00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Audio Title

1,685 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Audio Title 2012-09-24 06:19:49

I been having trouble coming up with names for my audio tracks. I come up with names that doesn't make since and goes with the song. I don't know. I was just wondering how you come with audio title.

Hi! - I make music as a hobby. I also like anime and video games :3

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Title 2012-09-24 06:34:49

Gonna assume you don't make songs with lyrics (in which case coming up with a title is super easy). I like to come up with either a single, fitting word that looks kinda cool, or some sort of catchy alliteration, or I just find some unusual or sciency words that kinda stand out. If you just sit down and think "what is the deal with this song, what's the theme, what makes it stand out?" for a few minutes, usually something good will pop up after a little while.

I'll excuse myself to the audio advertisements thread now yeah

Response to Audio Title 2012-09-24 07:17:36

At 9/24/12 06:34 AM, Buoy wrote: Gonna assume you don't make songs with lyrics (in which case coming up with a title is super easy). I like to come up with either a single, fitting word that looks kinda cool, or some sort of catchy alliteration, or I just find some unusual or sciency words that kinda stand out. If you just sit down and think "what is the deal with this song, what's the theme, what makes it stand out?" for a few minutes, usually something good will pop up after a little while.

dude! thanks for the advice. I recently came up with a song name Osprey. I had no idea what I was thinking.

Hi! - I make music as a hobby. I also like anime and video games :3

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Title 2012-09-24 08:05:31

Sometimes with my music a single word or a phrase might jump out at me and seem to fit. I was in a bookstore once and happened to see a book titled "Dead Beat." I named one of my songs after it, as it seemed to fit(I make mostly old school-style hip hop beats).

Response to Audio Title 2012-09-24 08:22:23

Generally, one-word titles fit really well. They're my preferred kind of titles, since they usually leave the track's meaning open for interpretation more than having a phrase. And let's admit they usually sound very cool.

This might help you by the way.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Title 2012-09-24 08:55:31

Wikipedia -> Random article

Response to Audio Title 2012-09-24 08:58:31

At 9/24/12 08:55 AM, Blackhole12 wrote: Wikipedia -> Random article

Thank you, I was wondering what the hell to name my new emotional rock ballad.

1748 English cricket season it is.

Response to Audio Title 2012-09-24 09:03:12

At 9/24/12 08:58 AM, Buoy wrote: Thank you, I was wondering what the hell to name my new emotional rock ballad.

1748 English cricket season it is.

Naw man use the site I linked to. I managed to generate a very tasteful assortment of ballad-related titles.

Ballad Orgy. You know you want to.

Audio Title

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Title 2012-09-24 09:24:54

At 9/24/12 09:03 AM, Step wrote:
Ballad Orgy. You know you want to.

Oh my god. I fell out of my chair laughing. I have to make a song called that.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Title 2012-09-24 13:20:13

Oh boy, my new ambient song is going to be Tawny Flanked Prinia

Response to Audio Title 2012-09-24 13:37:00

Since this is Newgrounds, you just have to name each song a different synonym of the word "penis"

If you run out, do the same thing for "boobs"

Instant success.

But in all seriousness, I usually just go the one-word route. I pick something that fits the feel of the song and don't really think about it. Leaves it open to interpretation.

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--

Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

Response to Audio Title 2012-09-24 13:53:19

At 9/24/12 01:37 PM, AetherX wrote: Since this is Newgrounds, you just have to name each song a different synonym of the word "penis"

Or throw 'penis' in a song name generator.

Audio Title

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Title 2012-09-24 15:54:57

I don't usually have any trouble coming up with names for songs because each song, even if it has no lyrics, has a strong message or story behind it.
"Assassination of the Indiscriminate Mind"
"Burden of Dreams"
"Another Stab at Apathy"

Titles like that. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if your music truly has a meaning then its title should be natural for you. Maybe you need to change your approach to writing music as what you're experiencing is only a problem with a result of a process and not actually looking into what's causing it.

Just my thoughts of course, I may be completely wrong.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Title 2012-09-24 19:03:38

Definitely digging up an old project file and uploading it with the name Boobs Reloaded. This is the greatest thing ever invented (another good random one: "Erotic Firecracker").

Audio Title

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--

Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

Response to Audio Title 2012-09-29 13:20:54

If you're having trouble, perhaps you could give these a shot:
I. After creating the song, listen to it very carefully. Any patterns or noticeable themes come to mind?
II. Reflect on why you made the song in the first place and see if that elicits any feelings.
III. Use your imagination. Yes, your imagination. You'll be pleasantly surprised what you can come up with.
IV. Draw inspiration from other song titles or perhaps your favorite artist. Don't simply take a title and rearrange it or whatever.
V. Personalize it. Draw from your own experience.

I tend to blend my own experiences with my imagination (a lot) when thinking of song titles. Remember this though...No matter what you, the artist, or anyone else may think, your songs are meaningful to you. Don't forget that. Have a good one! :)

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:

[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature