I was hesitant to post about this but I wanted to get feedback.
I've been thinking that for the upcoming Jam (September 28th), the theme could be to animate a strip from a specific web comic. I won't reveal which because that would give people a head start - but you likely won't guess which one. I'm talking to the creator now just to see if he'd be game.
I think it has a lot of strips that could translate well to animated form, but some of the potential pitfalls of this:
1) You wouldn't really be bringing your own art style / characters to this, although really no one can stop you from re-imagining the visuals.
2) Writers wouldn't really get involved in this jam since it's already written.
3) Need to flesh out the rights with the owner and stuff like whether people could put it on their YouTube pages or if it would just remain on NG, and if you put it on YouTube can you run ads, etc. etc.
The upsides to this:
1) You get a clear narrative and characters to work with, so you can just animate animate animate.
2) Voice actors should like it.
3) Fans of the particular web comic would see how awesome NG is.
4) Web comic gets great exposure too.
But what do YOU think? Sound like a fun concept for a 48 hour jam?