New Topic Respond to this Topic
SeniorWolfy
SeniorWolfy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Animator
Laptop Fuzz 2012-09-25 17:11:46 Reply

i'm a noob. I'm using audacity on my laptop and my laptop has loads of fuzz -see here- Any way to get rid of it? I tried noise removal but not avail.

You goina pet me or what? | My Animation Cave | Aren't I your favorite? |

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Laptop Fuzz 2012-09-25 17:17:25 Reply

It sounds to me like your mic is unable to pick up the full range of the human voice by default... so your going to have that slightly slurred and low-fi sound regardless of what you do in post, unless that was just a really really compressed version of your recording you threw up there.

Consider playing around with the denoiser options... try different cutoffs and such- don't expect the default to be right (ever... with anything)! Approach things like this as problems that need to be solved- try all sorts of functions and tools and pipelines and eventually you will find one that works. With audio, there is almost never a 'just do this' that will always fix your recording problems... especially because the idea of 'fixing' problems in already recorded material is not really true, even with EQ and compression and every other tool there is.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Laptop Fuzz 2012-09-25 17:34:25 Reply

At 9/25/12 05:11 PM, SeniorWolfy wrote: i'm a noob. I'm using audacity on my laptop and my laptop has loads of fuzz -see here- Any way to get rid of it? I tried noise removal but not avail.

Get an external soundcard. You might find some really cheap ones but with a better quality.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=usb_audio_interfaces&oa =pra
You may find something under 30 EUR.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Laptop Fuzz 2012-09-25 18:46:33 Reply

... Or buy a cheap mic with a "noise cancelation mic" like one of these:
http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_head sets

I use one I bought for about $50 and with a bit of tinkering I get very, very clean audio.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Laptop Fuzz 2012-09-25 19:33:21 Reply

What mic are you using? And for gods sake don't say "the one built in/ that came with the laptop."

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Laptop Fuzz 2012-09-26 00:53:31 Reply

At 9/25/12 07:33 PM, sweet21 wrote: What mic are you using? And for gods sake don't say "the one built in/ that came with the laptop."

Ikr. It is his laptop mic I bet. Lol

And about my name - Yeah I get that a lot and I'm not bothered, at least that makes it memorable! You're not likely to forget a guy called "mental retard" are you?! Any kind of press is good press.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
RobSoundtrack
RobSoundtrack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Laptop Fuzz 2012-09-26 17:44:59 Reply

In the event you ARE using a laptop mic, consider the following

lots of noise is basically boosted little noise (and dc offset but lets just stick with basics)

Simple principles can help

Get closer to your mic. (Yes you will get the proximity effect but that can be corrected and again, lets stay basic)
Closer is louder
Louder needs less boost
Less boost means less noise

Just don't clip your inputs

BBS Signature