Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Remember The Days Of Cpu Freedom? Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 06:46 PM Reply

It was the 1990s:

Both Intel and AMD, as well as all the other manufacturers, all shared the same sockets, and any CPU could be overclocked at the flip of a jumper or bios setting - Some even well beyond their rated speed!

Why can't the computer industry be like that again?!?

STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Remember The Days Of Cpu Freedom? Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 07:54 PM Reply

Seems like the 90's still had their fair share of socket changes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Remember The Days Of Cpu Freedom? Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 11:04 PM Reply

At 9/19/12 07:54 PM, STEM wrote: Seems like the 90's still had their fair share of socket changes

My point is that all the earlier CPU sockets up to Super Socket 7, and even Socket 370, were shared among all the competing CPU manufacturers.

Yes, newer sockets replaced older ones, but every CPU company could develop their own CPUs for another company's (Intel's usually) socket.

vannila-guerilla
vannila-guerilla
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Remember The Days Of Cpu Freedom? Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 11:12 PM Reply

Because at the time the computer market sucked because it was virtually dominated by Intel and it was before the early 2000's boom where Apple rose from the grave and cheaper computers made competition easier. Before that there were one size fits all sockets so these companies could make money from things even if their computers wouldn't sell.

At least that's the way I see it.

Be Billy's FriendlBe Billy's Followerl Wii U name: Billy_Martin l PSN: Opackersfan

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Remember The Days Of Cpu Freedom? Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 11:23 PM Reply

The golden age of computing is over man.
I was born in 94, I can't believe I missed it. If I had just been born even a decade earlier I could have witnessed it's majesty.

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Remember The Days Of Cpu Freedom? Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 04:22 AM Reply

At 9/19/12 11:23 PM, GuerrilleroHeroico wrote: If I had just been born even a decade earlier I could have witnessed it's majesty.

Yeah, that's one thing I got that you don't.

And a dick.
JK

Anyway, I've had all sorts of computers from an Apple 2 and XT, to a 386, 486, Pentium, and Pentium II - All just in the '90s alone!

Razz
Razz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Remember The Days Of Cpu Freedom? Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 04:40 AM Reply

At 9/19/12 06:46 PM, Painbringer wrote: It was the 1990s:

Both Intel and AMD, as well as all the other manufacturers, all shared the same sockets, and any CPU could be overclocked at the flip of a jumper or bios setting - Some even well beyond their rated speed!

Why can't the computer industry be like that again?!?

Computers were more simple from an engineering perspective, so-called "crazy speeds" back then wouldn't even be tolerated today. But I don't call that freedom. What I miss were the days before so many businesses had their greedy fucking hands out in the internet. When most users were truly anonymous, before myspace, before facebook. Back when people used dogpile more than Google, and people still used Ask Jeeves. Back when people still used those old school AOL Instant Messenger chat rooms. The internet was largely more innocent, I'd most compare it to any "anything goes" college party.

And you had fucking cool games, StarCraft, Diablo 2, Quake III Arena, Duke Nukem 3D. Most new computer games have been softened down 3 notches.

I don't miss the 90s. I miss the time before businesses and international enforcement agencies put their hand on each of our shoulders.

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Remember The Days Of Cpu Freedom? Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 06:16 AM Reply

At 9/20/12 04:40 AM, Razz wrote: and people still used Ask Jeeves.

Ask Jeeves sucked.

Back when people still used those old school AOL Instant Messenger chat rooms.

Those sucked too

I don't miss the 90s. I miss the time before businesses and international enforcement agencies put their hand on each of our shoulders.

True

akmeteor
akmeteor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Remember The Days Of Cpu Freedom? Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 06:18 AM Reply

...I still have an Apple II in my basement back home....

Well.

Shit.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Remember The Days Of Cpu Freedom? Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 06:20 AM Reply

At 9/20/12 06:18 AM, akmeteor wrote: ...I still have an Apple II in my basement back home....

Before Apple became the horrid company it is now.

akmeteor
akmeteor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Remember The Days Of Cpu Freedom? Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 06:31 AM Reply

At 9/20/12 06:20 AM, BumFodder wrote:
At 9/20/12 06:18 AM, akmeteor wrote: ...I still have an Apple II in my basement back home....
Before Apple became the horrid company it is now.

As a complete and utter fucking nerd I am on orgasming over silly things. I love just starting that thing up every few months and have give myself some programming lessons.

Also, I just love the noise the hardware makes.

Well.

Shit.

Dogmeat
Dogmeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Movie Buff
Response to Remember The Days Of Cpu Freedom? Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 09:54 AM Reply

At 9/20/12 04:40 AM, Razz wrote: And you had fucking cool games, StarCraft, Diablo 2, Quake III Arena, Duke Nukem 3D. Most new computer games have been softened down 3 notches.

The reason older games were harder(Which is what I think you're saying) was because they had little content due to various restrictions, so the only way they could make play time longer was by making it crazy hard. Now a days we can make single player campaigns pretty long with a good story and plenty of content.

I AM THREAD KILLER!

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Remember The Days Of Cpu Freedom? Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 04:02 PM Reply

At 9/20/12 09:54 AM, Dogmeat wrote: The reason older games were harder(Which is what I think you're saying) was because they had little content due to various restrictions, so the only way they could make play time longer was by making it crazy hard. Now a days we can make single player campaigns pretty long with a good story and plenty of content.

All the FPS, RTS and RPG games of the '90s were relatively easy compared to the 2D classic arcade and action platformer games of the time.

And all this despite having minimal story.