• Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 00:03:16 Reply

Interesting. Very interesting.

FUCK change!

Next thing you know, the NG Cha--- er... the Literature Portal will actually be finished.

It's time to get pissed off.

Metallica1136
Metallica1136
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 00:21:42 Reply

At 9/25/12 03:32 PM, Viper50 wrote: It feels weird having it that small, but i'll get used to it eventually.
looks adorable though

Agreed. It's just strange for it to be THAT small after it being traditionally big for years, but, I think I'm already getting used to it lol. I didn't even notice the header changed until I saw the news post, lol

Searching for the answers. There's a universe inside us all. Every passing lifetime. Important as the last.

Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 00:53:08 Reply

I got bored with Photoshop, did I win the internets?

New Header

cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 01:11:44 Reply

At 9/26/12 12:53 AM, Xaotik wrote: I got bored with Photoshop, did I win the internets?

1 would works awesome, though it may ultimately be too cluttered feeling. I think the rest would be too tight to really flow with the rest of the layout. They all look nice though standalone!

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 01:17:28 Reply

At 9/26/12 01:11 AM, cast wrote:
1 would works awesome, though it may ultimately be too cluttered feeling. I think the rest would be too tight to really flow with the rest of the layout. They all look nice though standalone!

Scratch that, they all work pretty well actually. LOL

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 01:23:27 Reply

It looks OK. I liked the one before better, but if that's what you think is best... yup. It looks kinda more modern.

Btw, I don't think a lot of people visit this site from mobile. Most devices (like iOS) does not support Flash. And those who support it (Android etc) is not good to play with.

Maybe you guys should make support for HTML5 and encurage people to make games supporting mobile devices too?

cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 01:33:38 Reply

I want this plz.

New Header

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Gamer
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 01:35:52 Reply

In all seriousness though this is the direction that you want to be moving towards when it comes to redesigning Newgrounds for the handheld/mobile experience.

To be quite honest though the front page is still a dizzying experience. I feel so visually confused and overstimulated when I look at it.

A very simplified "minimalist" experience of the front page is crucial for handhelds because of the very dimensions of those devices people now-a-days use. This is something that is independent of any website itself.

We have to think of the fine details of the core differences between the desktop and mobile experiences versus the desktop experience. We have to think about how that flow between mobile experiences & desktop experience influences the way we code. For instance, when I'm using Newgrounds on my laptop (i.e. "The Desktop Experience") the CSS command hover works properly when my cursor over the navigation bar. I hover my cursor over "Games" and out scrolls out a list of options that I can choose from: "Latest", "Greatest", "Popular", ...etc. etc.

If I try to do the same thing on my Nexus 7 it takes me straight to the "http://www.newgrounds.com/games" page by default.

I wish I had more devices to test with but, alas I am just a poor boy and nobody loves me. He's just a poor boy from a poor family. Spare him his life from this monstrosity. Easy come easy go - will you let me go. Bismillah! No - we will not let you go - let him go - Bismillah! We will not let you go - let him go - Bismillah! We will not let you go - let me go - Will - not let you go - let me go (never) - Never let you go - let me go - Never let me go - ooo - No, no, no, no, no, no, no - -Oh mama mia, mama mia, mama mia let me go - Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me - for me - for me

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 02:27:05 Reply

At 9/26/12 12:53 AM, Xaotik wrote: I got bored with Photoshop, did I win the internets?

They're awesome. Now all you need is a script which replaces the photo with one of yours.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 02:27:10 Reply

I really love the bigger one... how about use the small one for mobile viewing if that is possible.

Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 02:33:03 Reply

Maybe it's because I'm tired and it's 2:33 AM, but I didn't even notice it. I wouldn't have, unless I read this thread.
It's nice, all cool.

Dora's Bike | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
Dawnslayer
Dawnslayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 03:41:31 Reply

It's okay. I'd be lamenting how it looks horrible on the screen of a real computer, but we'll be phasing those out in five years anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

f12guy
f12guy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 05:49:00 Reply

It's a bit small but we all have to get used to it eventually.

Does anyone actually read these?

nconde25
nconde25
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Animator
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 06:30:04 Reply

There are missing features or broken features on the site since the redesign yet...

/Siggy sig

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 06:46:36 Reply

At 9/26/12 03:41 AM, Dawnslayer wrote: but we'll be phasing those out in five years anyway

Joke of the year gentlemen

BBS Signature
simon
simon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 07:02:52 Reply

Compact is always a good thing!

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Playstation ID: SCParry || Steam ID: GNS_SimpLe
3DS Friend Code: 2878-9581-7218 || Nintendo ID: SCParry

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 09:11:00 Reply

At 9/26/12 07:44 AM, Amaranthus wrote: So they're gonna change the logo shirts too?
GODDAMNED

Well in that case I need to order one.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 09:58:23 Reply

At 9/25/12 08:36 PM, cast wrote: I think it looks better like this personally. It takes qualities from the oldschool as well as the modernized logo and combines them into something totally slick and fresh.

Hmmm maybe the side COULD use some more highlights like that - I'll be sure JohnnyUtah sees this and we'll discuss.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 10:03:23 Reply

These do look pretty... I like how the current version has more breathing room, the slogan always felt claustrophobic to me.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 10:03:41 Reply

At 9/26/12 10:03 AM, TomFulp wrote:
These do look pretty... I like how the current version has more breathing room, the slogan always felt claustrophobic to me.

Forgot to mention, I'll be tinkering with these in some mockups.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 10:05:34 Reply

At 9/26/12 01:23 AM, Rawnern wrote: Maybe you guys should make support for HTML5 and encurage people to make games supporting mobile devices too?

Been working towards that, getting there soon.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 10:10:47 Reply

At 9/26/12 01:35 AM, ExtraLife wrote: In all seriousness though this is the direction that you want to be moving towards when it comes to redesigning Newgrounds for the handheld/mobile experience.

That is all stuff we're planning to address. A mobile nav shouldn't have ANY rollover states, everything should be one click. A page of content will likely be a single column of one submission per row, with a nice big click area.

One thing that I'm still a little unsure of is how we handle these defaults... For example if we just removed rollover states for mobile, the current NG layout would work pretty well on an iPad. So would people want to browse the same NG they do now, or would they want to be redirected to a mobile version that moves everything around. If we don't redirect and just give them a mobile link to click, will that just be an extra step that most people never complete... etc.

There's also the content issue - we can create filters to default an iPhone user to listings that only work on their phone. But what if that user just wants to check in on something that would have been filtered out - like to see if their Flash made the front page or how many views it has. They could toggle those filters to go to a normal view, but any time you give people toggles and filters like that, the majority of users never make use of them - so it all comes down to the default experience you offer people.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 10:12:41 Reply

At 9/26/12 06:30 AM, nconde25 wrote: There are missing features or broken features on the site since the redesign yet...

Aesthetic changes like this aren't really getting in the way of that end of the site.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 11:04:50 Reply

At 9/26/12 10:38 AM, Amaranthus wrote: So, this is the new logo?
The shirts, stickers and such will get updated?

Will likely get some tuning before putting the hi-res version into print but eventually we'll move ahead!

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 11:09:59 Reply

I can barely notice it anymore Tom, make it more shiny or something , I mean just pump that bitch up, maybe make a GIF of some acid shit going through it.

original I am.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 11:30:40 Reply

At 9/26/12 11:09 AM, mandog wrote: I can barely notice it anymore Tom, make it more shiny or something , I mean just pump that bitch up, maybe make a GIF of some acid shit going through it.

Ok I think I solved it:

New Header

BBS Signature
Dosensuppen
Dosensuppen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Animator
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 11:41:34 Reply

It's fine. Doesn't really bother me. I'm still more concerned about this use of the bright, irritating syrupy background. The Madness grey wall-art (due to its color) fit sooooo much better.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature
Celx-Requin
Celx-Requin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 11:53:45 Reply

I think it's sexy...

Watch Shark Black HERE Watch CoolJaw HERE

BBS Signature
Mattster
Mattster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 12:57:08 Reply

At 9/26/12 11:30 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/26/12 11:09 AM, mandog wrote: I can barely notice it anymore Tom, make it more shiny or something , I mean just pump that bitch up, maybe make a GIF of some acid shit going through it.
Ok I think I solved it:

Those better be animated.

Little-Rena
Little-Rena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to New Header 2012-09-26 13:15:05 Reply

I liked the big one, Newgrounds has started looking more professional all of a sudden! I want to old one back!