PM Reply

At 10/28/12 04:02 PM, BumFodder wrote:
At 10/28/12 03:53 PM, Jolly wrote: The iOS app store isn't bad for indie game makers, is it?
Actually, it is.

How? Doesn't everybody have a pretty equal chance of getting a lot of sales?

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 04:32 PM Reply

This is taking way longer than I thought. Hopefully it's on it's last leg of setup.

Official Windows 8 Launch Thread

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 04:36 PM Reply

Okay, so I just solved the Minecraft performance problem by changing the notebook bios setting from switchable graphics to discrete graphics mode.

Chances are that updating the bios could help get switchable graphics working again.

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 06:01 PM Reply

I've been playing around with this for about 25 minutes and I actually really like it so far. Once there's more support for apps, this OS is really going to be snazzy.

BBS Signature
k6ka
k6ka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 09:04 PM Reply

A lot of people have commented that Windows 8 has ruined the old "Windows" feel. There's no this, no that. The layout is mainly suited for touchscreen, but a lot of people still use the traditional mouse and keyboard.

I quite doubt I'll ever buy Windows 8, as Windows 7 is fine for me, being a big step from crappy Vista.

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 29th, 2012 @ 04:53 AM Reply

Hey, It appears that Microsoft hasn't (completely) gotten rid of the classic start menu after all...

Link.

Chances are that if Windows 8 turns out to be another "bad" release, then they might put back the old start menu in Windows 9 (or whatever they decide to call it).

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 29th, 2012 @ 05:40 AM Reply

At 10/29/12 04:53 AM, Painbringer wrote: Hey, It appears that Microsoft hasn't (completely) gotten rid of the classic start menu after all...

Link.

Chances are that if Windows 8 turns out to be another "bad" release, then they might put back the old start menu in Windows 9 (or whatever they decide to call it).

How can anybody prefer that over the new metro start menu?

The metro start menu is so much better than the previous start menu. I think most people dislike it just because they can't deal with change. There are bad things about metro.. but as a start menu it's much better.

RyanBustersword123
RyanBustersword123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 29th, 2012 @ 12:11 PM Reply

At 10/29/12 10:55 AM, MikeyS9607 wrote: 40 EURO! Holy shit that's cheap. I might actually get it. Is it compatible with like Steam and shit?

Might want to hold back on that...
Gabe Newell expressed his hate for Windows 8. Hell, I couldn't find anything good to hear from the professional game developers about Windows 8.

Scrotaculous
Scrotaculous
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Musician
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 29th, 2012 @ 12:13 PM Reply

The only thing I can't possibly criticize is having to go to desktop mode in internet explorer to view certain flash content, and this affects newgrounds. The flash movies load fine, but the audio portal requires desktop mode. I wonder if there is a way newgrounds can fix this since your flash movies are not affected.

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 31st, 2012 @ 03:52 AM Reply

One great thing about Windows 8 I discovered is that all my old 32-bit Windows 95/98 games run a lot better and without any of the old problems (bad colors, game crashes, fast scroll rate, etc) from previous Windows versions.

Sadly, my 16-bit Windows 95 and older games are still unsupported on a 64-bit OS.

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 31st, 2012 @ 04:02 AM Reply

At 10/29/12 12:11 PM, RyanBustersword123 wrote:
At 10/29/12 10:55 AM, MikeyS9607 wrote: 40 EURO! Holy shit that's cheap. I might actually get it. Is it compatible with like Steam and shit?
Might want to hold back on that...
Gabe Newell expressed his hate for Windows 8. Hell, I couldn't find anything good to hear from the professional game developers about Windows 8.

It's basically a store for mobile apps that are also compatible with desktop/laptop computers. Most people probably aren't going to want to use the metro apps on their PCs. I don't think it's going to affect the PC gaming market much at all.

At 10/31/12 03:52 AM, Painbringer wrote: Sadly, my 16-bit Windows 95 and older games are still unsupported on a 64-bit OS.

Have you tried using compatibility mode?

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 31st, 2012 @ 04:07 AM Reply

The only thing I've had problems with is Skype. Steam works perfectly fine on Windows 8. There's some minor issues with some programs and games but they aren't too big. I haven't been able to get on Skype on Windows 8 and Amnesia froze up a few times. Everything else has worked perfectly fine. It'll work better once it's been out a bit longer.

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread Oct. 31st, 2012 @ 04:21 AM Reply

At 10/31/12 04:02 AM, Jolly wrote: Have you tried using compatibility mode?

Do you take me for an idiot???

No amount of compatibility mode can make Castle of the Winds or SimCopter install/run in 64-bit Windows.