New Topic Respond to this Topic
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 02:48 PM Reply

Little cheat for shading, use a flashlight with a mannequin. I love having a photographic memory.

Absinthe's Art

So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition so click the image to be sent there.

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 04:25 PM Reply

Hi. You really have nice studies here. I especially like your studies on women. Say, did you use references for that? Either way it's a nice exercise to familiarize yourself with anatomy. It shows how much effort you're willing to exert to better your skills. Although I can't shake off that feeling I get that your art appears like incomplete sketches. Your drawings basically lack proper tonal rendering to make it look complete so to speak.

Also, when you sketch poses, they look really nice. Although the problems start appearing when you actually put in the details. I don't know if you want to go into realism and whatnot, but there are slight anatomical distortions. I'm talking mostly about how huge your hands are, and also how distorted your heads are at some areas. When I say "distorted" I'm talking about your heads not having proper joints that connect it to the neck. It looks unnatural to say the least. Especially this drawing.

Other than that I think you'll turn great if you keep up with your current attitude.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Absinthe's Art Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 04:27 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 02:22 PM, Absinthe wrote: Alright so I decided to lay off on another user and his stupid antics that are in regards to making women look like stiff mannequins with no emotional purpose by getting back into the swing of things.

Take notes Hiryu. Women like to use their body to be sexual

Standing still = boring

Duly noted. However, keep in mind that I am doing concept design work right now. I ain't trying anything fancy until I can draw the characters I design by heart, but yeah, I will take notes.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 04:43 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 04:25 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Your drawings basically lack proper tonal rendering to make it look complete so to speak.

I totally get that and that's why I feel this thread has been brushed under the rug, my art is just not "finished" but I'm just kind of daunted by rendering.

I need to master the basics of creation before I can add style. The thing is that I'm not sure what my "style" is and I just feel empty headed when I try and go into the direction I want. The head floaty thing is usually hit or miss with me unless I use a mannequin or cylinders.

So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition so click the image to be sent there.

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 04:47 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 04:27 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
Duly noted. However, keep in mind that I am doing concept design work right now. I ain't trying anything fancy until I can draw the characters I design by heart, but yeah, I will take notes.

That's great, just keep the stuff about your improvement in your thread and not here. I don't mind helping you if you just abide by the forum rules. so for instance you wouldn't respond to this with a follow-up, you would just PM me. I'm just making this post in regards to newer Art Forum goers who feel the need to derail.

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 02:35 AM Reply

I feel like I'm in a rut so I decided to watch some One Piece and possibly eyeball a cool moment.

Here's my "process" I draw a huge mess of circles and cylinders on a layer I call "the bitch layer" where I can be as messy as I want to get things in place. The next layer is my "refined layer" where I clean-up and make choices of where I want the final lines to be and maybe do some crosshatching and get an idea where the colors will go and how dark they will be. Third layer is my actual line-art layer where I pop it into sai (not shown below) and use vector lines to get crisp result.

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Nov. 19th, 2012 @ 12:18 AM Reply

Female practice

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Nov. 19th, 2012 @ 01:25 AM Reply

I establish a very prominent color to help set down basic colors.

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Nov. 20th, 2012 @ 12:40 AM Reply

Trying to work on something without black lines so I'll be painting over and under this...Enjoy the Giant Monkey.

Oh and here's some awesome music

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Absinthe's Art Nov. 20th, 2012 @ 01:04 AM Reply

At 11/19/12 12:18 AM, Absinthe wrote: Female practice

I need to be doing practices like this. Keep it up, neat poses.

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Nov. 20th, 2012 @ 02:27 AM Reply

I'm gonna google some painting tuts on PSDtuts.com

This looks really bad

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Absinthe's Art Nov. 20th, 2012 @ 09:10 AM Reply

At 11/20/12 02:27 AM, Absinthe wrote: I'm gonna google some painting tuts on PSDtuts.com
This looks really bad

Is this from Dragonball, when Goku and friends are captured by Emperor Pilaf, and he goes Oozaru?

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Nov. 20th, 2012 @ 01:19 PM Reply

At 11/20/12 09:10 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
Is this from Dragonball, when Goku and friends are captured by Emperor Pilaf, and he goes Oozaru?

Exactly, I'm trying to understand how the creators painted that scene, so I'm trying to block in colors and what not.

Anyway while I'm working on that here's a pic I did a while back when I had more mojo.

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 02:14 AM Reply

Some pretty cool stances that I'm going to refine.

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 04:44 AM Reply

At 12/1/12 02:14 AM, Absinthe wrote: Some pretty cool stances that I'm going to refine.

These are pretty cool. Hey I have a question I'd like to ask. What program do you use to draw? These are pretty neat sketches. Hey have you tried using tonal rendering yet? I mean it does wonders to make a drawing come to life. But you don't have to do that if you deem it unnecessary.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Psionic3D
Psionic3D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Game Developer
Response to Absinthe's Art Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 08:07 AM Reply

It's great to see your progress throughout this thread and your enthusiasm is inspiring...

gonna go do some sketches myself ;-)

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 07:41 PM Reply

At 12/1/12 04:44 AM, Fifty-50 wrote:
These are pretty cool. Hey I have a question I'd like to ask. What program do you use to draw? These are pretty neat sketches. Hey have you tried using tonal rendering yet? I mean it does wonders to make a drawing come to life. But you don't have to do that if you deem it unnecessary.

I use Photoshop CS6 for sketching with a cheap wacom bamboo, and sometimes PT Sai for linework. I actually have this hard cover book by Scott Altmann called "How to Draw, Fantasy Style," which goes through the principles of art and his work flow. I bought in London for 5GBP and it's a pretty interesting read.

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:31 AM Reply

Now I must practice painting. I have to watch/play some games that have the style I want because I really didn't have a direction with this aside from just doing practice. So the end result is literally the most random thing I could come up with, and no, there is no meaning.

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Absinthe's Art Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 08:48 AM Reply

At 12/2/12 12:31 AM, Absinthe wrote: Now I must practice painting. I have to watch/play some games that have the style I want because I really didn't have a direction with this aside from just doing practice. So the end result is literally the most random thing I could come up with, and no, there is no meaning.

Hey man, these should be sweet! You'll find this video super helpful I hope, well, I'm sure you will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xldrl3kl-aw

It's all about painting characters over linework, so relevancy is abundant here.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 03:43 PM Reply

At 12/2/12 08:48 AM, Otto wrote:
It's all about painting characters over linework, so relevancy is abundant here.

As I'm trying to re-create this scene from Death Note, I'm watching the video. I just really need to get to the line art phase, which is going to take me a while with all this scribble phases.

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:42 PM Reply

L vs Kira

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 08:15 PM Reply

I never throw things away....Probably because I have several hard-drives.

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 12:13 AM Reply

Alright so I was able to get some free time this weekend to work on some new pictures to post, I'm not going to make excuses for why I haven't been able to keep up with my art. Bio is my main priority right now, but I really want to learn and master anatomy.

So what I was able to do this weekend was spend a few hours reading some Anatomy and drawing books (the school is heavy on art) and absorb a great deal of information. Shitty thing is that it's going to be closed on Sunday due to Easter, so here's some of my work I was able to do.

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 12:14 AM Reply

My scanner makes my images too bright so I had to adjust the histograms for levels and hue

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 12:16 AM Reply

I really wanted to replicate this amazing full-range of motion picture by Burne Hogarth, it was in the preface so it would show my current ability to physically reproduce what I see.

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 12:17 AM Reply

It really wouldn't be a practice session without gestures, this time I gave them shirts.

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 12:48 AM Reply

More poses

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 12:49 AM Reply

Dear god I just couldn't help myself!

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 12:51 AM Reply

I was studying some Biology, here's some notes of knowledge.

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Absinthe's Art Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 12:52 AM Reply

Yeah I think I made this chick look like Madonna

Absinthe's Art

BBS Signature