Be a Supporter!
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:52 PM Reply

So I've started smoking one of those new electric cigarettes (picture below) and although I have to admit it does help you cut down on the real ones quite a lot there are one or two draw backs. Firstly the charge on them doesn't last long so it's hard to take out with you and be able to use it all day unless you're willing to take the charger with you and find an available USB port. Secondly, you have to suck so hard to get anything out of them and after a while it really starts to hurt your throat.

Anyway, I'm posting this to ask what other smokers views on them are. Have you tried one? Do you think it's an effective way of cutting down/quitting? Or do you think it's just easier to use other methods like patches or gum? Let me know your views Newgrounds.

Electric Cigs

I said no to drugs but they just wouldn't listen.
Like Page///Art Thread///Latest Art Piece

BBS Signature
Strength
Strength
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 01:01 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 12:52 PM, Decky wrote: Anyway, I'm posting this to ask what other smokers views on them are. Have you tried one? Do you think it's an effective way of cutting down/quitting? Or do you think it's just easier to use other methods like patches or gum? Let me know your views Newgrounds.

i had a pretty top notch one about 2 years ago, don't remember the name - but about 2 months after using it i said fuck this and went back to smoking marlboros. the electric cigs are nice but the truth is they're nothing like actual cigarettes, which is the main problem.

ok

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 01:16 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 01:01 PM, Strength wrote: but the truth is they're nothing like actual cigarettes, which is the main problem.
At 9/23/12 12:52 PM, Decky wrote: Firstly the charge on them doesn't last long so it's hard to take out with you
Secondly, you have to suck so hard to get anything out of them and after a while it really starts to hurt your throat.

That's the point. Electronic ciggies are meant to kill your addiction.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 01:26 PM Reply

Hurts your throat? You have to suck really hard to get anything? You must be using some really shitty quality one. My friend bought one so he could smoke in long college lessons and at home, instead of getting one to quit, and he loved it. No problems at all, except that they're very expensive.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 01:28 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 01:16 PM, jjjkuk wrote:
At 9/23/12 01:01 PM, Strength wrote: but the truth is they're nothing like actual cigarettes, which is the main problem.
At 9/23/12 12:52 PM, Decky wrote: Firstly the charge on them doesn't last long so it's hard to take out with you
Secondly, you have to suck so hard to get anything out of them and after a while it really starts to hurt your throat.

Yeah not by making you rather have a real cigarette over a pretend one. If they're not going to be anything as good as, then they're not doing their job properly.

BBS Signature
HungarianSupermarket
HungarianSupermarket
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Audiophile
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 01:51 PM Reply

I have one. It is neat.It did not help me quit because it is illegal to sell nicotine cartriges in Australia. Nice to sit around and "smoke" at night when I am browsing the internet though. Can't take it places because the battery will not last a day. And I have to be honest, I can't remember if I put on an apple or tobacco flavoured cartrige because they both taste like smoke machines smell.

This is filler text.
The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature
Strength
Strength
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 01:58 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 01:16 PM, jjjkuk wrote:

i don't view e-cigs as addiction killers. if anything, they're a substitute. if someone really wants to quit smoking electronic cigarettes are not the way to go.

ok

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:18 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 01:58 PM, Strength wrote: i don't view e-cigs as addiction killers. if anything, they're a substitute. if someone really wants to quit smoking electronic cigarettes are not the way to go.

Yea, but at least it helps in some way. You can go cold turkey or do it step by step.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
HungarianSupermarket
HungarianSupermarket
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Audiophile
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:25 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 02:20 PM, hiddeninthecrowd wrote:
At 9/23/12 01:51 PM, HungarianSupermarket wrote: it is illegal to sell nicotine cartriges in Australia.
why is australia so restrictive

Something to do with the lack of research done on e-cigs. Though to be fair I'm pretty sure liquid nicotine is a pretty potent poison, right? More to the point though, it's probably more to do with the shit ton of money the goverment gets from taxing cigarettes. A pack of 20s can cost around $16.

This is filler text.

BBS Signature
ClearlyConfused
ClearlyConfused
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:38 PM Reply

Why don't you refocus all that time on finding a good electric cigarette to cleaning up that shit hole you call a dwelling.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:17 PM Reply

That just seems like a huge waste of money to me. Just quit cold turkey through sheer will. I know some people who smoked a carton a week, and they were able to just say "I am going to quit" and never pick up another one again. No gum, no e-cigs, just wanting to quit.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:19 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 03:17 PM, Cootie wrote: That just seems like a huge waste of money to me. Just quit cold turkey through sheer will. I know some people who smoked a carton a week, and they were able to just say "I am going to quit" and never pick up another one again. No gum, no e-cigs, just wanting to quit.

Thing is though it takes a certain type of person to want to quit. I wanted to quit once, and did for around half a year (until summer holidays and festival season began) because it got so depressing not enjoying my rollies. Thing is even though I know I should stop again, I just don't want to that much.

BBS Signature
5tarboy
5tarboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:32 PM Reply

The 'smoke' is water vapour, enough of that in your lungs will cause ammonia.

Gramiscus
Gramiscus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:43 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 03:32 PM, 5tarboy wrote: The 'smoke' is water vapour, enough of that in your lungs will cause ammonia.

Holy transmogrification Batman! Turning water into ammonia!
CALL SCIENCE IMMEDIATELY

I go to school to study how high frequency sound waves can heal, ...or KILL.

MatthewF
MatthewF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:52 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 02:25 PM, HungarianSupermarket wrote: Something to do with the lack of research done on e-cigs. Though to be fair I'm pretty sure liquid nicotine is a pretty potent poison, right? More to the point though, it's probably more to do with the shit ton of money the goverment gets from taxing cigarettes. A pack of 20s can cost around $16.

I know in most places in America you still are not allowed to smoke the e-cig even though they release no carcinogen. I swear the health department is trying to make cigs so difficult to smoke that they will essentially be outlawed. That is unless you smoke them alone in a house or vacant building.

Excuse me, I'm looking for a car that's been tricked out to look like an ice cream truck.
I could use a strapping young man to do some chores around the house!
AHHH! JACKPOT!

BBS Signature
HungarianSupermarket
HungarianSupermarket
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Audiophile
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:13 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 03:17 PM, Cootie wrote: That just seems like a huge waste of money to me. Just quit cold turkey through sheer will. I know some people who smoked a carton a week, and they were able to just say "I am going to quit" and never pick up another one again. No gum, no e-cigs, just wanting to quit.

How much and how often were you smoking?

At 9/23/12 04:52 PM, MatthewF wrote: I know in most places in America you still are not allowed to smoke the e-cig even though they release no carcinogen. I swear the health department is trying to make cigs so difficult to smoke that they will essentially be outlawed. That is unless you smoke them alone in a house or vacant building.

I wouldn't use an e-cig inside in a bar or restaurant or whatever simply out of politeness. Even though it doesn't release anything harmful it does have a slight smell and I don't want to be "that guy" distracting everyone. There's no laws against using an e-cig whereever you want but I can totally understand if individual establishments would ban people from doing it there.

This is filler text.

BBS Signature
Yert
Yert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:15 PM Reply

unfiltered cigarettes are clearly the superior way to get nicotine into your body

that harsh rough smoke and that buzz and that taste omg it's so good

wreckr
wreckr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:22 PM Reply

I don't smoke, but I've been hearing a lot about the electronic cigarettes. So far, everything I have heard has been very good, but then there are articles like this that refute what I have heard from word of mouth.

BBS Signature
Yert
Yert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:26 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 08:22 PM, wreckr wrote: I don't smoke, but I've been hearing a lot about the electronic cigarettes. So far, everything I have heard has been very good, but then there are articles like this that refute what I have heard from word of mouth.

i'm pretty sure e-cigs aren't as bad for you as that article makes them seem. i mean it's just like water and nicotine vapor ffs

even if they are noticeably bad for you i'm sure they're way way way healthier than consuming tobacco in any other way except for maybe nasal snuff

ChokeAvitch
ChokeAvitch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:41 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 08:26 PM, Yert wrote:
At 9/23/12 08:22 PM, wreckr wrote: I don't smoke, but I've been hearing a lot about the electronic cigarettes. So far, everything I have heard has been very good, but then there are articles like this that refute what I have heard from word of mouth.
i'm pretty sure e-cigs aren't as bad for you as that article makes them seem. i mean it's just like water and nicotine vapor ffs

even if they are noticeably bad for you i'm sure they're way way way healthier than consuming tobacco in any other way except for maybe nasal snuff

hey yert, you're from the south too. do kids chew tobacco during class and just spit it on the carpet, like I've seen here?

Yert
Yert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:45 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 08:41 PM, ChokeAvitch wrote: hey yert, you're from the south too. do kids chew tobacco during class and just spit it on the carpet, like I've seen here?

nah, never seen anyone using tobacco at school

Piggler
Piggler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Artist
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:13 PM Reply

The effects of inhaling liquid nicotine are largely untested.

But e-cigs just aren't as good as real cigarettes. If I have an e-cig I'll keep smoking it until the cartridge is empty because it doesn't turn to ash.

Tobacco companies should ideally just make cigarettes with fewer additives, but that's not gonna happen, so seriously, either stop smoking or buy a pack of cigarettes.

BBS Signature
Yert
Yert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:21 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 09:13 PM, Piggler wrote: Tobacco companies should ideally just make cigarettes with fewer additives,

those additives are most likely essential things from the tobacco curing process, and tobacco is a strong deliriant and easily lethal if uncured. there's also some additives in there to make it burn better. i'm p sure some of the pesticides used while it was growing to keep away all the bugs that tobacco attracts are also leftover in the final product

so basically most of those additives are necessary

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:24 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 09:21 PM, Yert wrote: those additives are most likely essential things from the tobacco curing process, and tobacco is a strong deliriant and easily lethal if uncured. there's also some additives in there to make it burn better. i'm p sure some of the pesticides used while it was growing to keep away all the bugs that tobacco attracts are also leftover in the final product

They do put a lot more stuff in to cure it but im pretty sure the additives are just to make it addictive.

Yert
Yert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Electric Cigs Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:30 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 09:24 PM, BumFodder wrote:
At 9/23/12 09:21 PM, Yert wrote: those additives are most likely essential things from the tobacco curing process, and tobacco is a strong deliriant and easily lethal if uncured. there's also some additives in there to make it burn better. i'm p sure some of the pesticides used while it was growing to keep away all the bugs that tobacco attracts are also leftover in the final product

They do put a lot more stuff in to cure it but im pretty sure the additives are just to make it addictive.

yea, that too. especially the MAOI's in cigarettes which basically works with your brain and the nicotine to facilitate an addiction, and in most cigarettes there are a lot of additives that make it burn faster so you will subconsciously want to smoke more

anyway if you want to get a cigarette that has the lowest amount of additives/carcinogens then you should get natural american spirits, pretty much the best cigarettes ever, one cigarette lasts like 10 minutes and is much more satisfying of a cigarette than any other one i've tried. they advertise as having no additives at all, i'm not sure if that's true, but i'm sure they have way less than other brands

i don't even know what im rambling on about at this point w/e